Pyjama Party Sewalong

Homage to Tilly

Hey, guys! I thought it was about time to host my first ever sewalong – the Pyjama Party. This was inspired by two events:

• My favourite pair of pyjama bottoms finally disintegrating.
  • A conversation with Marie of A Sewing Odyssey about how much we love our favourite pair of pyjamas, to the general disgust/surprise/consternation of our loved ones.

I can’t wear these any more – sob.

Are you the same? Do you change into your jim jams as soon as you get home? How many pairs do you own? Flannel, silk or cotton? Drawstring or elasticated waist? These things are important, people, and this is your chance to create your very own bespoke nightwear. My own recent new make, pictured above, took only two hours’ of sewing and cost me £5.

THE PLAN

I’ll host a small series of tutorials for a pair of pyjama bottoms, based on the Simplicity 2721 pyjama pattern. Please note that I’ll be adjusting this pattern. Their instructions use a drawstring at the waist. Myself, I don’t want to fumble with a knot when I’m rushing to the loo in the morning. (Or is that just me?) I want a nice, easy elasticated waist! (Too much information?!) So I’ll be amending the instructions accordingly.

WHEN DOES THE PARTY GO LIVE?

I want this sewalong to be an amble, rather than a race to the finish line. People should have chance to order their pattern, mull over fabric choices and relax into the sewing. So only on Saturday 28 April, we’ll go live with final reveals of our makes.

Don’t worry, you don’t have to be photographed wearing your pyjamas if you don’t want to. (Though that would be lots of fun, wouldn’t it?) You can snap them neatly folded on a pillow, if you prefer.

THAT’S NOT ALL.

As well as hearing about your new jim jams, I also want to hear about or see your bedtime reading. What book is on your bedside table or loaded onto your ereader? Graphic novel, YA fiction, trashy mag, sewing book – bring it on. I work in publishing, I love hearing about these things! We can all get loads of new reading recommendations, as well as pyjama inspiration.

WHO CAN TAKE PART?

Anyone! That’s the beauty of this sewalong. It’s open to novice Sewists and expert Sewists alike. New to this game and want something not too taxing? Done! Old at this game, but frazzled and just want to remind yourself that you can sew? Done! This is your chance to let loose with crazy prints, or luxurious fabrics for creating your perfect sleeping attire.

You don’t even have to make these pyjamas for yourself – if you want to use this as an opportunity to sew for the kids, go ahead. (I’d love to hear what they’re reading, too.)

You don’t need to have a blog to take part – I would love to hear via email about your pyjamas. Or, you know, you don’t have to get in touch at all – just have fun sewing!

If you’re looking for inspiration, you might visit this blog post by Tilly and the Buttons, or this one from Stitch and Witter.

Photo courtesy of Tilly and the Buttons

If you don’t want to use the Simplicity pattern, you can use anything else you have. There’s a link here for creating your own pyjama pattern. Does anyone else have any patterns they’d recommend?

WHERE’S MY BUTTON? I WANT A BUTTON!

You can right click the button below:

Didyoumakethat

Just leave a comment to let me know if you’re interested in taking part. And if you’re still in doubt about joining the fun, remember that new pyjamas mean you have the chance to do this:

207 Responses to Pyjama Party Sewalong

1. Hi! I don’t have a blog at the mo (still working on it…), but i would love to join in! I love my flannel PJ’s in the winter and jersey cotton ones in the summer. I don’t do sexy nightwear (sorry boyfriend). I will go for the tracing a favourite pair method I reckon…. And I will TRY to raid my stash and not buy more fabric, honest!

emma x

• Lots of good points here. You totally don’t need to have a blog to join in, tracing is a really good idea and -yes!- this is the perfect stash busting project. So glad you’re joining in!

2. little betty says:

Might have to join you with this. My jarmies are embarassingly indecent!

3. ozviking says:

I am in desperate need of new pyjamas – your idea came just at the right time for me. So, Yes I’m in!

4. Kat says:

Oooh I LOVE my pyjamas. I think back fondly to my student days when it was acceptable to wear them all day. If only all clothes were as comfortable as pyjamas! Also, being tall it is difficult for me to find a pair which are long enough (don’t want those ankles getting chilly!). So for all those reasons and more…I’m in :)

5. Melanie says:

I’m a sewalong virgin, but it’d be hard to make a mess of this one and I have plenty of stash to bust. I’m in! :)

6. Jane says:

Oh yes, I’m in!!! I often change into my PJ’s at the same time as my kids (about 6.30) and would do it earlier if I could get away with it. I love them but I’d like to show the same care and attention to Pyjamas that I do to the rest of my clothes – they’re currently a complete mish mash. So I shall be making a couple of pairs to update my pyjama drawer – yes I actually have a pyjama drawer….! It’s a fabulous idea Karen, can’t wait!! x

• I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I so want to come and live in your well-organised and pretty house. Yes, the nice, roomy schedule also allows for multiple makes!

7. Debi says:

YAY! I’ll try to join in as I SO NEED a new pair of jammies!

8. KC says:

JammiesI I’m so in! I’ll use Butterick 6837 because I still haven’t put it away from last time I needed decent nightwear, and some nice red plaid cotton I bought about 15 yards of for duvet covers I decided not to make. I’m all about the glamour. A preview of my bedtime reading: Ulysses, Fit for Real People and a stack of half-finished crossword puzzles.

