Sewaholic’s Alma Blouse – Tested!

Back in June, I volunteered to test Sewaholic’s latest pattern, the Alma Blouse. Isn’t it gorgeous? I was so keen to make this up that I hit Walthamstow market on a Sunday. Don’t ever hit Walthamstow market on a Sunday, when shopping for fabric. It had, like, one fabric shop open and my hopes weren’t high. But I spotted this print and snapped it up.

The cotton was quite light and had a decent amount of drape, so I knew it would need underlining. I bought some white linen/viscose mix for the job. I think both sets of fabric cost me £9. I was good to go!

This was my first time working with an invisible zip in the side seam of a blouse. I was very nervous, but it worked out just fine. I was also nervous about the fit because – you know me – I’m paranoid about fit. But this gently follows your curves with some really interesting vertical darts.

I adore the neckline, don’t you? And the cap sleeves. And the belt. And, and … everything!

Any other thoughts, Karen? I think fabric choice is fairly crucial. You don’t want anything too stiff, but anything too fine and invisible zip insertion will be a nightmare. So, you know, choose carefully.

Hand on heart, this is a great pattern, with variations that could lead to myriad interpretations. Three different sleeve lengths, three different collars and the option of a belt. Value for money extromundo. I defy the stranger in the street to spot that you’ve just made nine different versions of the same pattern!

42 Responses to Sewaholic’s Alma Blouse – Tested!

1. Nothy Lane says:

Oh I love it! The Alma looks fabulous on you. I have to head over to Sewaholic and buy the pattern.

2. Shivani says:

Really lovely! I ordered this pattern this morning – can’t wait to get my mitts on it! Those colours really suit you, btw :)

3. punkmik says:

ooo another sewing tester! I love this blouse already! Having seen yours, lladybirds and tasia’s version now I am convinced this will be on the top of my pattern wish list! it is so versatile and I love that neckline!

4. LLADYBIRD says:

Ooooh, I love your version – and how different it looks than mine with that pretty drapey fabric. It’s such a great pattern, I can’t wait to make up more :)

5. I JUST ordered this pattern and can’t wait to try it. I’m particularly excited about the collar variations. The neckline you chose is lovely, and the fabric and print are perfect! Thanks for the fabric tips. Much appreciated. Cheers!

6. Sandy O'Leary says:

It’s beautiful…I love your choice of fabric. I have just bought the pattern myself, can’t wait to try it.

7. I am such a sucker for a little cap sleeve. That is lovely fabric you chose, such pretty colours and as mentioned a very nice drape for the blouse.

8. Elizabeth says:

That print is just perfect for that pattern. You made it up beautifully!

9. Fiona says:

I love that, and I will definitely be ordering the pattern. Lovely fabric choice too.

10. Nikki says:

Love it! I ordered this after only seeing Tasia’s versions, now I have seen yours and Lauren’s – wow! I really need to make myself some tops, but I need to stop making Cambies first!!

11. oonaballoona says:

oh, this is beautiful! i just saw lauren’s version and i love how the different drape in fabric gives them both such a distinct look…. i think this will be my first sewaholic buy :))

12. sarah says:

Oo wow, I love the neckline along with the shape and fit of the blouse, lovely fabric choice too.

13. Roobeedoo says:

Oooh – neckline love! I didn’t spot that when I saw the pattern drawing.
    And your fabric is lovely too :)

14. Funnygrrl says:

This is my fave option selection for this new blouse pattern. The V-notch neck and cap sleeves. Thank you for the pointers on fabric selection. Good to know.

15. Absolutely gorgeous blouse! I can’t wait to order this pattern.

16. Stacy says:

Karen this is stunning! Love the fabric you chose. Beautiful work.

17. You look great! Great job!
    How do you find time to do all these wonderful clothings – I am stuck with so many UFO’s ….

18. Nicole says:

I tested this pattern and made this version too :-) the shape is so flattering! I really love your choice of fabric

19. symondezyn says:

This is so darn pretty – i can see it on you in a romantic white as well, with lace details :) I love the neckline and the little cap sleeves! Yours and Lauren’s are both so pretty and so different, it really speaks to the versatility of this pattern, and definitely makes me want it for my own! ^__^

20. It’s so pretty on you! I ordered my version this morning and it just shipped: I can’t wait to give it a try!

21. sew2pro says:

I love that pattern and those colours. Very vibrant!

22. Annie says:

Gorgeous fabric Karen! This is my favourite version of the top and it looks fabulous!

23. Marie says:

Oooh lovely Karen…your fabric choice is ace! I tested the peter pan collar version…can’t wait to unveil it tomorrow ;o)

24. prttynpnk says:

Oh you are a perfect advertisement for this, i love it on you, too cute!

25. Carolyn says:

Perfect fabric choice…perfect pattern…perfect new top! Priceless as the Mastercard commercial says!

26. Sam says:

I love this! It looks great on you, the print is lovely and the colours really suit you. It looks like a great pattern too, with plenty of options. Could well be my first Sewaholic pattern purchase!

27. Helen Made says:

Oh lovely. I got so excited when I saw this pattern. It’s definitely going to have to go on my wishlist. It looks like such a versatlie pattern.

28. sewbusylizzy says:

This is perfect on you. I love the gentle shape and the vibrancy of your fabric choice. Lovely job, I will have to wait for it to land ‘down under’
    On another matter… How is the Olympics treating you?

29. Joanne says:

Beaut version! I love this pattern and cant wait to try it out post baby – I really love the collar/long sleeved version!

30. Tamsin W-P says:

Beautiful! I love this neckline on you. Well done!

31. Pingback: Sewaholic Alma Blouse and Megan Nielsen Kelly skirt « SewSquirrel

32. gingermakes says:

This looks so nice on you! I love the fabric! Thanks for the fabric recommendations– that’s so helpful!

33. joyful says:

Is it possible to buy Sewaholic patterns in the UK? I really want to make this blouse.

34. danvillegirl says:

Love the version of the Alma Blouse you made. Every one I have seen is unique and so versatile. I am now going to have to buy this pattern.

35. Really cute pattern.. Specially the sleeves and the print you choose it’s very cute x

36. I really love your version Karen, such a great print that doesn’t mask the top’s pretty details…..

37. Sassy T says:

Looks fabulous. Did I say I just love the fabric? Aye, aye, aye.

38. Yes, it looks fantastic. I loe it. The fabric you chose looks perfect. I will def get myself a copy of this pattern. I like the neckline – its the first thing I noticed and the capped sleeve are cool too. I’m just getting to an age? To think I should stop going sleeveles. That’s hard to live with in summer so I’m loving the capped sleeves.

39. megthegrand says:

It looks fantastic! I love the fabric you chose!

40. Pingback: SEWAHOLIC ALMA in print | Sew Busy Lizzy