Central Saint Martins – This Is What Inspiration Looks Like

When I took my pattern making course at Central Saint Martins, we were in the depths of winter. The new school building behind Kings Cross had literally just opened. (I blogged about my first visit here.) The venue wasn’t even on Google Maps yet and my post-work approaches on wintry evenings meant walking down gloomy paths between hills of churned up mud. Digger trucks and men in fluorescent were my only company. There wasn’t a photo in the world that could have made the place look glamorous. The building itself was breath-taking, but its surrounds? Post-apocalyptic.

Look at it now. I literally didn’t recognise the place when I re-visited. It’s absolutely glorious.

These college steps lead down to the canal path, full of joggers and cyclists. It’s a short walk to Camden one way and a stroll to Islington, the other. If you want a break from your studies here, you’re surrounded by creativity and stimulation. This is the Song Board installation:

Central Saint Martins sewing courses can be found here and there are some knitting courses here. The college isn’t cheap, but it is very inspiring. I’m trying not to look too hard at the courses on offer. I’ve already spent a lot this year on studying!

STOP PRESS! There’s another Pattern Pyramid gone live over at Rocket Sews! in Tasmania. Some fab patterns still up for grabs, and Kirsty’s throwing in another Burda magazine, and we have our first ever Pattern Pyramid stalker. Who’ll be stalker number two?

STOP STOP PRESS! The Lobster Dress has received an unprecedented amount of IRL love. (Quote: ‘You went out of our way to buy lobster fabric, didn’t you?’ Me: ‘Yes.’) I shall be wearing it tomorrow when I GO TO THE OLYMPICS. It shall be adorned with the ocean-themed ring I have bought especially to wear with the dress. Sea shells, lobsters, sunshine, Olympics. Life doesn’t get any better than this! So if you’re watching the men’s volley ball, and spot someone in the audience wearing a Lobster Dress – it’s ME.

10 Responses to Central Saint Martins – This Is What Inspiration Looks Like

1. MariaDenmark says:

First of all: I shall be sure to watch the men’s volley ball tomorrow!
    And secondly: Am very envious of all the great classes available to you.. Unless I’m willing to travel 3 hours each way (and pay something like 50£ per trip – on top of the college fee) there are very few choices here.

2. Kelly says:

I’ll look for you on TV, Karen! It should be easy to spot you! (LOVE the dress!) ~Kelly

3. Deb H. says:

I am so envious of you. You get to live in London and you get to go to the Olympics! I will be looking for you in your lobster dress! Have a great time!

4. Marie says:

Wow looks lovely…wish I still lived close to London :o(

I shall be watching the telly closely tomorrow, you’ll be easy enough to spot in such a fabulous dress (and ring)!!!

5. Tamsin says:

The dress is fab – enjoy wearing it to the Olympics. The atmosphere will be amazing – I went to the rowing last Sat & it was unbelievable! (passed on your regards to Paddington Bear on the way)

6. Erin Cumming says:

To be honest, I haven’t watched a lot of the olympics, but I think I’m going to try to watch just to spot you! I am also a pattern pyramid stalker, I think… what are the qualifications?

7. Jenny says:

I just recently got back into sewing, so I looked for some sewing blogs to inspire me. I found yours a couple of weeks ago and have been spending all my free time reading the archives. I love your writing and your sewing style, but I am happy that now I am free to sew! Thanks for the laughs and smiles.

8. Pella says:

Its certainly changed since I was a student there, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and the main studios were on Charing Cross Rd with overspill in rooms in Soho. I don’t think campus was in the vocabulary then.

9. that’s spectacular, all right. Hope you have a great time at the Olympics.

10. tinygoldenpins says:

I will be looking for you, don’t you doubt it!!!!