9. Angela says:

I’m in…. I am brand new to your blog, but need some PJ’s. Like Kat, I am tall, so getting pants long enough is an ongoing challenge.

10. Roobeedoo says:

Excuse me – but you are jumping on MY BED! Seriously! We have the same bed! LOL
    Funnily enough, I recently bought some fabric to make a top which absolutely screams “pyjamas”, so yes, I’m in! And I have a Japanese pattern to use, so this was definitely meant to be!
    Currently reading: The Awakening by Kate Chopin and Knit Now Issue 7 :)

11. justiceandthelaw says:

I’m going to try to join. I have McCall’s M5248 in my pattern stash (http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5248-products-4741.php?page_id=907). Need some for the ‘chilly’ Queensland winter. ;)

12. Oh, good timing. I so need some pyjama bottoms. A sew-along is just what I need to finally get me motivated to make some for me and not just for the kids.

13. Hi! I don’t have a blog yet but I’d love to join you. I love nothing more than jazzing about in my PJ’s (wearing some flannel plaid ones from Gap this morning)! I reckon I will go with tracing my favourite pair. I’m with you on the elastic, although my gap ones have both, drawstring just for effect i guess! What fabric though?!?!?
    Emma x

14. oops didn’t think my comment worked so did it twice…sorry!

15. Lotte says:

Yes, I’m in! I’m sewing a dress with flannelette because I am probably crazy, but it has got me looking at my pyjamas for winter and thinking about practical sewing projects. I think I might draft a pattern because my daughter had some fantastic bloomer overalls when she was littler and I always thought they’d make an excellent pair of pyjamas for a grown-up. Originally I’d thought they’d make an excellent daytime outfit for an adult but I was talked out of it. Fortunately no one was around when I started making my dress, as it is turning out to be something I like a lot!

• Wendy says:

Lotte, I’m so glad you got to make your flannel dress too. I just finished mine a few weeks ago and have worn it 5 times, I love it. It’s sort of a ‘grandfathers plaid shirt’ type of flannel and so cozy and the best part is I can wear it to work. I used a Vogue shirt dress pattern and it turned out so well. I hope you enjoy yours as much.
      Cheers!

16. Shivani says:

I am so very in! I’ve been meaning to sew myself some PJs for an age, since my absolute favourite pair literally fell apart (big sob). I even have the fabric and pattern ready, so can’t wait!

Bedtime reading – I’ve just started Peter Ackroyd’s London having just finished A Game of Thrones. x

17. happyhermit says:

Yes Please! can i play along, you can never have enough pairs of jim jam’s in my opinion!

18. Felicity from Down Under says:

I think I’ll be in this one too because my Boy is in need of some more PJs. I use – well, I can’t remember what pattern it is, but it’s easy to adjust and consists of just two pattern pieces, so I figure I can’t go wrong with it. [pause] So, OK, I went and dug it out. It’s New Look 6374, six sizes in one. It’s actually a women’s pattern for skirts and tops but includes a shorts pattern that I’ve been using to make his PJ trousers since he was about six. He’s now 17. I just make whatever adjustments are necessary to get the right length and/or fit and I adjusted the leg width for one pair (the fabric with aliens on it) so they’d have a trimmer profile. Otherwise, PJs are meant to be baggy, so it’s an ideal pattern.

I’ll be blogging about this one over at tingledfangers, so when I get that sorted out, I’ll be back to get a button. LOL

Thank you in advance for the motivation and fun.

19. Kat says:

If I can find the right fabric, something for warmth, maybe a soft rayonish type, I’m in! I never thought about making my own Pj’s, but I HATE my ankles being cold so I always go up a size or two. What a great sew along.
    We have just had a long weekend a long weekend and I’ve finished 5 books, so I’m looking for a new book to read, any suggestions?

20. Dibs says:

Count me in. I need this to feel alive at this point in time. lol. I’ve been literally living in my nighties and PJs these past months, and I need new ones coz the old ones have been worn to death.

21. Lucy says:

PERFECT timing! Yes, I am IN!

You think yours are bad? http://patchworkdreams.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/fortuitous-timing/

22. knetsop says:

You read my mind. I just traced a pair of my favourite falling apart jimjams and have made short versions of it in jersey but need long ones too. I’ll join in after my holidays. :)
    Also, for real comfort, take ribbing as the waistband like they do in maternity wear. You ll never go back to other elastic waists or strings. Oh so comfy and the keep your top in smug so no cold bellies or lower backs.

Currently on the nightstand: new England and new York travel guides. And all I want is to visit the garment district…

Love your blog :)

23. Wendy says:

Yes! Great timing Karen, in between other projects I am planning to upgrade my pj situation. So fabric is already picked out ( red and white floral voile underlined with plain red voile – for decency sake) and I’ll trace a pattern from my comfiest rtw pair. Don’t have a blog though.

24. annamajny says:

My first thought was: ‘I really want to join but I don’t have the time.’ Then I came to the part of:

“I want this sewalong to be an amble, rather than a race to the finish line. People should have chance to order their pattern, mull over fabric choices and relax into the sewing.”

