MMJ21 – They’re Changing Guards At Buckingham Palace

There’s a reason I’m laughing so much – Hugh has a VERY firm grip. Since I began Me Made June, I have become an expert on hugs. Hugh gives excellent hug.

It was such a lovely, sunny day. I know, I thought. I’ll pop by Buckingham Palace and see if they’re changing the guard. As you do. Here’s Buck Palace in all its glory:

When I spotted Hugh, I knew immediately that I had to be photographed with him. The bowler hat, the suit, the highly polished shoes and the tightly furled umbrella. There is going to be a day in the future when no one dresses like this any more.

Hugh and his daughter were charm personified. I fell in love with them immediately. I could not have possibly known how much extra joy they were about to bring into my life and Me Made June.

As I thanked Hugh for the photo op I was vaguely aware of a commotion going on behind me. Hugh pointed over my shoulder before going to join someone. ‘You can get a snap of my son too,’ he said casually.

When I looked round, this was happening:

Can you see the excitement?

The crowd went mad and I don’t blame them. I’d just been photographed with Hugh – and his son was a Queen’s Guard wearing a bear skin!

There is so much I love about this photo. The incredibly touching realisation that an elderly father turns up in his best togs to wait at the locked gates of Buckingham Palace for his son to emerge. That he then marches alongside his son, both of them dignified in the face of over-excited tourists (and me) with cameras.

I followed behind Guy and Hugh with their sister and daughter and she explained that Guy is an officer and Hugh had done National Service. You can’t see them, but Hugh is wearing red socks that match his son’s uniform.

I think this is the best lunch hour I’ve ever spent. I’m wearing my Fields of Gold skirt.

They’re changing guards at Buckingham Palace,

Christopher Robin went down with Alice.

Alice is marrying one of the guards

‘A soldier’s life is terribly hard.’

Said Alice!

46 Responses to MMJ21 – They’re Changing Guards At Buckingham Palace

1. Debi says:

WOW! Hugh is so lovely! What a neat experience!!!

2. Marie says:

My favourite of your MMJ posts to date! How touching, Hugh’s a legend!

3. Kirsty says:

Karen, this is my favourite one yet, you’ve outdone yourself!

4. Portia says:

Gah! My absolute favourite to date!! There are very few “Hugh’s” like that left. I once had a work client, an old fashioned dapper gent; who would ALWAYS walk on the side of the pavement nearest the cars. Always hold open doors. He would ALWAYS stand up when I left the table, and always stand up again when I came back in; only sitting down again himself, once he had pulled out the chair for me. My glass of champagne (oh how I used to love our client lunches!) would be expertly topped up with the skill of a high class maitre de. Never empty. Always tastefully full. Just gorgeous….
    Ah, Hugh! Such devotion coupled with such style. He looks straight out of an episode of The Avengers doesn’t he?! I think he’d be on my fantasy dinner party guest list….what a wonderful man.
    Thankyou Karen. That really made me smile (and brought a bit of a lump to my throat to be honest!)
    Px

5. grenouille78 says:

Wow, I love Hugh right down to the contrasting pocket handkerchief. And now I feel like I’ve brushed fame just seeing these pics! What a day for you!

6. Melizza says:

I feel the giddiness you must have felt taking these photos. They are truly fabulous.

7. molly says:

This is really cool for you, wish I could have been there too!
    Where is that last quote from, I’m not familiar with it?

8. Dibs says:

Hugh is an absolute legend. I can see how proud he is of his son. aww…

Reminds me of my mom. she would do that, come see me do whatever. I remember when i was a freshman (too too many years ago), and we had a cultural night on campus. my friends and I were doing an Aaliyah song, and when I came up on stage, I saw my mom in the crowd. I was the only student with a parent in the crowd. Mortified, I certainly was. and to top it off, she sent my younger brother on stage to give me money as a sign of encouragement. I’m surprised I lived to tell the tale.

9. Diana says:

What lovely photos and a great story! You can just tell by Hugh’s face he’s a good man. :-)

10. KC says:

Just wonderful.

11. GretchenH says:

For a minute, I thought you were hanging out with John Steed! What a wonderful photo and memory! And I adore your outfit: the striped top goes great with your skirt.

12. Debbie Cook says:

Fantastic photos and such a GREAT story. I’m going to be sad when your MMJ is over.

13. Sarah says:

This is such a great post!! I love your gold skirt. Hugh is fab in all his dapper glory and to be able to be THAT CLOSE to a Queen’s Guard is pretty awesome!!!

14. alex says:

This is wonderful! What a truly lovely encounter.

15. Carolyn says:

I have soooooo enjoyed your MMJ! I’ve been lurking reading the posts every few days to see what new adventure you thought up to share with us while wearing one of your wonderful creations! This one topped them all! What will you do for the rest of the month because this is just awesome!

