Oh Sew Pathetic

Look at that quiet industry. See how the sewing bloggers create. I was at Oh Sew Brixton with Handmade Jane, Tilly and the Buttons, Stitch and Witter and Lazy Stitching¬†- and a few other new friends. I’d loved Tilly’s interview with the owner, Fiona Douglas, and really wanted to meet her, so was more than happy to go along to last night’s meet up on International Women’s Day.

In my mind, 8 March will now forever be known as International Pathetic Woman’s Day. Two hours after arriving at the venue I hadn’t sewn a stitch. That’s how pathetic I was.

How so, Karen? I went off-piste. Fiona presented us with a variety of projects to make. One leapt out at me – covers for iPhones or Kindles. I didn’t need either of those, but I did have a new iPad screaming out for a cover. I’ll just adapt the pattern, I thought. I forgot that I can’t do maths. Seriously, numbers are my nemesis.

Two hours later, I was still adapting that pattern. A simple rectangular pattern probably designed by someone’s genius pre-schooler. Fiona was very patient and did her best to help me. Tilly kept her head bowed over her embroidery and stoically didn’t laugh. Lazy Stitching told me, ‘Baby steps, Karen.’ Stitch and Witter said, ‘It will probably fit something.’ Handmade Jane allowed me to borrow her sewing machine when I became too frazzled to thread my own.

Finally, my work was done. My iPad cover was too small. It was time to go home.

I sat on my sofa, gazing at my lovely new cover for something not an iPad. What a shame. What a waste. Then I stared at my heaving bookshelves, and the penny dropped. A book cover! For all those books that rattle around in my bag, getting dog-eared and scuffed. Success!

Someone asked me recently, ‘Are you the type of person who has loads of bags in her bag?’ I don’t know why she thought that…

One more to add to the mix!

Thank you, Tilly, for organising this lovely meet up. Next time I’ll bring my brain.

In other news, the knitting of the scarflet continues apace. This beauty could be yours if you visit Teen Granny’s Knit Relief Ebay stall on 15 March. I’ll keep you up-to-date with details!

This could be yours!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Oh Sew Pathetic

1. That’s the nicest book cover I ever saw!

2. Joanne says:

Hehe it is beautiful though! Take heart Karen – no more dog-eared reads!

3. Jill says:

Thanks for the giggle-too funny. And only because I know exactly how you feel, maths is scary!

4. Felicity from Down Under says:

What lovely fabric. Who cares if it didn’t turn out to be what you though it was meant to be? It’s useful. What more could you want?

5. Tilly says:

Aha! Your traditionalist subconscious knew it was meant to be a book cover all along! Lovely to see you last night xx

6. Your knitting looks fantastic. Over to Teen Granny. Wish I could have joined you. Hopefully one day!

7. Marie says:

I’m so pleased that someone as talented as you can get a brain block ;o) Numbers totally get the better of me too by the way, even the simplest drafting can take me hours! But your book cover is truly beautiful and actually a great idea. Oh and the scarflet is looking good too!

8. Jane says:

Aha, a BOOK COVER!! That’s inspired Karen. Right, I’m off to make some to sell at my next craft fair for luddites like me without Kindles.
    It was great to see you again, it was such a lovely evening. x

9. Anne W says:

Lovely fabric, and perfect for your books. iPad cover next time?? Looks like a great meet-up.

10. Marianna says:

How anybody got anything done is a wonder: you must have had so much to talk about!

11. Law says:

That’s a lovely book cover, and does make practical sense! Don’t worry I’m in accounting and I am rubbish at mental arithmetic, so doing calculations without a calculator is my nemesis. It’s also my secret shame, so shhhh don’t tell anyone!

12. Love your humor…I am terrible at maths too…Most important is that you had a fun night out

13. shivani says:

ooo – a book cover!!! I need one of those!
    I made an ipad cover using this tutorial : http://incolororder.blogspot.com/2010/07/fabric-envelope-tutorial.html – v easy to scale up (and I’m useless with numbers and scaling!). I used some quilt batting scraps to pad it slightly (ipad it… arf!). easy peasy. x

14. LinB says:

You have other gifts. No one can do everything well. Current wisdom in business circles is to bolster your strengths, compensate for your weaknesses. Let those who can handle maths well do so (don’t look at me, I just managed a passing grade in school. I now rely on the kindness of strangers for math help.) You just keep on putting words together beautifully. And sewing projects, some of which may turn out to be serendipitous.

15. Leah says:

sweet! I’m one of those people with loads of bags in my bag LOL! I love the book cover! xx

16. Portia says:

But look how beautifully made it is Karen!
    Px

17. symondezyn says:

lol thanks for the giggle; sewing bloggers are SO NICE aren’t they? ^_^ wish I could have been there, I bet it was a riot :) Your book cover turned out so nice; and think: when you’re carrying a book around you don’t have to worry about it getting all bashed up anymore! Wait… that’s a good idea…

Love the pic; its like I’m looking at candid camera shots of celebrities :)

18. LLADYBIRD says:

I don’t know why you keep torturing me with photos of you & all my other favorite bloggers hanging out & sewing together! No fair, I want to be in the middle of all that, talking sewing shop with a bunch of cute accents!

I was going to point out that you could always make a Kindle cover for meeee ::bats eyelashes:: but I like your book cover. A book cozy, if you will. I have got to get off the cozy train, I think it’s turning me into an old lady.

19. oonaballoona says:

god i love your stories. i can just picturing you bumping around the class like a pinball while everyone else is accomplishing. next time take me and we’ll keep at least one hand busy with a drink.

20. Debi says:

What a fantastic way to celebrate International Women’s Day! So wish I could have been there! I don’t think your cover is ‘sew pathetic’, I think it’s ‘sew adaptive’ or ‘sew flexible’. hehehehe…maybe I’ve been spending too much time writing research reports :)

21. Pingback: Bloggers of the world (well… a couple of countries) unite! « Stitch and Witter

22. StephC says:

Looks like you all had a lovely day, machine issues aside. :)

I love LOVE that scarflet pattern! I made one last winter and then promptly make three more. Thanks for the reminder!

23. Alessa says:

Gorgeous bookcover, I love the fabric and the little tag closure!
    The scarflet looks lovely!

24. Rachel says:

That’s a perfect example of living by the “when the world hands you lemons, make lemonade” adage. It’s a wonderfully happy book bag.

25. mariadenmark says:

It sounds like you had fun at the sewing meet up anyway. I just wanted you to know, that I did a sort of tutorial on how to make a custom made e-reader or Ipad cover that is shaped like a “real” book: http://blog.mariadenmark.com/?p=639

26. Hello! I found your blog yesterday and I’d like to tell you that it’s awesome! Greetings from Poland :)

27. Pingback: Sewing An iPad Case – Success! | Did You Make That?

28. Only just found this – it’s very good of you to take the blame but I think it was my maths at fault. My only excuse was that it was quite busy and I did have other things on my mind!