Sounds like I have plenty of time. Better join! ;-)

Currently I’m wearing horrifying pink and white cotton flannel jammies that are way to low cut to be really comfy (Why, oh why do they make them like that?!) I’m so doing embarrassingly high-waisted ones!

Really looking forward to everybody’s bedside books, what a great idea!

25. Anne W says:

YES!! Definitely joining in!! Will make for me and the monsters.

26. Nettie says:

Yes! I’ll join in. I need some warm flannie jammies for a cold Canberra winter. Off to stash dive now.

27. ericapenton says:

Such perfect timing! I was just about to start on a pair, using New Look 6321. I’m in need of a quick and fun project to tide me over while I’ve got some items with many-required-steps on the go. And there’s always a New Yorker or two on my nightstand!

28. Funnygrrl says:

I am in! And the timing is perfect. Feel so bad about the decades old pjs I wear to bed. They’re just so comfy!
    I like to have a couple of books on the go. Right now it’s A Grownup Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson (for book club) and Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (sci-fi…oops, my nerd is showing!)

29. Hmm, in two minds. I don’t wear pyjamas but I do so want that lovely button on my blog! Last winter I bought my daughter some irresistible kimono-style wrapover* pyjamas from John Lewis which were also very expensive so I’m tempted to copy them into a size for next winter. I’ll look out for some cosy flannel and if I find it, I’m in!

*Great if you sleep on your tummy but don’t like the buttons pressing in!!

30. kristine says:

Oh, I am so happy to stumble here. :)..I’m totally in! (while working on the ooh,la.la..lol got a little down-time waiting on bits and bobs to come in) But, Pyjamas are next in line to what I’m going to sew…however, I’m in the South of the USA (S.of Atlanta Georgia)and it’s getting hot,hot hot!!..so is it ok to do shorties??.

31. Pingback: exotically « tingledfangers

32. LinB says:

Wow. Who knew that people in this world still wore pajamas? The mind boggles. In the last 30 years I’ve had a nightgown or two for the few times I’ve been hospitalized. A robe is usually all-sufficient at our house, in case we have guests.

• Ha, ha! The birthday suit – the most low-maintenance sleepwear available.

• LinB says:

Yep. Not, sadly, very photographic at my advanced age, lol! Dear Husband and I came of age in the mid 1970s — lots of folk forsook all kinds of clothing then. Nightclothes were for squares, man. (Sorry if this puts an uncomfortable image in your head — we are so nearsighted by now that we always look to each other as young and beautiful as when we first fell in love.)

33. Susan says:

Yes I’m in, I’ve been thinking I need at least one more pair. I use Simplicity 3796, and pin the leg and yoke pieces together. Now to scour my favourite fabric sites for some lovely cotton. I don’t have a blog, not being inclined to write or indeed take wonderful photos, but I’ll put them on my Flikr page.
    P.S I was thinking of turning my Pendrell pattern into a nightie, would that count?

34. Catherine says:

You are a mind reader!
    I was just thinking that my boys new summer PJ’s and I need a new set too!

35. Marie says:

I’m so in! I already told you that my b/f hates my current flannel pj bottoms so much, that I’m not allowed to put them on before 9pm! If I had my own way, I’d slip them on as soon as I got home from work….aaah! So my plan is to make some nice satin-type ones that feel and look better for the boy (and more importantly for me ;o))! Oh, and I’m totally with you on the elasticated waitband, so hassle-free!

36. prttynpnk says:

Oh, fate! The husband was just making disparaging jammie comments this weekend. Surely even Joan Holloway loves some flannel?! I must join!

37. Alessa says:

Sounds like fun! I’ve been meaning to sew sleep or lounge wear for ages! I usually wear shorts (cotton boxershorts or jersey shorts) and a t-shirt or tank top to bed. I don’t like the long trousers sliding up my legs at night, although I put up with it in winter, when it’s too cold for shorts…

38. Kerry says:

I’m in! I have some stash fabric in mind for this. Also, thanks for your sewalong leading to me browsing sleepwear sewing patterns online. I thought vintage pattern pictures were bad but my goodness, contemporary pyjama ones are mostly terrible. And did you know that you can buy PJ patterns that include patterns for dog coats and remote control holders?! True!

39. Nicky P says:

Ooh yippee – a sew along that even my limited sewing skills and time can cope with! I change into my PJs as soon as I get home. I’ve convinced hubby that they are ‘lounge wear’ rather than ‘bed wear’ so now he joins in too! Will be trying to copy my fave RTW ones, wish me luck…

40. Steph A says:

Oh I’m in too! Sewalongs are way more fun than sewing alone. Even though I’d usually only wear them in the winter (to bed that is) I lounge in cotton jersey yoga pants in the evenings, or all day on the weekends when I stay home! It would be great to have some summery prints for PJ bottoms!

41. Leah says:

I am so in. I’ve made two pairs of pajama pants, one was two small, the other too big. Sigh. I’ve made others for other people but I want to be selfish and perfect my own fit. I’m going to make a top too, I love the idea of matching pajamas!

Before bed I usually read a mystery, I’m reading Lindsey Davis’ Falco mysteries right now. Love her.

