Burda Top, Seventies Style

The thing is… I mean, what it was… If I can explain. Yes. Just that. Quite.

Oh dear. Karen’s OCD kicks in again. Another Burda top, this time with a Seventies colour scheme. I think this is probably a marmite print – you either like it or loathe it. It clearly called to me. My one reservation is that the cotton is a bit too stiff. (Bought for £2 a metre off Walthamstow market.)

As you can see, this blouse works great just loose over jeans. Two things I should mention about this make that I omitted last time:

• The instructions don’t ask you to under stitch the facings, but I’d really recommend doing that.
  • I abandon the Burda instructions when it comes to attaching bias binding to the armholes. I just go my own way, which is the Sorbetto way.

This fabric was still folded up waiting to be used when I got home from work last night. That’s how quick this make is.

I wonder if this blouse is one answer to Handmade Jane’s recent question over how best to wear yellow. What do you think?

30 Responses to Burda Top, Seventies Style

1. Judy says:

A very pretty blouse and I love the fabric. The colours really suit you.

2. Tamsin W-P says:

wow, what a quick make, and lovely too. How do youu get so much made with your job and all? you clearly don’t spend as much time reading other peoples blogs as I do!

3. Anne W says:

I think that’s a really cool top! Colours really suit you, and look fabulous with dark jeans. Well done on the quick make!

4. Nothy Lane says:

I love Burda patterns but I sometimes ignore parts of the instructions as well. I lov ethe fabric and the top looks great on you. I like the buttons too!

5. Kerry says:

You’ve been busy! It’s great to find a pattern that really inspires you to create multiple garments isn’t it?

6. shivani says:

v pretty! and those colours really suit you! I’m amazed at how quickly you make things!

7. Jane says:

It’s LOVELY Karen and yes, I think it’s definitely an answer to the yellow question! x

8. Roobeedoo says:

Ooh lovely! Orange, yellow, 70′s – all my favourite things in one blouse!

9. Great blouse(s) Karen (loved the earlier version too).
    I bet you make a 3rd (or 4th) before Summer arrives hehe!
    (That Burda pattern is in my to do pile too. I just gotta do an FBA, add it to a dart, rotate and incorporate it into the release dart that goes from the SNP to the bust :) FTW).

10. mujerboricua says:

This blouse pattern is a keeper and a winner. I love both versions you’ve made with it. The tapering at the waist is quite flattering. And I’m loving the 70s vibe. too.

11. Scarlette O'Tara says:

Lovely! I think you have convinced me that I need this pattern in my collection. I seem to have a poverty of plain black tops (always get too distracted by all those lovely patterned fabrics out there), so I reckon a nice crisp black cotton version is going to the top of my to-sew list!

12. charlottepb says:

Just like Marmite, I love it!

13. Erika says:

Gorgeous! Nice with a pattern that comes together so quickly =) I loved the other blouse too (I wrote a comment, but I think my computer ate it…). The pleats from the neckline is so smart! I’m hopefully done with drating a holk-sleeve blouse pattern (the toille looked good, but one never knows) and of course I’m pondering variations. All of a sudden the idea to move the excess from bustdart to pleats at the shoulder/neckline point has crept into my plans for future makes… =)
    Great blouse, great pattern! Have loads of fun in it ; )

14. Alana says:

Me thinks you are getting a jump on OWOP 2013!

15. Funnygrrl says:

I would be too scared to pick up this fabric. But it looks great on you. I guess a bust print needs a simple style? Very nice job. Love the buttons.

16. Funnygrrl says:

*busy print* Duh.

17. Elizabeth says:

Super cute top! Love the buttons.

18. Clare says:

A great way to wear yellow – looks great in a print. You have convinced me once again that I need this pattern and I look forward to seeing your future incarnations!

19. Miriana says:

I agree – this is a very nice top and it looks lovely on you!

20. Erin Cumming says:

Love this top on you. Love the fabric. Great choice. I have a similar pattern from the 80′s that has two tucks at the neck. Love the style.

21. Lovely! That’s going to be so versatile. I like the way you accessorised it too. That print can stand up to some really vibrant colours.

22. melonby says:

Looks really good!
    Also, I thought I’d nominate you for a “Versatile Blogger Award” on account of your blog being pretty great – I hope you’ll accept.

I’ve put all the details up here: http://apileofsheep.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/versatile-blogger-award/

23. Marie says:

Eeep, another lovely blouse Karen…and mine’s still waiting to be sewn up. I need to get a wiggle on!!!

24. Summery and delightful; another winner. And I love the yellow buttons.