Burda Top, Hastings Memories

It’s ages since I’ve made anything by Burda but I saw this pattern made by Ooobop and I fell in love. You can see her version here. I just love the delicate pleats descending from the collar.

The pattern is really simple and satisfies my criteria for the perfect pattern – three pieces only. Experience has taught me that if someone can make something decent from three pattern pieces only, the drafting is pretty good. (Eek! Just checked: it’s four pieces. Oh well, it’s still a great pattern.)

Here’s a detail of the collar:

I used the red buttons bought in Hastings:

The elephant print cotton is bought from Ditto and is my little homage to two favourite Sewists, Roobeedoo and Scruffy Badger, who have both used this fabric.

Scruffy Badger even made my pink running bows from some of this fabric.

So, lots of Hastings memories for me sewn into this sleeveless blouse. If, you know, I ever feel like remembering the pain of a half marathon!

The great thing about this blouse is its versatility. It can also be worn out and belted, a treatment I particularly like.

I think this will be perfect for the summer and it’s a great canvas for prints. It’s only $5.40 to download. Go ahead!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Burda Top, Hastings Memories

1. Marie says:

This is just gorgeous Karen and I love the 50s feel of it! Funnily enough I have this pattern all cut out and ready to sew up in a peach eyelet cotton. My inspiration? Ooobop’s version from last year of course!

2. Kitschy Coo says:

I really, really love that top on you. The fabric and fit is fantastic!

3. beebeesvintagedress says:

It Is fab! I think its going on my sewing list right now! Looks so flattering! x

4. LOVE this and the use of ellie fabric and red buttons. And may I also say, nice accessorizing! Looks almost vintage in its style

5. Lovely! It’s strange, I was thinking about that pattern last night. It’s such a classic style.

6. Lovely top! I’ve got that fabric on my wishlist, I keep going to the Ditto website and doing the basket dance with it….

7. rehanon says:

Ah Karen what a gorgeous top. You look so elegant :) Plus those shoes are so cheeky I love them. Keep spying them on your blog and getting serious shoe envy. There is just something about red shoes with a bow that light up my world!

8. and all the lines of elephants align. Cute. I love it, particularly the contrasts provided by the red buttons and accessories.

9. Loving the elephants! This pattern has been on my to-make list for a while now. I think it’s great for spring.

10. gail says:

This blouse has been on my to-do list for quite a while. I absolutely love your version of it! Probably my favorite I’ve seen!

11. Roobeedoo says:

Oh that really works! I don’t think I have ever seen that pattern before. I clearly need to check it out – it is so flattering on you, with those pleats (I think) shaping the neck. And all that shaping keeps the elephants under control ;)

12. Bold Sewist says:

Lovely blouse! I love the sophistication of the shape v the fun of the elephants. And your waist is teeny!

13. Elephants! I love it!

14. Clare says:

Love that top and your version is fantastic – elegant but also playful. Will add this to my ever-growing list of things I have to make!

15. gingermakes says:

This is so cute! I fell in love with this after Ms. Stitch made it last year, but I’ve had such bad luck with Burda patterns that I haven’t bothered to download it. Yours is so nice that I am tempted to give it a go!

16. oonaballoona says:

loooove it! i’m holding myself back from downloading it… i have a vintage advance pattern with the same collar effect and really i should just play with the toys i have…. but i want it…

the whole outfit is delicious.

17. Elizabeth says:

I love your fabric. Cute top! Those pleats at the shoulder are gorgeous.

18. Pamela says:

I have made it too in a blue and white stripy cotton and was happy happy happy with the result. Haven’t worn it yet though because it feels like November out there at the moment. I love the red buttons of your version! I think it’s a good pattern for beginners too (I am one!) because it’s easy but a bit different from the usual beginners stuff. Ciao

19. I love this in the elephant fabric! So perfect! I made this pattern last fall and really love it. Next time, I’m going down two sizes though because the ease was crazy!

20. Alice says:

What a lovely blouse. I NEED to get me some of that fabric, I have a very slight (okay totally over the top) obsession with Elephants. I love the blue and red together, and the shape, and…well all of it really! x

21. cjgal says:

Love quirky animal prints, adorable!

22. Pingback: Elephant Dress no#3 & 4 & 5? | Rocket Sews

23. ooobop! says:

What a lovely post to wake up to! Soooo chuffed that I inspired you in any way as you are MY inspiration!!! It looks gorgeous on you Karen – those elephants are the cutest!

24. nothy lane says:

Your fabric choices and patterns are so flattering on you. I love the elephants. You should do a post on how to fit patterns to flatter. I just made a coat that is fitted but looks awful on me. SO frustrating.

25. shari says:

Love your top! I’m putting this pattern on my to sew list

26. Alessa says:

Great blouse! I really didn’t think the elephants were this wearable, but you three ladies have totally convinced me. I also love the contrast buttons! :)

27. Amy says:

Oh Karen, you bad pattern temptress you. I buy far too many patterns from reading this blog…. and now I really really want this one too! Those pleats are so cute… as are the elephants!

28. shivani says:

Karen – this is fabulous. You’ve taken whimsy and made it chic! love it. And the fit is so flattering!

I had overlooked this pattern – but now I must have one of my own (though perhaps without elephants – there’s only room for 1 elephant top in my wardrobe!).

29. CherryPix says:

Hi – love your version of this blouse – the pleats really make it…a do the elephants. I made a white cotton version – my softer fabric resulted in an interesting (?) wavy collar! see http://www.flickr.com/photos/31076676@N08/6470008905/in/set-72157625266535241

30. Pingback: Stitching Spotlights 4.20.2012

31. Michelle says:

Ooh I love that! And it has elephants!

An elegant elephant blouse. Bet you’ve always wanted to put “elegant” and “elephant” in the same sentence.

32. Pingback: Seam Allowance Guide Review | Did You Make That?

33. Pingback: Burda Challenge – April and May plans | ReadyThreadSew

34. Vicki Kate says:

I love both your versions! When you get a moment, could you photograph the back for me? The collar attachment instructions are eluding me at the moment and my Burda Babel Fish isnt working either! Hope you had a good flight and the jet lag is nonexistent or at least bearable…