42. Joanne says:

Blimey thank you for the unexpected shout-out! Now could this be the perfect chance to tackle my velour onesie? Will have to consider this very carefully! Great idea though Karen :) Am currently re-reading Wide Sargasso Sea after having seen Jane Eyre movie with Michael Fassbender which was ace. The first Mrs Rochester was soooo much more interesting… :)

43. grenouille78 says:

Ooh! Ooh! I need to do this! I have a similar pj pattern (McCall’s, I think?) that I used to make myself a pair of flannel pajama pants a couple of years ago. But, being the sole pair of pajama pants I own, things get tricky when they’re in the wash. Time for a back-up pair!

44. redsilvia says:

I’m in with my flannel pjs! I’ll use my standard self drafted pattern made from an old long gone pair from Old Navy. Any cocktails involved?

45. Thanks for hosting the sewalong. I’d love to join in if I can, it sounds like fun. Now to go and choose some fabric – yay!
    I hope I can get my digital camera working again by the 28th, if not it might take a little longer for the photos to be up as I’ll have to do it the old fashioned way and have the film developed etc.
    Looking forward to it, thanks again for doing this :-)

46. I’m in, I’d really like some white linen pyjamas. I’ve got a pattern from a copy of ZigZag the old Husqvarna sewing magazine which I’d like to use.

47. I’m in, I want to make some linen pyjamas from a pattern that was in ZigZag the old Husqvarna sewing magazine years ago.

48. Fiona says:

Hi! I don’t have a blog but I do read yours every day, and you are a constant source of inspiration. I love my PJ’s so I would love to sew along with you.

49. I’m so in.. I live in pjs. If I’m not going out I wake up, shower and change pjs…I even wear it out to grab the posts… Manage to get away unseen but would love new pj I can actually been proud to be catch on…

50. Yip yip yippee! I have some mad pink flowery flannel begging to be transformed into sleepwear for me. I LOVE living in PJs & find that they symbolise me-not-work time & time to get totally comfy. But can’t remember how it translates into summer time (seems such a long time ago now!) I can’t remember what the pattern is that I use…it must be very old by now so perhaps this is a good opportunity to update it. And i can’t resist sharing current reading: “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall….need some inspiration!

51. Jacqueline says:

I NEVER wear pyjamas. I can’t stand all the excess fabric around my legs. I much prefer a short nightdress. My preferred reading material is murder mysteries – currently reading Patricia Cornwell, who I sort of went off a while ago. I couldn’t believe that so many bad things could happen to one person. I like the Kinsey Millhone mysteries, I have now read all the books the author (who’s name I can’t remember) has written. I also quite like Agatha Christie, it’s never who I think it is!

52. Bold Sewist says:

I’m in! I’ve had plans to make myself some new bottoms for a while – pattern ready (not Simplicity but a McCalls one I think) and fabric too! I’m still wearing 2 pairs of Christmas ones I made 2 years ago so I’m very overdue a seasonal update.

53. Gaylene says:

Noooooo…you have single handedly taken over my Easter Monday evening! First I thought, yes, some nice brushed cotton for cosiness, and started looking at fabrics on line (hot chocolate with cream and a dash of brandy), then started thinking about all the Titanic bits around at the moment, and thought about white lawn, with lace insets, and an Edwardian style short chemise (Earl Grey in a vintage cup and saucer), and then, I thought about peach satin, with some kind of amazing quilted bed jacket – glamour, not granny, (fabulous martini with olives)…….meanwhile my husband would just like to see an end to the threadbare grey t-shirts. Reading material is Phil Rickman, Jasper Fforde, and PG Wodehouse…..can’t wait to join in !!

54. Bold Sewist says:

Oh I’ve just been reading through the other comments – I’m so excited I may make a whole FAMILY of pj bottoms!

55. Jacq says:

Oh I’m in! This is very timely, saw my son at uni last week and he asked for new pjs – I’m having problems finding brushed cotton/flannel in a pattern that’s suitable though, he doesn’t want traditional stripes or plaid. If anybody has any idea of where I could get something a bit more unusual I’d be really grateful. I’ll probably use an existing pair of his favourites to make the pattern – well,I’ll try! And I need some shorts pjs for holiday, am going to try and adapt another pattern I’ve got and use up some stash. Is that OK? This is a great idea :)

• LinB says:

I recently found a marvelous snakeskin print in the quilting cottons section of Hancock fabrics; and used it for a man’s medical scrubs suit. They had some nice tribal prints too. “Clothing” cottons are far tamer as to prints, but it is the same cotton, plain weave fabric. I don’t know why something like that wouldn’t work perfectly well for something to sleep in.

• Jacq says:

Thank you for the tip, I’ll have a look at the quilting cottons, I can only seem to find flannelette in plain or stripes so this might be the solution :)

56. Trisha says:

I have been thinking about making some new PJ shorts (it’s hot in AZ) for a while now. This is the nudge I need! I’m in! (And I can’t wait to see all of the book recommendations!)

57. Sarah says:

I’m in! I have a cute Simplicity pattern waiting to be used. :) I love an elastic waist, too.

58. This is perfect! I don’t even know the last time I got new PJs. I always feel like I should put the money toward something people which actually see me wear – like work clothes – but gosh darn it everyone should have some nice looking PJs, right? I’m more of a nightie kind of girl though (yoga pants are the only kind of pants I wear with any frequency). Night gowns are ok?!

