Pyjama Party – Hemming Your PJs

It’s the final countdown!

Woohoo! If you’ve stuck with me this far, you’re a friend for ever. Today we are going to hem our pyjamas. The final push across the finish line to be hugged by our family and friends.

If length is important to you, you might want to slip your PJs on and ask someone to mark where you’d like the length to end. Or remember the inside leg length you measured right at the start of this exercise. Mark your PJs accordingly.

Turn your pyjamas inside out and take them to the ironing board. I use a sleeve board to press my hems. Turn over a scant 6mm and press. Turn over another fold and press again. I just eyeball this stage. Pin as you go.

Take your PJs to the sewing machine. You’ll need to remove the extension table to slip your hems beneath the needle:

Then, you know, sew! You might consider choosing a contrast thread and a decorative stitch. I used bright pink thread for this final stage. I’m lucky enough to have some embroidery stitches on my machine, so I went with a little flower design:

We’ve finished! One brand spanking new pair of pyjamas, and maybe some new sewing friends.

So, from 7am tomorrow I’ll share the big reveal of me wearing my pyjamas. A few other peeps may feel inclined to share details of their makes to enter the Giveaway Of Awesomeness. Party!!!

That’s not all. There will be a few special blog posts lined up on the day. After all, what’s a Pyjama Party without friends, fun and games?

14 Responses to Pyjama Party – Hemming Your PJs

1. francoise says:

These pyjamas buttoms look great! Love your idea of fancy stitches for the hem. I am looking forward to seeing all the pyjamas out tomorrow!

2. Pella says:

Great fabric you have picked for these! You have motivated me to get some long planned pjs made. (pics on blog).

3. francoise says:

Sorry about the spelling mistake. I meant pyjamas bottoms!! (Honestly, I wasn’t trying to be funny…)

4. Roobeedoo says:

Woo hoo! Paaa-rrr-taaay!

5. Pippa says:

Oh they look lovely. I am trying to stash bust atm and dont have anything that would do for pj’s :( {or the time to do them} but will def follow on soon with a new pair.

6. Melizza says:

I forget to use my embroidery stitches. What a great idea to use them for the hem.

7. Liz says:

yay! I can’t believe it… I finished mine!!! Can’t wait for the party tomorrow!

8. ooh, love the fancy hems! is a sleeve board the name of the tiny ironing board? might need to get one of those as i’m getting fed up of lugging the ironing board out every time i sew, and hubby is fed up of it always sitting out (it’s the only time it every gets used it our house!)

9. I am insanely jealous of that decorative stitching. In my youth, there was a silly expression best rendered as “tray bonnie”. They are!

10. Marie says:

How cute is your little flower stitch…I want!!!

11. Reethi says:

Oh, cute! I was thinking I’d use the ric-rac on the PJ hem… (why do I own ric-rac? I’m in my late 30s.) For a change, I’m actually not so far behind that I cannot catch up!

• Kirsty S says:

I just bought 10 metres of ricrac in a mix of colours yesterday! I’m a few years ahead of you and figure there’s an 8-year old lurking inside me ;-)
      Ricrac would be so cute on the hems.

12. Fiona says:

Ooo, flowery hem stitch! Nice touch, I love it! (and I’m somewhat envious, you already made me covet an overlocker, now you tantalise me with fancy stitches …)
    Sewing day for me tomorrow, I will email you a photo of them when done.

13. grenouille78 says:

Count another one as jealous of your fancy floral stitch! My pj’s will be ready for tomorrow!