16. Maryanne says:

Brought a wee tear to my eye too. Poem is by AA Milne, I can hum the tune but not sure why I know it. I am very old (even older than you Karen!) so childhood memories are even vaguer. ;-)
    That was a beautiful post and again, thank you for bringing MJ alive for us, and for helping to salve the reverse homesickness of a kiwi who wants more than anything to be back in the UK!

17. Sharon says:

Oh Karen, what a lovely MMJ post! Hugh is absolutely darling and the entire story made my day.

18. Suze says:

That’s really special. It certainly has made the month worth it right there! Think who you might meet if you did htis every day for a year?

19. Dilly says:

Such a lovely story, so exciting and also so touching. You must be having so much fun meeting all these interesting people.

20. Kathryn says:

What a wonderful story – it really made me think how much happiness and love there is in the world that we just miss every day in our rush to go about our lives. Sounds like the photo project has been a great opportunity to become a bit more aware of what is going on around you – definitely something I think we could all benefit from doing a bit more often, especially in a big busy city like London. You’ve reinforced my faith in humanity Karen – thank you! And your skirt is gorgeous too!

21. Tilly says:

Brilliant! Crikey, what a commotion going on behind Hugh and Guy. Is that Carol Middleton?!

22. djpaterson says:

Absolutely wonderful! What a great story (and photos) to start my day off with. Thanks for sharing, Karen.

23. Roobeedoo says:

Talk about a photo opportunity!
    I am surprised you haven’t been approached by The Guardian to publish your me-made-June!

24. Jane says:

Oh Karen this is my favourite MMJ post by far. When I scrolled down and saw Hugh marching alongside his son I actually blubbed. And the red socks!! That bit made me blub too! x

25. Thank you, one and all, for your fabulous comments. This little adventure would mean nothing without all of you by my side!

26. Clare says:

Wow! Most of your posts make me laugh out loud but I teared up at this one – in a good way! So lovely to capture moments like that, regardless of what your wearing.

27. Clare says:

regardless of what you’re wearing, I meant!

28. Tamsin says:

Fab outfit as usual, but what a touching story. Glad I’m not the only one who teared up!

29. Eugenia says:

Us Londoners never do the things we should – Tower of London, Westminster Abbey etc etc. I’m so glad that you took the time to go and see the changing of the guard. Loved the pictures – Hugh and his son (doesn’t he look amazing!!!) also brought a tear to my eyes. Oh and the skirt – fabulous!

30. Gemma says:

What a lovely little story – so touching. A little ray of sunshine. I love the contrast of the elegant and composed walk of the father and son and the chaos behind them!

31. Susan S says:

Look at the people in the background of the pic with Hugh and Guy….. the lady in the salmon hat urgenty has to go somewhere, she’s prancing she’s so excited. The man just behind Guy’s left should has his hands in his pocket, completely relaxed and indifferently observing. Think he’s American? Do Americans look like this at Buckingham Palace? Then there’s the lady between the two gentlemen; she is trying to accomplish something very quickly, but her eyes and full attention is glued to Hugh, or somebody just to Hugh’s right. The little boy beyond that lady is not happy about the situation at all. I can practically hear the shuffling of quickly moving feet, all the way to Washington, D.C.!

Lovely picture! And I do adore Hugh.

32. Clare S says:

Aww, what a lovely story to go with your MMJ post! How sweet are Hugh and his family? Brought a little tear to my eye, too.

I love that he had red socks, too!

33. Jennifer says:

I love these posts!! I’ll be sad when Me Made June is over….

34. oonaballoona says:

hands so down they are up: best MMJ ever. i kind of want you to do it forever.

35. Fay V says:

This was so lovely and had me blubbing at my computer – I’ve just come back from hols and it’s so lovely to see all that is wonderful about Britain. I love the Christopher Robin song, I remember jumping along the pavements with my mum (trying hard not to stand on the lines!!) and singing that with her. Thank you – I love your blog, you make me laugh out loud at my computer at least once a day!

36. Bold Sewist says:

How wonderful – I have tears in my eyes! x

37. Valerie S. says:

I am going to be so sad when your “month of being photographed with other random folks” is over — it has been so terribly charming. This was my favorite though, so absolutely had to comment. What a lovely post. :) I hope they’re all readers so can see your lovely pictures!

38. bevog says:

I love this! You made my day.

39. Uta says:

I think you should get paid by the London tourist office (or are you?). Thank you for glimpses of my favorite city. Oh, and you look lovely!

40. indigorchid says:

Aw… Thank you so much for reminding me that life is full of amazing, wonderous moments if I open myself up for them.

41. Pingback: Where Are The Men? | Did You Make That?