Colette Pattern’s Hazel Dress

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that everyone needs a Lobster Dress in their life. It’s not just me, people! I was entirely inspired by other Sewists who had previously worked with lobster print fabric. I’ve waited a full year to copy All Style and All Substance who first made a glorious Lobster Dress back in June 2011.

I believe Adrienne bought this fabric from Goldhawk Road, but I didn’t know when I was going to get there next so I purchased mine from Ebay at £3.99 a metre. You can find the supplier here.

The dress works really well with a cardigan thrown over the top. In fact, knowing that I would want to wear this dress even when it was too chilly for bare arms and legs, I lined the skirt in some oyster acetate lining. I can now wear the dress with tights all through winter, should I so choose!

I added a couple of cute details. Ric rac at the shoulder strap and some orange thread embroidery at the hem.

If you haven’t already recognised it, this is Colette Pattern’s Hazel Dress. I didn’t toile first, just crossed my fingers. I did grade the bodice from a 10 at the waist to a 6 at the chest. Even then, I had to pinch another few centimetres out of the front bodice at the top. My body! Jeez! The good news is that this bodice is very easy to adjust because of where the seam lines fall. On some bodices, if it’s too big at the top chest, there’s not much I can do about it other than put in some darts after the affair, which is always a shame. On this make, you can try on as you make, unpick seams, take them in – job done!

The other thing I like with this make is that I can adjust the shoulder straps to my wonky body. My left shoulder sits low and I’ve had a lifetime avoiding strappy dresses, because the straps always fall off my left shoulder. Not so, now! (At least, not hopefully.) Left shoulder strap duly shortened!

I added two inches to the length of the skirt. I also lowered the bust darts – I’m used to doing that now on Colette Patterns.

This dress was a big surprise. I saw it, liked it, bought it – but I wasn’t paying it a huge amount of attention. Nice summer dress, yeah, I’ll have one of those. But this is so much more than a summer dress. There’s something a little bit sophisticated and a little bit sexy going on. I have already bought some lovely black cotton to make my first ever Little Black Dress of my sewing career. Can’t you just see it with a starburst brooch at the shoulder strap? I’m so making that next!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to Colette Pattern’s Hazel Dress

1. woolcat says:

Pretty! Does your machine do that embroidery stitch, or did you do it by hand? I love that dress pattern but wonder whether it will work on someone with too much tummy. That would be me.

I like your oceanic theme, with the lobster fabric and oyster lining!

2. annie says:

So cute. You look great in it, too.

3. love it – what a fab print! i love my as yet unblogged about hazel and pretty sure i see more of them in my future!

4. Jennifer says:

I LOVE it!! The little details you added are charming and, of course, those lobsters are perfect.

5. Sam says:

Fab! I love the little added details. The Hazel dress would look lovely in black, in fact it looks like its the kind of pattern you could make up in any number of different fabrics and it would look good.

And you’ve quoted the first few words from my favourite book!

6. I have that fabric! adding Hazel to the list of possible pattern partners..

7. megthegrand says:

You can never go wrong with a lobster dress! It turned out beautifully, and I love the embroidery you added – such a fabulous touch!

8. so fun! love the extra details.
    i can’t wait to jump into a hazel myself. i’m glad to hear it was easily adjusted, as it sounds like we are similarly shaped.

9. Adrienne says:

LOooooove!!!!!! You took the Lobster dress to a whole other level!! I like all the little details as well. :-) I wish you had posted a picture of the lining! Sounds luxurious.

10. LinB says:

Every time I see one of these lovely lobster dresses, I covet them. I especially like the red-on-blue print of your new frock. How veddy, veddy Schiaparelli of you.

11. Beautiful version of Hazel. Looks perfect on you. I adore the ricrac and orange flowers! I’m just getting back from a New England jaunt. That would have been the perfect dress for this trip. I’m totally stealing your look next time I’m up this way.

12. A lobster dress?!?! I LOVE it!!!

13. Carolyn says:

Super cute – the dress and the lobster fabric! Very summery! I really like the embroidery at the hem – it gives it that extra something special. : )

14. symondezyn says:

Woo hoo! nice Hazel! I freaking LOVE the orange embroidery!!! ^___^ So interesting to hear how everyone is fitting theirs; yours looks great! I hear ya on the bust darts; I think I have to lower mine next time LOL

15. Karen says:

What a stunning dress – it’s perfect in that style and you look fabulous in it! Hm-m-m – just wondering: do you have lobsters in England? (If not, I guess you do now…!)

16. Marie says:

You’re right, there’s something special about this little pattern and I love your version with all the cute touches you added! What a great use for the retro fabric too, can’t wait to see your little black version – great idea!

Did you adapt the front bodice/neckline at the top, i.e bring it a bit higher and more curved? Or am I just going crazy?!?

• Yes, it does have a slight curve. I thought that was how it was meant to be from looking at the pattern, but no one else’s is like that. Must just be me! I think it looks high because of the shortened straps.

17. Roobeedoo says:

… so now I’m dancing round the table singing “Rock Lobster” and it’s ALL YOUR FAULT!
    Fab frock! You rock those lobsters, you really do! ;) I love the embroidery and ricrac details.

