Never Open Your Overlocker

I don’t know, guys. I can’t put my finger on it, but something’s bothering me. Do you think … maybe, I need to … could it be that …

IS IT TIME TO CLEAN MY OVERLOCKER?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Never Open Your Overlocker

1. ooobop! says:

Lol… eeewww! Looks a bit scary to me! x

2. Kalina says:

Looks like mine :) I tell you a secret, I vacuum clean it… I put the vacuum cleaner on low power so it doesn’t pull the threads, and in seconds it’s done!

3. That’s nothing. I take to mine with a vacuum cleaner regularly! Just be careful though – you’ll probably have to *gasp* rethread the machine after!!

4. KC says:

I just go at it with some canned air and the dust goes away! Well, it probably goes elsewhere in the room, but I’ll just vacuum it up eventually.

5. yikes! is that overlocker vomit?

6. Marie says:

Haha! I actually had to open mine yesterday as one of the threads snapped and I had to re-thread…it looked identical. Nothing a good hoover didn’t fix though ;o)

7. nothy lane says:

I read somewhere never to blow on the machine innards because it can cause rust and other bad things. You should vacuum it. It’s amazing how dirty it gets. If you lived in Ontario, I would tell you about a school custodian who will fix them for a coffee.

8. I’d say the answer is yes. Maybe we could have an overlocker clean-along!

9. Sherry says:

Just don’t blow on it – or it will end up in your face!
    Speaking from experience of course….

10. they are fuzz factories. best not to look at all ;)

11. LinB says:

Hahahahahaha! I swinge mine out with a long-handled artist’s paintbrush after every use; and vacuum it once a year or so with a special teeny teeny teeny tiny teeny attachment. Your fuzz looks far more festive and jolly than does mine … have been sewing black linen and olive green cotton twill this week.

12. Jennifer says:

Oh my! So that’s what I have to look forward to. Evil little things – how dare they get so dirty! ;-)

13. ahhh….it’s been 20 some years…but I remember what an overlocker is…silly you to have Overlooked your Overlock. :) cool photo tho!

14. Erin Cumming says:

HA! I laughed out loud when I saw this! If it makes you feel any better, mine looks about the same!

15. LLADYBIRD says:

Hahaha oh man, I looove cleaning my overlocker. It’s part of my little pre-sewing ritual – wind a bobbin, thread the machine & overlocker, clean machine & overlocker, rip sewing room apart in search of thread snippers, turn on 80s pop playlist on Pandora, etc.

16. gingermakes says:

Whoa dude. Whoa.

17. Katie says:

they get crazy dusty don’t they?! Mine always looks so much worse than my machine, maybe I should give mine a going over too…

18. kaitui_kiwi says:

Haha, you made me laugh :) That’s how mine looks at the moment too but I actually enjoy cleaning my machines, I’m kind of weird like that ;) I de-thread mine and vacuum it on full power and I have a paint brush that I stick inside to move the hard to reach fluff towards the suction.

19. Clara says:

Yes, I vacuum clean mine too!

20. Tilly says:

Don’t do it!! You’re bound to cut your finger off if you do.

Hang on a minute – tell me this is a pre-scheduled post and you haven’t schlepped your overlocker to San Francisco??

21. Dalila says:

Ouh! I love that… it’s the only reminder of those old days of cleaning the lint in the computer’s mouse ball. Oh, I couldn’t wait for the next time to clean it =)