Leigh-on-Sea Vintage and Handmade Fair

What time is it, Karen? It’s Sew O’Clock!

Isn’t this the most awesome wrist pin cushion ever? I bought it from Mary at the Leigh-on-Sea Vintage and Handmade Fair. I was spending the day with one of my most bessie mates in the whole world, Alex. Here we are enjoying coffee and cake:

Alex and her husband, Barrie, are two of the finest human beings to ever walk this earth, who have sired two of the gorgeous-ist children ever to skip this earth, so it’s always a happy day when I visit them. Yesterday, though, us girls had plans to shop and shop we did, leaving Dad and the kids to visit a fire station!

The fair was a fantastic combination of handmade and vintage. There was oodles of loveliness and originality.

The above photo is of Betty, co-owner of The Dinky Emporium, who are opening a new shop next weekend! I love her look, don’t you?

After some vigorous spending, Alex and I strolled around Leigh-on-Sea, visiting the charity shops and their fabulous fabric shop, Belle Fabrics.

After all this shopping, it was time to eat! And eat, we did…

Finally, can I leave you with some snaps of this curiosity brooch I couldn’t resist buying for a couple of quid. I don’t know that I’ll ever wear it, but isn’t it intriguing? I love that the postcards are hilariously from Cockington!

I really recommend a day trip to Leigh-on-Sea. I last visited to trawl the charity shops with Miss P. It’s a great place to escape to from London.

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Leigh-on-Sea Vintage and Handmade Fair

1. Sewingmrsc says:

I was in lovely Leigh-on-Sea yesterday too, and in that fabric shop!! They have a great selection of trimmings that got the idea generations flowing rapidly. Good to see you enjoyed your day in sunny Essex!

2. lovely pincushion and, oh, what glorious sunshine!

3. annie says:

I want those red and white sunglasses!

4. Ha! I was doing that fair yesterday! I thought I saw your doppelganger but I guess it was actually you! I should have risked it not being you and gone and said hi!

5. Sam says:

Fabulous pin cushion, I need one of those! Looks like you had a great day – that meringue and strawberries looks divine!

6. thanks for bringing back some lovely memories for me! i lived in leigh, many years ago, and spent much of my time off exploring the shops and gardens and stairs and old town…sigh…it was lovely, especially to a canadian who had never seen such charming sights. i’m glad to hear it is becoming a destination for hip crafty folk such as yourself. hurrah!

7. Oh Karen, you are one lucky gal to have such a super cute pincushion. I wish I could jump on a plane and come visit that fine city, and get myself a pincushion like that cute little clock on your wrist. Oh and I’d like a little curiosity brooch like yours, it is gorgeous. Okay I confess, I like shopping sometimes!

8. Shams says:

YES, IT IS! lolol

9. Molly says:

Looks like tons of fun! I love your new brooch!

10. sandra says:

Ohhh, I grew up in Southend so used to visit Leigh-on-Sea a lot. When I go back home my favourite thing to do is hit those charity shops with my mum. There used to be a fab second hand bookshop of the old school kind – I hope it’s still there, I got a fair few of my old crafty books in there. You’ve made me want to go back!