• susew says:

I would love to join, but it’s going to be a belated sew along. I have four projects on the go- two more than half done, and two nearly done. My favourite PJ pattern is an OOP Vogue pattern: shawl collar bathrobe, one pattern piece shorts or pants and a loose fitting top. I have made 3 versions of the pjs and have the second version of the robe in cotton pique. My favorite PJ version was from dark blue cotton/linen blend. I loved wearing them and they were incredibly soft. I finally had to give them up when they had too many holes.
      The next version will be from red cotton voile with huge five inch polka dots in graduations of red. I’ve had the fabric for years as I couldn’t imagine wearing those huge polka dots in public.

59. kristine says:

Hi, I Just thought I’d share the pattern I just purchased for the sew-along. It’s circa,1967 McCall’s 8844. I’ll be making 2 sets in both view B and C.. :)..I love seeing which designs others plan to make, don’t you? :)

60. Michelle says:

I have a TNT pajama pattern that I am going to use for this! It’s extremely wide legged and not at all flattering! But, I like to use quilting cotton for it because I think a lot of quilting cottons are cute, but not so great for clothes.

61. Renee says:

Oh yes, I think I’ll join in! I’ve been so intimidated by sewing instructions since I got my machine, so a sewalong sounds perfect. I’ll scout materials and pattern this week. Hopefully I’ll find one with an elastic waist, I hate drawstrings too!

62. Thanks for hosting this great sewalong. I am working myself out of the worst sewing funk (maybe the only one) I could have ever imagined. I think this is just what I need.

63. Amanda says:

I’m in! I haven’t sewn in months and I just need a simple project to get back into it, and a fun sew-along host to lead the way :) I’ll be using my trusty Kwik Sew 3602, the first pattern I ever made something from, and I think I’ll go with this great plaid fabric (tartan, I should say!) I bought over 2 years ago in Los Angeles. I better make it soon before it’s the last thing I want to see during the hot and humid New York summer.

• Amanda says:

(Oops, my comment linked to an outdated blog url – this one should be correct. In case you’re keeping track of participants that way!)

64. Pat says:

Count me in. I live in my pj’s. I’ll be doing cotton since summer is coming. I’m using Simplicity 2423 View B. It’s the first pattern I ever sewed with.

65. Amy says:

I’m in. I think I’ll try silk. I don’t currently own any silk pajamas, but I used a silk sleep sack this summer on my trip through the Alps, and it was quite warm and cozy. I even found a crazy giant piece of silk at a nearby fabric warehouse this weekend that was basically free. When I got it home, I realized why. It has the word “SAMPLE” written on it in many places, basically making it unusable for much other than nightwear. Now to pick a pattern from the stash. And to decide what to do at the waist. The maternity ribbing a commenter mentioned above sounds quite fascinating. Can’t wait!

66. Shell says:

I want to join in! I love your blog. And I love my PJ’s. Seriously love my PJ’s.

67. Sherry says:

Count me in – I need new pyjamas! Last winter I resorted to my not-very-sexy merino ski leggings, all the while thinking that underneath the bed I was lying on were several rolls of silk satin that would make perfect jammies!

68. mujerboricua says:

Pajama party!!! *hits Karen with pillow* I’m so in. I was meant to make Greg and myself matching jammies for Christmas. Christmas came and went and no jammies. This will provide a great excuse to make some sweet summer ones.

69. katlane12 says:

I’m in! Pyjamas are probably the only thing I will sewing for myself until the baby comes along. Hopefully I can use this to use up some stash fabric too.

70. Helen says:

My PJs are in such a state now that I actually slob aroud in an old pair of jogging bottoms – which just isn’t the same. So I’m definitely in on this one!

71. Alice says:

I’m in! This will be the first sew-along I’ve joined and I am so excited! In fact I’m off to buy my pattern (assuming my local shop stocks it) and some fabric now! Pajamas rule!

72. I’m definitely in – I absolutely love my PJs and wear them all day when I’m not out and about. This is my first sewalong and I’m sure it’ll be lots of fun! Can’t wait! It’s also my first opportunity to put a button on my blog – Yey! But how do I do it? I’m still new to all this blogging lark :)

73. Count me in. That’s enough lead in time for me to work around it and I really could use more pj’s for around the house. I think the vast majority of my pj’s are more than 10 years old, I could use some new ones.

74. symondezyn says:

the second i get in the door after work the clothes come off and the jim jams go on LOL. I have yoga pants and tshirts at the ready, but my faves are a pair of fuzzy minky jammie bottoms with gingerbread men on them and a pink ribbon at the waist… they are elasticized though so the ribbon doesn’t need to be fumbled with LOL

I’d love to participate in this sewalong but alas, I’m really behind on Sew Colette, and thus must focus my attentions elsewhere… love this idea though! Maybe a future date?

75. zoe says:

Yes, I’m in. Just the thing after a fruitless trawl of M&S in search of new pyjamas. I can’t be the only woman who favours a proper pyjama suit.

76. Reethi says:

I’m in! I’ve been wearing torn t-shirts to sleep, which is embarrassing considering that I have a massive stash + can sew – what great incentive to fix it!

