Scaring The Dons

My trip to MacCulloch & Wallis (on the right of this photo) didn’t turn out quite as planned. I turned the corner and got the shock of my life. Unbelievably, no one was hurt in this incident but it really rattled me to see this.

Instead of spending my pennies in this shop, I went to John Lewis and bought some beautiful lining for my coat. I then wandered down Berwick Street in search of underlining. I didn’t find any, but I didn’t mind too much – average prices in those shops seem to be about £50 a metre. I’d love to know who can afford or justify these spends! I mean, even if I could afford it I’m not sure I wouldn’t begrudge it. There’s gotta be another way… Or perhaps these are the shops you go to for that once-in-a-lifetime dress. Dunno. They’re clearly thriving!

In other news, I made another V1179! Don’t feel obliged to comment; this is my third make, after all. It’s an almost faithful rip off of Leopard Anchor’s version. Hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

And finally, check out the nail transfers! I’m old enough to know better but I really don’t care. This stuff is FUN. I’m at the Cambridge Literary Festival today. I hope my nails don’t scare the dons.

21 Responses to Scaring The Dons

1. oonaballoona says:

i DO feel obliged to comment, you supermodel with the fancy fancy fingers! you look so chic!!! even the sun wants to be your personal spotlight!

that collapse is horrifying. i mean, those things are everywhere…

2. Suzy says:

I did see this in their facebook page and remember reading you were going there. Horrible things, how can something that’s supposed to be safe and properly secured collapse. Scary!

3. Suzanne says:

I like the nails! Glad no one was injuried in the collapse.

4. Juliab says:

Most Berwick Street shops are kept going by theatre costumers and big budget shows. If the costume designers can be bothered or have time to go to Goldhawk Road or better, Birmingham, they do, but most of the time they only have enough time to nip ‘next door’.

5. ooobop! says:

Wow. That first picture is a bit of a shocker! I’ve always wondered about Berwick Street prices… that makes perfect sense, Juliab.

6. Roobeedoo says:

You get around don’t you? ;)
    Fab dress… and nails too of course!
    Good to keep those academic types on their toes – do tell more about the festival!

7. Sarah says:

Oh, I am all about fun nails! Love yours :)

8. MrsC says:

Berwick Street fascinated me – all these shops with pretty much the same stock, and appalling service, universally. They have taken ignoring the customer to whole new heights of sophistication!
    Dreadful about that collapse. Having ahd an entire city do it here due to an earthquake we’ve gotten used to it in a weird way but it is always shocking that structures we take for granted give up!

9. Felicity from Down Under says:

you know what they say about the dons – they “may look dry and dusty, but under the gown you will find a clown who’s game for anything lusty”. (Salad Days, in case you think I’m not citing my sources.)

10. Version 3 has a very different vibe to the other two, but I like them all! This one seems more casual although it might just be the styling.

Scary about the scaffolding. Thank goodness no one got hurt.

11. stitchywitch says:

I like the idea of 1179 as a layering piece – very chic with the shirt underneath!

I have those nail decals and I love them. I am also old enough to know better, but I don’t care! The leopard prints are my favorite!

12. Rehanon says:

Lovely nails and my Nan you used to say you’re never too old to be fabulous ;-)

13. Elena Cresci says:

I think it’d be great if your nails scared the dons :P

What’s the fabric selection like at your local John Lewis? The Cardiff one is app the biggest one outside London yet I find the selection somewhat lacking.

14. Alessa says:

Another lovely V1179! Striped nails! Cambridge! :D
    I really love the nails…

15. Amelia says:

I love nail transfers, I use them all the time! I am terrible at painting my nails and I’m too cheap to got to the salon on any kind of regular basis so the transfers work perfectly.

16. Gaylene says:

Passing Berwick Street a few months ago, and saw some fab fringed leather fabric which would have made an amazing skirt – £25 per metre, yeah, bargain!!! Fortunately my husband noticed the tiny little 0 I had missed – yep, £250 per metre, gulp….

17. Swoosh says:

I find that the Cloth Shop on Berwick St that is closer to Oxford St (basically the first fabric shop when walking from Oxford St) does have some affordable things – and they don’t keep synthetics, which I am most grateful for. The other Cloth Shop is for much more theatrical stuff, I didn’t find anything remotely interesting in there.

I’ve bought some cotton poplin at 8 pounds at the Cloth Shop, and you can get denim/etc starting from 10ish pounds as well (or at least you could when I was there last in June). I can’t really go shop in there for everything I make, but they do have some good deals if you’re looking for natural fabrics.

18. Itsmeag says:

I love your version of V1179. I would like to make it as a tunic to wear over a long sleeved t shirt like you have. Some of the reviews I’ve read say the armhole is quite high. Have you enlarged it for this version of the dress?

19. I got the V1179 due to all the awesome versions across the blogosphere (including yours) but winters almost here and I haven’t gotten around to making it so I’m doing a giveaway =D. So if you know anyone that’s hankering for it send them round to my blog.