Something To Squish Your Toes Into

This is the third project I’ve made from Jane Brocket’s The Gentle Art of Knitting – a rug for my bathroom! I love Jane’s book. It’s a knitting book I can genuinely sit and read simply for amusement.

My two most recent knitting projects have both been slow makes, involving DK wool. To refresh my palate, I wanted to knit something chunky and quick – enter the rug. I bought some cheap as chips chunky wool from Deramores. This is Stylecraft Life Super Chunky, coming in at £3.09 a ball. I think I used just over four balls for this make. Let’s say £13 cost in total. The wool is 70% acrylic, which suits me just fine – I will be throwing a bathroom rug in the washing machine! I can’t be doing with luxurious wool investments for such a deeply practical make.

I added a blanket stitch trim in some wool I had hanging around from a previous project. Sweet!

A note on blocking something like this. I kept my damp tea towel and iron close to the borders, to block all the curling edges out, but I didn’t want to flatten the gorgeous 3D shape out of the cables. Less is more.

If you don’t want to fork out for an entire book, in order to make a rug, you don’t need to. If you know how to cable knit, you can make this rug. If you don’t know how to cable knit, Google it – there’s bound to be a tutorial. (Look! I’ve found one here.) So with four balls of chunky wool, big knitting needles and some Google know-how you too could have your own knitted rug. It’s easy!

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Something To Squish Your Toes Into

1. Northern Narratives says:

This looks easy to make and nice if you use a washable yarn :)

2. Marie says:

Karen, I was looking at our sad bathroom mat with disgust just the other day, thinking ‘We really must replace that soon’! This is an even better solution…I love your knitted rug…LOVE it and want one too. So I am shamefully going to copy you, as I even have that very book…but I’ll make mine in a different colour at least ;o)

3. Helen H says:

Beautiful – I love it! I’m off to look up that book on Amazon now…

4. Portia says:

Oooooh! Nice for bedside rugs. Love this!
    PS. Why don’t you come round with that bedside table one weekend and we’ll revamp the life out of it,,…if you like of course ;)
    Px

5. Molly says:

Haha, I have a shrug-top from the same wool as your bathmat! (Well, almost, I used the aran but it is the denim mixed in with the charcoal colour from the range http://bit.ly/NGCHBW). I love your bathmat, it’s such a great way to put colour in the bathroom and looks very pretty!

6. Portia says:

Likey your chair too!

• You’d be proud of me! That was rescued out of the street and painted. Very rickety, though. I won’t let Ian sit on it! There purely for throwing jim jams on when climbing into the shower.

7. Erin Cumming says:

This is a brilliant idea. I have a knitting board, and this is the perfect project for it! Thanks for the idea, and I love your blog (and your lobster dress!).

8. KristenMakes says:

Looks so nice! I LOVE the blanket stitch trim, lovely touch!

9. Christina says:

This looks really comfy. Somehow I’d have never thought of knitting a rug. That’s something I’d instantly connect to crochet.

10. Roobeedoo says:

What a great idea! I could use one of those…. :)

11. if only I knitted faster, I could make some lovely Christmas gifts. Lovely colour.

12. LinB says:

Oh, it’s beautiful! Color looks like it would match your new suit. Next time you make this rug, do at least 4 of the edge stitches in garter stitch — and at least 4 ridges (8 rows) at each end of the rug in garter stitch — and you’ll avert the curling that stockinette is prone to.

13. I really like this, I’d never have thought of a knitted rug! Our bath mats are a disgrace so perhaps I’d better get knitting.

14. CherryPix says:

What a great idea! Hope you don’t mind me pinteresting your bath matt for future reference!!

15. gingermakes says:

How pretty! It will really add a touch of luxury to your bathroom!