77. gingermakes says:

I’m in! Pajama pants are my home uniform– I get home from work, walk the dog, and then it’s straight into PJ’s for the rest of the night! Can’t wait to stitch some up! I’ve been meaning to for a while, but haven’t had the chance…

78. Charlotte says:

Hi there! My friend Nicky and I have regular sewing days together, where we drool over each others fabric stash, compare pattern adjustment tips, and generally gossip. And guess what? Today’s topic of conversation was your fab blog, and after we messed around for most of the morning, we both made some PJs! So, we’re in! :-)

79. sophie says:

I’m definitely in! I’ve only got two pairs of pyjama pants and one of them is starting to die.. It really needs replacement and I’ve already purchased cotton print fabric!!

80. ooobop! says:

Good timing and great inspiration, Karen. I’m going to make a birthday pair of pj strides for Mr Ooobop! His birthday isn’t ’til May 20th so it will make a change for me to not have such a last minute panic. I might have to Email you a secret post though! Ive ordered a couple of Simplicity patterns from Jaycotts and will decide which one to use when they arrive. Incidentally, over at Jaycotts Simplicity and McCalls patterns are 50% off!

81. I’d love to join in! I think that I’m going to attempt to make Jubilee Jammies. Might not wear them out to any street parties though :-)

82. Pingback: Pyjama Party Sewalong « pennylibrarian

83. kirsty says:

oooo tres excitmon ! i am IN !! I have just bought a PJ pattern too – not the same as yours but I am sure the process will be the same. Like many others, as soon as I get in from work, the PJ’s are on ! I have some silk in my stash which I am gonna bust out for a snazzy pair, and I think I may make a second pair in cotton (more practical me thinks). Thanks for the generosity ! BTW I have a whole host of reading matter by the bedside, including Fit for real People, Burda Style mags, whatever Dan Brown style (historical crime thriller type thing) book I have on the go at the time and a crime thriller. I do love a good read !! Cant wait to see everyones new PJ’s ! xx

84. Bagwagon says:

Okay where can I get the pattern from?

85. Vicki Kate says:

I’m in too! I’ve just been camping and realise that tracks bs are not comfy for sleeping, but that 3/4 length doesn’t get wet from the dew or overnight rain! I’m gonna be lazy though and buy my pattern as I don’t have any I can trace, and I am 100% with you on the whole elastic thing…

86. Pingback: Spring tops and perfect PJ prints! « Crafty by Night

87. nothy lane says:

I’m in. I have that pattern so I just have to get some fun fabric

88. What a great idea….count me in. I’m sure that I have seen a pj pattern that I like within one of my sewing books, now I just need to go and find the fabric (sounds like an excuse to go fabric shopping to me!)

89. Linda says:

Definitely in! This comes at a perfect time for me — new to sewing, fave pj’s have indecent holes, and I bought a few metres of some sort of knit/jersey at a thrift shop a while ago for this very purpose! Will even try to use my old ones as a pattern — hopefully not too ambitious.

90. Karen this is the best idea-Count me in!

This came at the perfect time, we’re coming into winter here in Australia and I really want a long pair of flannel pyjama bottoms to lounge around in.

I’m a newbie at sewing and this is my first sewalong. I already know what fabric and pattern I’m going to use.

91. Pingback: getting with it « tingledfangers

92. charlottepb says:

Great fun, count me in. I have always wanted to make my own pjs this will certainly get me going. x x x

93. Frances says:

I’m in! Just last night the bf was complaining about my ratty-orange-high-wasited-10-year-old pjs. And I’m definitely making more high waisted ones. The luxury of a warm back is worth it.
    I’ve just finished Great Expectations. Loved it. Now I need to get back to the library for some new books.

94. I’m in! I’ll be using a couple of Ottobre patterns – I’m not at home at the mo but I can let you know which ones when I get there ;) See you around and thanks for organising this!

95. Kirsty S says:

Oh, perfect timing, I bought some fabric with rabbits on and some coordinating flannelette just the day before this post. I’m in! Need to choose/buy a pattern though.

96. Rachel says:

I’m definitely in! I just bought fabric for new pjs just the other day and was already planning on a little tutorial of how to add pockets to PJ bottoms (because personally, I think PJ bottoms just MUST have pockets!

97. For myself, I am actually more of a nightgown kind of gal (and am making one based on the Colette Taffy pattern right now). But for the children, I love to make PJ bottoms. And by happy coincidence, I have just bought some fabric to make them spring jammies. So I’m in too. Thanks for organising this.

98. Pingback: Stitching Spotlights 4.13.2012

99. Tessa says:

Thank you for doing this! Great timing for me – I have just started blogging and am keen to begin making clothes, so I think this will be a good start! I’ve bought my pattern, now need to find some fabric!

100. Retha says:

This is perfect. I’ve been thinking about my pj drawer and how I need to beef it up. I’m in!

101. Pingback: Jammies and Plans « Pretty Grievances

102. Pingback: Wide World of Sewing | Falling Through Your Clothes

103. eumoronorio says:

I’m joining this SAL! Love the idea! sewingforme.wordpress.com

104. Sue says:

What a great idea! I’m in. I have The Butterick 5432 pattern that I bought to teach my youngest daughter (24 years old) to sew. Since it’s going to be warm here soon, I’ll either do the shorts or the mid-length pants. Now to find some nice, fun material!

