V1247 – French Seam Dream

This is the V1247 blouse – a pattern I fell deeply in love with after seeing it on Handmade by Carolyn’s blog. It hasn’t disappointed. If you love a French seam, you will adore this blouse. The pattern instructs you to use French seams throughout. If you want to understand the level of construction this involves, it’s best to look at the line drawing:

Here’s a detail of the French seams on the inside, if you can make them out:

The fabric, you ask? The most beautiful cotton, an utter delight to work with, £3 a metre from the man outside Sainsburys on a Saturday at Walthamstow market. Get yourself down there. Ask if he can do you a deal on the price. You’ll get two metres for £5. Quite.

To give you a few more details on the pattern: it has kimono sleeves, two cute pleats on the front and back shoulders, turn up sleeve hems (which I sewed down) and a curved waist hem. It’s just gorgeous. You’ll want to use your notches to place things very carefully because, as you can see, there are a lot of seams congregating and you’ll get frustrated if they don’t meet.

Some people have been concerned about the roominess of this top, but it is meant to be loose-fitting. I cut according to my bust size, knowing that my waist and hips are large compared to these measurements. I then used fairly generous seam allowances and, job done. Sack Attack neatly avoided!

As if this dream of a top isn’t enough, the pattern includes a skirt that I also desperately want to make. Just look at Handmade by Carolyn’s version. To die for! If you are a member of Sew Direct, you can get Vogue patterns half price, with free postage. Which means that for either this top or this skirt, you are paying £3.70 per item. So my bliss top cost me £8.70, plus the pleasure of working with beautiful fabric.

What are you waiting for?

Oh, and one last snap from the canal:

Now, THAT’s a snood!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to V1247 – French Seam Dream

1. Sophia says:

I looooove French seams… they’re beautiful!

Good job on the top! It looks like an all season top.

PS. That snood is the best!

2. debi says:

LOVELY! I’ve never done french seams but I can already tell that I would love them!! And man, what a fabric find. Off to check out Sew Direct now!

3. Roobeedoo says:

Ooh yes – really lovely, and goes so well with that skirt… which you were wearing in Edinburgh and which has been bothering me ever since – what pattern is that? I could trawl through your archives I suppose, but you are so prolific I would be there all day! ;)

4. I’ve recently made both the skirt and the top twice and I really love this pattern. I was especially impressed how easy it was to sew even though the line drawing makes it look as if it might be complicated. I love your version.

5. Lisa says:

Very nice , I love French seams and I do then whenever I can. I love the fabic and the cheapness is awesome.

6. Shivani says:

Really lovely! Dixie DIY made the same blouse this week too. Must try it, and must get down to Walthamstow market v soon! x

7. Leah says:

Oh wow! I would never even attempt french seams that complicated!
    The fabric is lovely I really need to get my ass over to Walthamstow too, you’ve been getting some really good stuf from there recently!
    x

8. cjgal says:

I just finished making this top as well in a satin material. I love how yours turned out, your French seams look so professional! This was my first experience with French seams and they were not nearly as scary as I thought they’d be. My big struggle was with the cuffs but I think my fabric choice is to blame. I’m sure he cotton made this top a breeze!

9. rachel says:

Ooooh – I love it! It would be gorgeous in a solid too – will you make more? Beautiful french seams too. Wish I had a Walthamstow Market to go to – cotton like that here would cost me an arm and a leg.

10. prttynpnk says:

I love this pattern and I really love how you’ve styled it! Too pretty!

11. Marie says:

I heart this so much Karen…the style, the fabric, the french seams. It’s completely faultless and you’ve styled it perfectly! Your birdie necklace is adorable too.

I’m now seriously considering booking a day off work, jumping on a train to London and hitting Walthampstow Market and re-visiting Goldhawk Road!

12. Suze says:

I’ve made two blouses and love them! They were really fast and easy and I feel beautiful in them. I also can avoid wearing a bra. Yay for comfy summer clothes! Never thought of wearing a tshirt under them.

I’ve also made two skirts from that pattern. I DID NOT make the self bias binding but did flat fell seams instead. Left off the front pockets on one but like it better with pockets than without. Also lengthened a lot. It’s a great little skirt.

13. kbenco says:

So pretty and completely un-sack like.
    I am wildly jealous of your fabric sources.

14. liza jane says:

Ah, yes- I’ve had my eye on that pattern. Your version is lovely! Such perfect french seams!

15. LinB says:

You look like a walking rose garden! Lovely blouse.

16. Felicity from Down Under says:

A very nice make using lovely fabric, the latter fuelling my jealousy as ever! (It really isn’t possible to get fabric that cheaply here.) It looks cold over there so that snood, while somewhat over the top, is probably just the thing. Eye-catching, anyway!

17. Margaret says:

I was taught to sew at primary school back in 1950. We didn’t have a sewing machine then, and nor did the school, so we all had to make dresses BY HAND, using French seams throughout. I was one of the few who actually finished and wore my dress, but I was put off French seams for life! That said, I love your top, and may just get over my aversion and make one for my daughter.

18. lysy says:

Lovely top – and lovely setting! I have a question about French seams though – how do you fit the top given that you sort of already have to commit to the size of the seam? I’ve been pondering this for a while and haven’t really got anywhere -any tips would be great!

19. What a great look, what a great top. There’s something eminently pretty/ quirky & very wearable about it – looks fab & an amazing pattern – I probably wouldn’t have given it a second glance if not for you ….

20. Alessa says:

Hah, I thought I recognized the fabric! :)
    Actually, I was a bit too shy to ask directly if you’d want to meet. I’ve never actually met a sewing blogger before! And I wasn’t quite sure if I’d actually make it to Walthamstow. I also came through Paddington Station and missed the bear! Ah well, maybe next time. :)

21. Pingback: Ooh, OWOP! | Did You Make That?

22. Pingback: Vogue 1247Scruffy Badger Time

23. Pingback: V1247 – An American Dream | Did You Make That?

24. Pingback: Style rules, what are yours?

25. Pingback: V1247 – Skirt To Go With The Blouse! | Did You Make That?

26. Pingback: V1247 – Three Times A Lady | Did You Make That?