Sorbetto – Three Times A Lady

I’ll keep it short and sweet – this is my third Sorbetto, after all.

I could see that this drapey fabric wouldn’t hold a pleat well, so I went with the inverted pleat as championed here by Miss P and Casey’s Elegant Musings. If you also add three inches to the length, you have the perfect tunic top to go with jeans.

TOP TIP Add a second row of sewing (right on top of the first row) to the bottom of the inverted pleat, because there’s going to be a lot of strain with your bazoomas.

SECOND TOP TIP If you’re in the London area and near the Tate Modern, buy some French curves from their gift shop (or online here). They’re lovely and tactile and half the price of French curves on sewing websites. The only drawback is there are no measurements on these, but unless you’re doing pattern drafting I suspect this won’t be a problem.

I have another lovely top that will always remind me of my weekend in Leigh-on-Sea with Miss P. If you’re working with this fabric be aware that it frays like mad. But otherwise, it’s a corker!

Right. I’m off to Somerset House, wearing my new top. Happy Sundays, everyone!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Sorbetto – Three Times A Lady

1. ooobop says:

That’s really pretty Karen. I prefer the inverted pleat. Gives it a nicer shape. x

2. Dibs says:

its really pretty Karen. I just might try the inverted pleat when I make this again.

3. Shivani says:

I’ve just finished my second, also with the inverted pleat! Yours looks lovely x

4. Lisa says:

Very pretty Karen , I think I also prefer the inverted pleat.

5. Michelle says:

I love the inverted pleat! So classic. Good tip about the bazoomas straining the pleat though.

6. Alessa says:

Pretty! I like the tunic-y look on you!

7. Shelly says:

I love the fabric you used this time and I think the longer length is good too. I can’t wait till Summer comes round ‘cos I’ve got several fabrics in mind to make the Sorbetto.

8. prttynpnk says:

I must confess to a Sorbetto fear- it’s the bias tape edging- but yours are so pretty- my sorbetto envy will get the best of me, I just knoiw it!

9. New Yorker says:

Thanks for the info. BTW, none of my French curves have markings. Your photo doesn’t include the most basic one, which I believe is called a Dietzgen 17.

10. molly says:

Very pretty fabric

11. Sandy says:

Your Sorbetto is lovely. I wasn’t convinced I wanted to make it before now, but wow! And I love your necklace. The two go together very well.

12. Suzanne says:

Beautiful job, as usual! Thanks for the pleat trick too.

13. Trisha says:

Love this version of the Sorbetto! But did you use bias binding on the edges? From the close up picture, it almost looks like you used another technique?

14. Stevie says:

Lovely! I need to use up my cherry print! Thats a great pattern for it!

15. Clazzerati says:

Ooo that top is lovely. Big fan of the bias tape, it just seems to finish an top/dress off so nicely! The photography course was really good, it was with a company called Frui and I can’t recommend my teacher, Will, enough! Hope you had a lovely Sunday and managed to avoid the showers! x

16. Omega Brooks says:

Very pretty top, looks great in that fabric and the inverted pleat.

17. Gorgeous Karen! I really prefer the inverted pleats on the Sorbettos I’ve seem to the original pleat on the pattern. And you fabric is so lustrous and buttery looking, the top is fab :)

Re: french curves for anyone shopping for the this is Tate Modern’s shop link, they’re selling them for £6.75 each (+ £3.60 P&P within the UK). But, you can get the transparent plastic kind (exact same shape) on eBay for less than £3 quid including the P&P!

18. Camilla says:

Loving your blog – it’s got me back into sewing again and I’m on my way to completing 2 sorbettos. Thanks for the tip about doing an inverted pleat on silky fabric. I’m impressed by how quick you sew. Love seeing all the new makes.

19. I love this Sorbetto, the fabric is gourgeous! Strange though, this post came through on my Reader yesterday (5 September), how weird is that? At least it’s reminded me about the French curves though! Serendipity! I’m planning to go to Goldhawk Rd for the first time on Saturday, methinks I might just have to find time to go via the Tate Modern too. I shall be busy!

20. Clever blonde Donna G says:

I haven’t commented much, been reading your entire blog ths week. But I just gotta say this sorbet to looks superb. The color looks amazing on you.

21. Clever blonde Donna G says:

Hey spell checker it’s Sorbetto!