105. Annette says:

Fantastic! I was thinking about making some pjs the other day! It will be nice to do it as part of a sewalong. It’s starting to get cold on this side of the world, so a nice warm pair of flannelette pj pants is just what the doctor ordered.
    Simplicity actually have a free pj bottom pattern on their website: http://www.simplicity.com/t-sewing-101-part4.aspx which your readers might be interested in.

106. Jacqueline says:

I’m definitely in…. after a long sewing hiatus, I could do with something easy and fuss free to ease me back into the swing of things, I may even start a blog to join in the fun.
    I still haven’t got over the novelty of reading long forgotten classics on the Kindle, so my current bed time read is ‘The Great Gatsby’, a book I last read at about the age of 12. I suspect it’s the type of book that is best enjoyed whilst wearing a ‘negligee’, rather than pyjama’s, but what the hell. I’d much rather wear pyjamas.

107. Andrea says:

Hi Karen, just found your blog by way of A Fashionable Stitch. I am in fit the Pajama Party! I can’t quite figure out how to follow your blog. I do that blogger thing. Hmmm, I’ll have o work on that. I love your blog. :-)

108. Kristin says:

I need to join you for this! My favorite pants just had all the elastic die and now they barely hang off my waist. I knew I wanted to make a replacement myself, but rather than getting on it, I’ve just been continuing to wear my old, busted pants. They’re so comfortable! Anyway, this is perfect for getting my butt in gear!

109. Liz says:

I am in too!!!! Been following a number of sewing blogs (including your wonderful one!!!) for a few months now and time to join a sewalong! Yay! Love the concpet of this one! Going into winter in Sydney – so flannette PJ pants for me. It is encouraging to read that so many people get into their PJs as soon as they get home!

110. Faye Lewis says:

Hi! I know I’m late signing up. But I’d really like to join up. I need PJ’s and this would be an interesting opportunity to get some done. If it’s not too late to sign up, what do I do next????

111. J.P.A.U.T. says:

Great idea ; I’m in, live from Paris, France !

112. Sarah - says:

Hi, would love to join your pyjama party, of to hunt through my Burda mag stash, sure there must be a pyjama pattern in there some where. Ps no blog don’t think the world is ready for the first dyslexic blogger yet!!!!

113. Sew Ace says:

I want to play! And look forward to posting the results on my fledgling blog. I work in publishing too so love the bedside reading element…

114. somersetmum says:

Hello, this could be my first sewing from a pattern for… 15 years. A bit scary. Have ordered a pattern online – Simplicity 2116 as being used by KraftyKat. Now I just need to get some fabric that my long legged teenage daughter will actually wear. Am looking forward to seeing everyones makes.

115. Lenora Jane says:

Totally in! I need pajamaaaas and this is the perfect excuse to actually pick up some of that Betty Boop flannel that has been languishing in the cut-rate pile at my fabric store for the past, like, three weeks…

116. Debbie says:

Just found out about this sew along through the A Fashionable Stitch blog. Need some new PJs, so perfect timing!

Off to locate a pattern in my stash, or I think someone mentioned a free one. If all else fails I will buy a pattern!

I like the idea of sharing what we are reading. I held out for a while, but now that have an e-reader I am hooked.

117. traci says:

I have a button on my page, Facric and a pattern too count me in!

118. Coco says:

Fun! I’m in!

119. erin says:

me too! I would like to join and finally sew myself some pyjama bottoms.

120. Pingback: Attending: MMM and P.J. Party! | Experiments and Accidents

121. Pingback: Summer Jam! « Two Frogs and a Grasshopper

122. Kalina says:

yay! sounds like so much fun!!! and yes, one pair of PJ is not too much, I think I earned it! for the cold winter nights :)

123. lisa g says:

this is a fantastic idea! i’m an early pj wearer (usually in them by 6:30p on a good day!) and i am in desperate need of some! count me in!

124. Pingback: Pyjama party, yuhuu! «

125. Rachelle says:

Count me in. I have the most fabulous Betty Boop fabric that would be perfect for these. Like you, I can’t be bothered with a drawstring. I’ll be using elastic.

126. Jamie says:

I’m in!! I live in my pj’s when I’m not at work, I could always use another pair besides, I love sew a longs!

127. nettie says:

I’m in, too!!! I will be making kiddie PJs. Four pair in BRIGHT yellow Dr. Seuss fabric. They have pretty much outgrown/destroyed the first pairs I made them, so this is right on time!

128. I’m a bit late joining the party, but I’m in too! At 6 months pregnant none of my existing jammies fit me any more, so this is perfect, and nice and easy hopefully :-)

129. VeraVenus says:

I’m in… just the push I need to make some pj’s I won’t be embarrassed to answer the door in on a day-home-slumming-in-pjs day!

130. Pingback: Feeling Guilty | Mercury – Handmade Fashion

131. You jumping on the bed was all I needed to jump in to the Pyjama Party. got 2 sets in mind.

132. Pingback: I’d like to thank… « pennylibrarian

133. Pingback: Pyjama Party! | Peggy's Pickles

134. Pingback: burgeoning beanies « tingledfangers

135. I think I’ll join, too – I have some cotton flannel that’s been waiting to be made into PJs, and now that I’ve finished my LBD, which in its simplicity was the most detailled and “perfected” thing I’ve sewn to date, a pair of PJs seems like just the thing. :-)

136. Thankyou for hosting this sew along. Count me in. .I have been intending to make some pj’s..This is just the incentive I needed.. I have the pattern already, and now, I will go through my stash and pickout the fabric.
    This will be super fun.. Happy sewing.

