Tis done! I feel as though I should be walking through the leafy grounds of Princeton with a varsity scarf around my neck, being clever and charming with my fellow over-achieving students. ‘Beckett, a genius, you say? Ha, ha – I thought Waiting For Godot was utterly transparent.’
So I have finished my Sewaholic Minoru jacket – and added patch pockets. I am the type of person who gets a runny nose the moment she steps outdoors, so I really did need external pockets for the stuffing of tissues. Here’s a glimpse of the handy internal pockets:
I didn’t add the velcro patches that the pattern suggested, as I didn’t trust my delicate silk lining to stand up to the wear and tear of ferocious pulling open of velcro. I love the lining. Here’s a detail in the hood:
The combination of silk and wool is really cosy – I recommend it. Though the bulk of wool explains why it isn’t one of the recommended fabrics for this pattern. Some of the top stitching was challenging to say the least, around bulky corners and seams.
I didn’t make a toile for this coat, just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Like Tasia, I ran out of thread at the eleventh hour and had to cycle down to the market. This make takes a lot of thread – I’d recommend getting 2/3 spools in.
I enjoyed making my patch pockets. I hand sewed them on, so I think I need to be careful about shoving my fists in too forcefully. Are any of you interested in a tutorial for these patch pockets on the Minoru? If so, I’ll put something together.
Back in November, I blogged here, setting myself the challenge of making not one but two coats – the V8548 and this one. Three months later, I’ve managed it. Phew! (Actually, making two coats in three months is pretty good going if you ask me.)
My one moment of confusion in the pattern came when I had to stitch in the ditch of the collar and I discovered this would mean a rather large raw seam inside the zipped collar, where the hood can be tucked away. (If you haven’t made this coat, you won’t know what I’m talking about.) I consulted with the lovely KristenMakes, and have decided to live with this raw seam. I’d love to know what others have done. If I’d known this was coming up, I’d have finished the seam in some way – either with my serger or pinking scissors before it had gone too far along in the construction of the coat. But details, details – this coat’s a corker! I absolutely love the make and think I’m going to be wearing it non-stop. Well, when I’m not wearing the V8548.
Now, I’m going to go and make some nice easy tops and skirts. Nothing too challenging. Not yet, anyway…