Two Tips – Tweezers and Tacos

When tidying up a make and getting rid of all those tiny stray threads caught up in seams, a decent set of tweezers could save your sanity. They’ll get to places nothing else can reach.

I like to pin out on my ironing board. It’s a good height and a nice surface to shift things along on. But I have to constantly lift my work to ensure that the pin doesn’t go through the ironing board cover. With Beth’s voice ringing in my ears – Work on the flat, Karen! – I grabbed a taco box, threw out the stale taco shells, checked the cardboard for grease spots and then tore off a chunk to slide beneath my work. No more lifting required!

Do you want salsa, with that?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Two Tips – Tweezers and Tacos

1. lien says:

that’s a fantastic idea! I do use my ironing board all the time and have the exact same problem :-)

2. zoe says:

Tweezers – genius! I’d never have thought of that. Whatever you’re making in the taco-box picture looks mighty pretty.

3. Pella says:

Tweezers! Good idea. I have a tip for the taco box situation, link if allowed is http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/hooray/ . Wonderful bits of plastic to let you cut, hand sew or pin without piercing whatever is underneath. Another tip, for removing zillions of thread bits left after delicate unpicking is to press sticky tape (Scotch, Sellotape) down on the area and rip it up. Like leg waxing, it yanks out offending threads in bunches.

4. Andrea says:

LOL — I have an old 14″ x 18″ sketchbook with a heavy cardboard back that I use kinda like your taco box. I like that I can pull a skirt over it when basting in a zipper and not sew the flippin’ thing to the other side of the skirt!

5. The taco box has a certain flair that my old Tupperware lid rather lacks (but it serves the same purpose).

6. Elizabeth says:

Sheer genius! Well done!

7. Maryom says:

Why did I never think of tweezers? I always use my teeth!

8. sorbetsurprise says:

I use my ironing board too but I have never thought of using cardboard though I use old packets for templates alllll the time.

9. redsilvia says:

I can think of no better use for a box of taco shells. Ew!
    In addition to handy tweezers, I would like to recommend the needle nosed pliers. Those are a marvel in this life.