137. Andrea says:

Am I late? It took me awhile to decide but OK I’m gonna join. See you at the party ! ! ! !

138. i’m in! i got some really great flannel and need a new pair of jammies!!

139. Pingback: ME-Made-May 2012 | Mercury – Handmade Fashion

140. seeks says:

I’d like to participate :) Right now I’m reading the last book in the Game of Thrones series (Song of Fire and Ice series) and a book on childbirth. :)

141. Carolyn says:

I would love to take part too, if it is not too late :) Actually I have to confess I just finished my winter pj’s, my old pair grew a hole :( but I will still post that cute button and “join in”

142. Pingback: Always a day late… but not today! | zilredloh.com

143. Far says:

it’s April 20th, so this is very late…. i’ve never sewn a pair of bottoms for me yet (no pants, no skirts just tiny pj pants for my now 20 mth old boy) so sewing a pyjama bottom mommy-size should be a good start for me no? i know i have a pattern for it somewhere and a lot of fabric stash to bust, so i will go shopping in my own sewing closet for this project… hmmmm count me in! :)

144. Elle C says:

I’m late, but sign me up. I just found some cotton seersucker. Tracing out the pattern in a few minutes and cutting out the fabric tonight (Friday).

145. Sarah C says:

Count me in! New pj’s are have been on my to sew list for the last 6 months! Time to buckle down and get to work!

146. Wendy says:

I can always use another pair of pjs. Spring is coming and I could use a fresh pair… perhaps something a little flowy and wider leg that the suggested pattern but definitely an elastic waist for easy in, easy out.

147. Pingback: There’s a Party on my Sewing Table « Sew Well

148. staciethinks says:

I want in too! What a fun idea…

149. Pingback: Preparing pyjama party sewalong | Un Peu de Couture

150. Pingback: Hello Old Friend! Mojo: How to lose it and get it back again | Lazy Stitching

151. Sew Sister says:

I’m keen sounds fun I have five days to get it together….what a good idea!

152. Amy says:

My pajamas are done and ready for the reveal! This was SUCH a good idea. I never would have made pajamas, and I’m thrilled how they turned out. Thanks for hosting this!

153. Pingback: Pajama party time! | Modern Vintage Cupcakes

154. Pingback: Pyjama Party – I have finally brought my fabric | sewmuchchoice

155. Sigrid says:

Sounds fun, thanks for the open invitation! I’m finishing up mine today!

156. velosewer says:

I’ve just finished by pjs and they’re ready to wear.

157. fiddleydee says:

I just found out about the party! But I’d love to make some. Will probably do something drafted off another pair and use something from the stash.

158. You have me thinking of my pyjama drawer, and shaking my head in utter disgust! I have just made a nightie and am about to tackle my pj bottoms now, I’m using simplicity 9505. Hopefully I will make the deadline and have them ready for the reveal tomorrow x

159. Pingback: KCWC :: Projects Three & Four | Sown Brooklyn

160. ohsewsimple says:

I make loads of pyjamas- usually just the bottoms as t shirts are fine for tops. They are so quick to make . I use the same pattern for turning out childrens fancy dress outfits for the grandchildren . (3 ninja outfits, 1 mutant turtle, ,2 captain Rex-Starwars) ,Simplicity 2502 for children and 2500 for adults.. I like to do french seams so there are no raggedy seams .
    The pyjamas include 1 dolphins, 2 pirates skull and crossbones, 1 plain green just to use the material up,2 black and white dazzle and 2 numbers all for the grandchildren plus 1 pr for husband and 1 pair for daughter. (10prs PJs and 6 fancy dress PJs ) oh and 2 nighties for me.
    I have also used a short version of the pattern to make shorts (3 pairs).
    Most of them can be seen on my blog. Is it finished ?

161. Pingback: Bed-Jumping Health and Safety « The Perfect Nose

162. Pingback: Pyjama Party! | Another Little Crafty Creation

163. Pingback: Pyjama party – the finals «

164. Pingback: Adding pockets to pajama pants « Sew Vac Outlet (Humble Sewing Center) Blog

165. Pingback: PJs as gift? « The Material Lady

166. Pingback: Me-Made-May ’12 « pennylibrarian

167. Pingback: The “Powder Room” Slippers | Modern Vintage Cupcakes

168. Pingback: Happy birthday Mr Ooobop! | ooobop!

169. Pingback: bringing a new look to the ancient: Pattern Pyramid Giveaway « tingledfangers

170. Pingback: Pyjama Party – The Classes | Did You Make That?

171. Pingback: Matching PJ Inspiration | Did You Make That?

172. Pingback: PJ Bottoms Galore! — Laura Sinclair

173. Pingback: PJ Bottoms Galore! — Laura Sews

174. Pingback: PJs, Dolls, Pattern Pyramids – Just Another Day | Did You Make That?

175. Pingback: Pyjama Party – Tofino Style! | Did You Make That?

176. Pingback: Pyjama Party: No Pattern Needed | Purls and Pleats