18. joyful says:

That is one gorgeous dress!! The fabric is brilliant and I love the hem embroidery – what sewing machine do you have?
    You know your butterfly skirt? Well I’ve made one as well – sorry but I fell in love with it and spooted the dabric on outside Sainsbury material man 2 weeks ago and bought his last 2 metres. I think yours is better constructed but I have lined mine with shocking pink – just for fun! Thanks for the inspiration

19. Quirky and beautiful!

20. Cynthia says:

I adore this fabric so much! You look fantastic

21. Fiona says:

That’s one gorgeous dress! The hazel is a really good style on you, can’t wait to see the little black version!

22. sew2pro says:

You look beautiful. This is one of my favourite makes of yours. Lovely colours.

23. Sarah says:

LOBSTERS!!! What a magnificent dress! <3

24. Kat H says:

Gorgeous! I totally want a lobster dress now – this is fabulous! :-)

I love the embroidery around the hem – such a cute touch.

25. michelle says:

Fantastic! And makes me wish I’d been brave enough to buy the orange monkey fabric I saw at my local fabric store the other day, to make a summer frock.

26. velosewer says:

Lobsters!! I love your dress and want to make one too for summer.

27. kristinm100 says:

Such a sassy dress. I LOVE that fabric.

28. Lucy says:

Cool dress! But Karen – you need an FBA. Is someone going to have to bully you into trying it out?! Seriously, it makes a world of difference to the fit :-)

29. Nikki says:

That is an awesome dress! Hazel is in my ‘to do’ pile but doubt I’ll get round to it this year.

30. Helen Made says:

Love it – that fabric is awsome! Can’t wait to see the LBD version. I Haven’t got round to buying this dress yet – I have way too many other patterns to get thorugh first!

31. Juliet says:

Lobster dress. I’ve heard of them, but yours has won me over. Genius!

32. Swoon! How to make lobsters sophisticated! Love it :-)

33. I am insanely jealous of the hemline embroidery. And the fabric. And the ric rac. And how cool it all looks. And perhaps most of all the fact that it’s warm enough to wear such a thing as a sleeveless dress. I don’t believe it will ever again happen here (I do get a bit glum about the cold at this time of year, don’t mind me). Is it time to start reading about the Lobster Quadrille?

34. sorbetsurprise says:

Love it! The lobster fabric does seem to be a blogger fabric of choice. The Hazel looks fabulous on you and I love the little details you added.

35. shivani says:

gaaahhhhhh. Another magnificent creation. love it. looks like you got a great fit too.
    I have some of this lobster fabric (from Goldhawk Road), but am saving it for the perfect summer dress (and perfect summer).
    I think this will look amaze as a LBD (something that I also need to add to my sewing list!)

36. I’ve been meaning to pick up a Hazel, for when I get back to sewing. Looks great! That lobster fabric is so crazy awesome!

37. Katrina says:

I love love love that embroidered hem. And that lobster fabric is giving me all kinds of ideas. What about other seemingly random species? A badger top, perhaps? An octopus skirt? And why stop at animals? Those microscope pictures of fluorescent-stained bacteria would be awesome as a print too…

38. Got-dang it, Karen! Now I want lobster fabric! You look fabulous – can’t wait to see your LBD!

39. Erika says:

Love it! Just the kind of fun fabric I always chicken out of buying… And I’m with Lucy, maybe time to try an FBA? Although you were very modest I’m guessing your new-found cup-size is more than B? I know you usually do a narrow chest adjustment, but maybe cutting a size smaller, doing an FBA and grade out for waist and hips is an idea? One can always trace and toille =)
    Anyway, the dress is gorgeous and I’m looking forward to seeing it as a LBD!

40. Sewing Princess says:

I recognize the Bernina embroidery stitch. I love that one too. And the color thread you chose is great! I am glad to read you also had to make the bodice smaller.

41. Lisa says:

That’s a pretty funky dress Karen. I love the fabric . I’m sure once you conquer the FBA you’ll wonder why you ever waited as they are pretty simple once you get into the swing of things.

42. Fiona says:

I love this dress, it reminds me of a very fine holiday in New England a couple of years ago, when I became addicted to Lobster Rolls.
    The colours look great on you too!

43. Fatty Bumble says:

wow wee! Love love love this dress!
    Karen, I want to be like you when I grow up!

44. Janice says:

Looks great! I love the lobster print.

45. ZoSews says:

Love! I gots to get me some lobster fabric.

46. gingermakes says:

Love this! I’ve been crushing on this fabric for ages, too!

47. Joyful says:

Karen, have you any advice re buying a new sewing machine? I would like one that has a good range of features – what do you use? Thanks!

48. Tilly says:

Eep! This is too amazing! I want one. I NEED one, dammit! xx

49. Melizza says:

There should be a lobster garment get-together. Can you imagine a gaggle of women walking around London in lobster wear? It would blow minds!

50. Pingback: Lobsters, delicious and fashionable! « mystitchnbitch