The 2011 Sewing Oscars

I’ve been SO entertained of late by all the bloggers out there. Before we bid farewell to 2011, I thought it might be nice to have a little award ceremony and bring Hollywood home to the kids who stitch.

Here, in no particular order, and based on totally subjective and personal choice, is a run down of true Oscar winners. We may not have the likes of Ricky Gervais to offend audience ¬†members and you won’t have had time to prepare your acceptance speeches, but let’s roll out the red carpet and say hello to the little gold man.

First up, the Oscar for Best Visual Effects goes to Liza Jane Sews!

The Green Stripey Dress totally has to be the most creatively inspiring make of the year for me. It came from a lesson Liza gave her first grade pupils! She made a dress from their paintings! It’s just so clever, so warm-hearted and original. I love it and so did Burda.

Moving on to Oscar for Best Comedy:

Scruffy Badger has been hosting a sewalong for the very lovely New Look 6000. She’s also been making me scream with laughter at my desk. This is Scruffy in a wig, posing as an air hostess when the plane is about to go down. Ignore the suburban garden in the background, just imagine the smoke and the flames and Scruffy calmly pouring you another dry martini.

Someone in California please give this woman her own spoof air disaster movie.

Okay, toilet break whilst the ads are running? Quick – back to your seats. Next up is the Oscar for Best Actor in a Supporting Role:

This is Ruggy. He’s married to Oonaballoona, who recently blogged about sewing for her husband here. Other than Peter at Male Pattern Boldness, he may be the most famous man in sewing blogland. He’s certainly patient, encouraging and supportive of Oonaballoona’s creations. Too good to be true? No, partners like Ruggy really do exist. If you don’t have your own Ruggy (and word has it Oonaballoona refuses to hire him out) you could make do with Ryan as recently shared by Gertie:

Moving on! The Oscar for Best Dance Direction goes to Roobeedoo:

I love Roobeedoo. She’s a free spirit, and then some. She used to live in Walthamstow, same as me, but the energy here wasn’t big enough for her so she moved to the open skies and shimmering lakes of Scotland. I want to meet Roobeedoo one day and learn some free style dance from her.

Some of the audience members are getting a little whoozy, so I think we should hasten on. Let’s take a look at Oscar for Best Make Up:

What Cathy from Male Pattern Boldness can’t do with a stub of eye liner and a wand of caked mascara ain’t worth doing. She even manages to employ random New Yorkers to help maintain her look when out and about. I’d love to plunder this woman’s make-up secrets but she’s taken out a restraining order on me. Cathy invented class – and then gave it a swipe of gloss.

Last but not least is the Oscar for Best Art Direction:

In October Casey hosted a circle skirt sewalong. I found the resulting skirts absolutely fascinating to hear about – all so diverse. You can see them here and here. Casey was the perfect teacher and host and the whole event was testament to the strengths of the sewing community: friendship and creativity.

That’s it from me! Which blogger or blog post would you nominate for an Oscar and why? Watch out for the paps on your way out – I don’t want to hear about any unfortunate incidents at Elton John’s after-Oscars party…

Thank you to all the bloggers from whom I borrowed photos.

FAVOURITE OSCAR QUOTE

“Put down that stick, I’m going to be here for a while . . . I love it up here! I love the world! I’m so happy, thank you . . . A girl’s got to have her moment. Everybody tries to get me to shut up. It didn’t work with my parents and it didn’t work now.”¬†Julia Roberts rebels against the 45-second limit on acceptance speeches

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The 2011 Sewing Oscars

1. KristenMakes says:

LOVE this post! Great idea, congratulations to all the winners!!

2. Joanne says:

I nominate your good self Karen! Oscar for ‘Best Director’ for the amazing Snood around the world! You got the best from your cast, made stars of all of us and left us all wanting more. When’s the sequel?

3. Sophia says:

Oh, that’s funny. Thanks for the new blogs to read.

4. Roobeedoo says:

Oh sweet mama, this is too terribly awfully funny – moi?! Oh – what can I say? I would like to thank my husband’s dog, for his unfailing patience during the endless rehearsals of “Fame – I’m gonna live forever”, when all he really wants to do is chase rabbits in the top woods… And I would like to thank the neighbours for not driving into the yard while I am deeply engrossed in a choreographic spectacular at twilight. And most of all I would like to thank Karen, for providing the inspiration to up-the-ante when it comes to blog photography. LOL. Pass the champers, child!

5. happyhermit says:

I am voting for the ‘did you make that’ lady. Stylish, funny, posts regularly (i love that, i can’t wait a week for another update!). Thanks for spreading the snood love (i am on number 4 with more to go!). I like your mix of posts … knitting, lego trees, sewing … the woman even has a crochetoliser (sp?). I have been inspired to visit Walthamstow market! Thanks Karen and keep up the good work!

6. Abby says:

Love this post! It’s a great idea! I’ll have to check out Scruffybadger’s blog now, too!

7. #Coughs# and #coughs# again. Karen, you are too kind. Words fail me, & as I am a shy retiring type that hides from all forms of attention & I’d just like to say (whilst blushing up to the roots of my wig) thank you for appreciating some (fellow) madness. I have a few blogging muses, & wouldn’t be able to mention all of them here, but Roobeedoo is one (I think she blogs with gay abandon- witness the pink corduroy ). I also totally appreciate your off the wall blogging,your cheesy visits down memory lane & bringing people together with laughter – arranging fabric binge buying and laughing in the face of disaster with the Ugly Amnesty. I’d also like to mention Dolly Clackett, & her individual blogging style & style blogging- she tickles me too. What blockbusters will 2012 bring? Thank you x

8. oonaballoona says:

oh my god karen this is TOO AWESOME. i’ll have to alert ruggy to prepare a drink. i mean, a speech.

9. LinB says:

Karen, of course, has already received her Oscar for technical merit, at the no-longer-televised separate ceremony for those who “make the magic happen.” She is far too modest to have boasted about her little golden man, to make the rest of us envious. Merry Christmas to all, and happy sewing!

10. Lisa says:

I love you so much , you always make me laugh ..I nominate you for funniest sewing blog poster :-)

11. Sarah says:

How fantastic! What great choices, too. I was shouting with laughter at Scruffy’s air hostess post, too. LOL!

I’d like to nominate The Sew Weekly ladies (Mena, Sarah, Debi, Veronica, and Adey) for an Oscar for Best Ensemble. This year has been terrific on TSW and I have look forward to every post.

For Most Diverse Actress, I’d like to nominate Alessa of Farbenfreude. She sews. She cooks. She knits. AND she’s a full-time medical student!!

Last, but certainly not least! I nominate you, dear Karen, for sparking the Snood Frenzy! :) Well done!

12. liza jane says:

Oh my! You like me, you really like me!
    Ok, sorry for the silly Sally Field reference. I’m just so tickled for the award! Made my day. I nominate you for Best Series for your Me Made June adventures. The title “Library- where shhh happens” may be my favorite title ever.

13. Janice says:

I love your version of the year end review!

14. Pingback: Oonaballoona’s Pyjama Party Sweeteeny Tini Cocktail | Did You Make That?

15. Pingback: A Year In Review – The Movie Way | Did You Make That?