Advanced Style – Sewing Inspiration

Don’t you just love a man who loves women? If you’re looking for sewing and style inspiration, I urge you to check out this book. (Though possibly from the library. It’s not cheap.)

Ari Seth Cohen has a fabulous photo blog where he captures images of stylish women. There’s only one rule – they are all of a certain age. Now, he’s had a book published. That’s Not My Age recently attended the London book launch, a fact that makes my whole body shudder in a fit of envy.

When I heard about this book, I knew I had to have it. It’s wonderful, stretching from the classic to the dotty, from the sweet and pretty to the abrasive and slightly scary. There’s even giant ric rac! (Scruffy Badger, I am looking at you.) It’s full of women who love themselves and – dang! – they love their clothes.

I was stupidly thrilled that my own chipped, violet nail varnish matched the chipped, violet nail varnish of one of the subjects:

I think I enjoyed most the ladies who are still unashamedly girlish. I hate that some of the ‘rules’ of dressing tell us we can’t wear colours or styles after a certain age because they’re considered property of the young. Why the heck not? I mean, we can bring taste to these things, can’t we? We’re not stupid – most of us will work out what works. And if we don’t, we’d still be having fun!

┬áThe book is also punctuated with inspiring quotes from the ladies featured. Though my personal favourite quote is below – it’s going to become my new rule of life!

Shuffle, ball, change!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Advanced Style – Sewing Inspiration

1. Lotte says:

That’s wonderful, I think I may have to get a copy myself and show it to my mum and stepmother, both repeat offenders in the ‘I can’t wear that, I’m too old’ category. I do my best to steer them away from the mindset, but really all I am able to do is ensure that I never adopt the attitude myself! The lady in the striped dress. She’s my new (latest) hero.

2. Rehanon says:

That lady in the floral dress wearing a cameo is nothing short of amazing. Must check the book out it looks fantastic.

3. yesilikethat says:

This book is the bomb. I recently met one of the ladies who is featured in the book, she is super-awesome and a brilliant artist (there’s a post about her here http://www.tattydevine.com/blog/2012/06/5200/). I love that they all wear so much bright colour, it shows that camel and navy aren’t the only options when you get to 60 (god forbid)

4. Marie says:

Aaah, these ladies look fierce and fabulous! I love that the book seems to feature the classic look and also those not afraid of prints and colours – I hate that women are often told what not to wear beyond certain ages! I think if you like it and you feel comfortable/happy in it, wear it! I hope I can get my hands on a copy of this!

5. Pippa says:

I love that quote…

6. shivani says:

those ladies are such an inspiration. looks like a fab book – I’m definitely going to get a copy!

7. Yea I’ve been following him for a while but not closely enough to get the book. Btw he does men as well. Yesterday’s post with the two Scottish guys (green-check, coloured pants-check, bonus well-behaved pupply dog-check) ticked a lot more boxes than usual XD.

8. Roobeedoo says:

I don’t think I will mind being really REALLY old. It’s this in-betweeny stage when everything starts heading south for the winter and yet my face breaks out in acne – that just sucks! Maybe I will just have to distract everyone from the mess with crazy clothes ;)

9. sewbusylizzy says:

OMG I love it! I work at a theatre/gallery and I love the older women who come in beautifully dressed. Yes we have lots of glamorous young women in short dresses and killer heels but I love the beautifully and magnificently dressed ladies who sweep in with seasoned assuredness and never tug their skirts over their skinny rumps. There is nothing so fabulous as quiet self assurance, it’s inspiring. I salute them.

10. Molly says:

Very fun, looks like a great coffee table book to just flip through once in a while

11. Must get this book! :)

12. dottiedoodle says:

Great looking book, thank you for the tip. Love the quote – I’ve always lived by ‘what would the Queen do’, but Fred Astaire sounds a lot more fun!!

13. I absolutely love that web site, how great there’s a book now. I think more women should check it out, we can all use a reminder that you can be completely fabulous (if not better!) as you age. I love how creative and fun these women are.They always put a huge smile on my face.

14. Definitely wonderful to see this! I don’t even think I had any sense of style when I was, say, in my twenties. Only when I got into making my own clothes was I able to think about what my own taste really was, plus have the confidence to try some things that are more distinctive. I wonder if the ladies in the book have always been this stylish, or if they came to it later in life.

15. After reading this post, I so want this book. I hope I am that stylish at their age!

16. I will be looking out for that book. I want to be one of those ladies when I grow up!

17. Reblogged this on The Material Lady and commented:
    Many ladies seem to see getting ‘older’ as a limitation. I want to be one of these ladies.

18. allisonC says:

Having just turned a year older this is a post to cheer me up. I have quite a few years to go before I could feature in this book, but I sure hope by the time I am that age my style will match up to these ladies!

19. Something for us all to aspire to. What a wonderful book. Thanks for sharing

20. symondezyn says:

Oh my gosh, they’re so beautiful and adorable! I always love looking at women of any age who are truly confident in themselves and what they’re wearing; I find it incredibly uplifting and inspiring. I have noticed that the majority of ladies I notice who are confident are NOT of the young, supermodel variety… isn’t that interesting? I assume because it takes practice and a fair bit of maturity to shrug off society’s “ideals” and just be one’s self :)

21. It is like a prediction of the future…..I can see myself as “that mad old bat” dressed *outrageously* (still sporting elephant prints & the biggest rick rack you can find) ….

22. Carolyn says:

Oh what a wonderful book, I will definitely have to look this one out! Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention! I would like to think of myself as growing old disgracefully, especially in my sartorial choices :)