Significant Seams And A Significant Date

International readers may or may not be aware that it’s a Diamond Jubilee Weekend in the UK right now. Yep, Queenie has been on the throne for 60 years. Celebrations peak today with a pageant down the River Thames, although the weather man predicts rain storms of Biblical proportions. That’s Britain for you!

I am happy to admit to a fair amount of grumpiness surrounding the jubilee. I ventured out onto the streets of London earlier in the week only to be overwhelmed by bunting. Wherever I looked there was a Union Jack fluttering. So much enthusiasm! It just wasn’t cricket, people.

I’ve since got over my Victor Meldrew moment, cured by a visit to my local market: the covered indoor market I blogged about here, rather than the fabric-selling Walthamstow street market I bang on about incessantly.

Anyway, everyone was in high spirits and soon so was I when I spotted this:

Only this week, I’d been sorting through my sewing drawers, muttering, I’m running out of room. So I snapped this up. I’m still forcing myself not to think about the vintage sewing machines I saw for sale further into the market.

I do not need, I do not want, I do not need, I do not want…

Every event needs a man spinning discs.

My favourite moment was meeting Catherine of Significant Seams, a community-focused sewing and knitting social enterprise. Doesn’t she look lovely? And she is! I asked her to tell me a little bit about Significant Seams and I was blown away. They have a lending library of sewing books and patterns for locals:

They have supplies for local crafters to buy, a community quilting programme (including an awesome quilted map of Walthamstow), sponsored courses and some really lovely-sounding sessions for children and their parents. Coming from a children’s books background myself, I was delighted to hear how they had recently made some fun ‘knicker bunting’ in a session based around the new children’s book, The Queen’s Knickers.

Overall, I was really, really impressed with Catherine and her enterprise. I have everything crossed that she receives the grants she’s recently applied for.

I still struggle to believe that this market is right on my doorstep. Like, two minutes away. Yay, Walthamstow! Yay, creating! And Happy Jubilee, ma’am. I’d give a deep curtsey, but I fear poking myself in the eye with a knitting needle.

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Significant Seams And A Significant Date

1. Pingback: Significant Seams And A Significant Date | Light Dragoons

2. oh, my. that’s a l-o-t of bunting.

3. Catherine says:

I so love the idea of a sewing lending library, oh my.

4. significantseams says:

Reblogged this on Significant Seams and commented:
    THe lovely Karen of Did You Make That? Blog visited the Hub yesterday during our Jubilee festivities. THis morning Twitter informed me of this really lovely bit of journalism about us and our fabulous Wood Street Market. If you are interested to be part of our twitter community, we are @seamssignif.

5. this makes me want to move back to the UK – not because of the bunting, but because of the stores :-)

6. nothy says:

A lending library for sewing books and patterns – that would make getting into sewing a lot more affordable!

7. Roobeedoo says:

Fings ain’t wot they used ta be!
    Move to Scotland – not a bunt in sight! ;)
    But you would have to go to work tomorrow…

8. Elle C says:

As a Canadian and a subject of Her Majesty, of course I am aware of the Diamond Jubilee 8-D. I wish so much I could be there to see all the pageantry. You Brits or should I say the Royals do it so well. I will be watching on the TV, and sewing while watching (of course).

That sewing basket is gorgeous, what a find (or at least it would be here), I rarely see anything of that vintage, and if I do it is pricey.

9. sewforward says:

I laughed at your comment about the bunting – we have that here except for 4th of July (our independence day). More and more people are draping their houses in bunting and in some of the stores its racked and stacked on the shelves. I always think, Hmmm? Maybe I should do that . . . but I never do. I guess it is more fun to enjoy other’s enthusiaum (sp?) then jump start my own.

10. Linda says:

Another Canadian here and I have to say I’m so insanely jealous of all your fabulous sewing shops and markets. Nothing like that where I am :( I think a trip to London is in order!!

11. gingermakes says:

Wow! Significant Seams sounds awesome! It sounds like you’re in the perfect neighborhood! :)

12. Debbie Cook says:

“I’d give a deep curtsey, but I fear poking myself in the eye with a knitting needle.”

Great post, but this one really got me giggling. :-)

13. Coco says:

Oh,I hope you bought the sewing basket!

14. Bold Sewist says:

Yet again Walthamstow is THE place to be! I must make a visit one day. I can’t believe you’re not in the jubilee spirit! ;-)

15. Meg @ Mood says:

Very aware of the jubilee here in NYC! May even have to dress up Mood’s mascot Swatch in honor of it. Any thoughts on what would look good on a Boston terrier?

16. Sorry to hear that the UK has been loud and rambunctious lately but I’m glad you met Catharine. She sounds amazing and her efforts to promote sewing is amazing!

17. Pingback: Jubilee-ness round-up « Significant Seams

18. Pingback: Come Dance? Ballgowns at the V&A | Did You Make That?

19. Pingback: Pyjama Party – The Classes | Did You Make That?