Choo-choo! Train Coming Through

Ola! As you may have detected from my last blog post, I’ve spent the last week feeling horribly out of control of my own life. Which, for a control freak, is not a good place to be. Thank goodness, this weekend I’ve steered my train back on track and feel much more serene.

I had three aims:

• Get a bit of sewing done, no matter how tiny.
  • Do some writing! (Not blog writing. The other kind.)
  • Squeeze in a 9-mile run for my half marathon training.

My favourite sewing moments happened early in the mornings. I’ve made good progress on my Minoru jacket and have even been experimenting with patch pockets to go on the front panels:

It’s so nice to have actually – you know – done some sewing.

I spent Saturday on the South Bank writing. I was in the Royal Festival Hall where some Weirdness Of Interactive Creative Something Mad was going on:

There were a lot of these adolescent theatre students prancing around with light fittings on their heads. My favourite moment was when a toddler cocked her head back to gawp at me in the way only a very young child can entirely GAWP. The expression on her face was priceless, as these actors pranced around: ‘What. The. Hell. Is. Going. On?’ Her father (who I didn’t know from Adam) and I burst out laughing.

And today I got out for my run, taking in Hackney, Bethnal Green, Brick Lane and Liverpool Street. Top tip for avoiding running boredom – take lots of snaps on your iPhone:

Ten out of ten to Fehr Trade if she spots a certain logo in this shot!

Columbia Street Market

Finally, I should mention some lovely gifts I received for my birthday. A clapper!

And this gorgeous card from Handmade Jane:

I’m so getting this card framed. Isn’t it to die for?

Yes, that is a little scrap of fabric sewn onto the card. Sweet? So sweet my head could explode with happiness.

Right, I’m off to eat risotto. I think I’m officially back in the groove! Hope you’ve all had good weekends, people.

15 Responses to Choo-choo! Train Coming Through

1. how sweet !!! Happy birthday !!!

Yes I know the feeling of life happening an you too busy to think and where the time gone for pleasurable things like sewing??

I hope after finishing my management strategy assignment tonight I will finish sewing my valentines red dress …

2. Yay!! Sounds like a good productive weekend. Well done on your run too!

3. Debi says:

I’m feeling back on the train this weekend too! Absolutely love that card…Jane is such a sweetie! Hope you had a great run!!

4. gingermakes says:

What a gorgeous card! I’m glad you had a fun and productive weekend! Hope your birthday celebrations were lovely!

5. You just made me laugh out loud with the comment about light fittings! Glad things are getting back to normal. And I really like the way you used those wooden eggs in the pics; very stylish.

6. Roobeedoo says:

Lovely pockety goodness! I feel sorry for the drama students, but at least they had costumes. I remember being instructed to “become a tribe” in suburban Hull wearing our normal clothes. It was a truly horrible experience. Great card too!

7. Felicity from Down Under says:

Are they wooden eggs? Oops. I thought they were acorns! Either way, nice pic. Glad you got some sewing done and had a great birthday.

8. Jane says:

Glad to hear you’re back in the groove my friend. The baby looking on in horror at performing arts students made me laugh my head off, as did Roobeedoo’s comment about “becoming a tribe”! x

9. MrsC says:

Very good news :-)

10. Tors says:

Yay for getting back on track! I’m currently experiencing the opposite writing problem, I need to blog not write for work.

I love your pictures of the college students, I’m so glad I’ve never been made to do anything quite that stupid, particularly in public!

11. oonaballoona says:

i love the gawpy shot! it looks just like the kennedy center in DC.

welcome back to the track, birthday girl:)

12. Pingback: Getting Back on Track « Getting Better, Man

13. melissa says:

WEEEEE!! I had to enlarge the picture, but I spotted it (without cheating!) Hello little RDC man! :D

Ten points to Gryffindor, err, me!

And I totally agree on the photo snapping – I’ve taken so freaking many on my long runs (as evidenced by my twitter photo spam every Saturday afternoon…)

14. Alessa says: