V1247 – Skirt To Go With The Blouse!

Six months after making my first rendition of the V1247 blouse, I’ve made the skirt to go with it! I had some fabric left over from the LBD, so decided to put it to good use.

This is a double whammy pattern – skirt and blouse in one neat packet. How much do I love this pattern combo? A lot. A LOT, A LOT! It’s just great for a casual, yet smart outfit.

The sewing community seems torn on the blouse. The construction takes a lot of care – it’s entirely composed of French seams that meet in a patchwork combo that tests any Sewist’s skills. And yet, I’ve read the phrase ‘hospital scrubs‘ applied to this top. (Hello, Beth!) Fair enough. If you don’t like roomy, you won’t like this top. You will need to wear a vest beneath it, in order to save your modesty when bending over. But for myself? I LOVE both versions I’ve made of this top. On those days when you slightly want to hide your body, without wearing a Hessian sack, this fits the bill.

But this is my first time making the skirt. Thoughts? Oh V1247 skirt, when will you marry me? It’s not that taxing. I cut out one evening, and sewed together the following evening. It isn’t lined, but I don’t find that a problem on skirts this length and structure. They don’t embarrass themselves (or you) too much, even when worn with leggings or tights.

I added three inches to the length of this skirt – that’s how short the original pattern is. I cut out according to my measurements, but ended up taking in the skirt side seams quite a lot. Even then, I had to shave more off at the waist in order to give myself room for a buttonhole on the waistband. What gives? All pieces were cut out to the same measurements. Meurgh. (That’s me shrugging.)

The front pockets? Aren’t they the sweetest thing in the world? The construction is really interesting – internal shot coming up…

The pocket seam lines are all finished with bias tape, as you can see. It goes without saying that I expected to foul up this step. But, hey – I didn’t! So don’t be scared of this stage. It’s not as hard as it reads. The pattern suggests finishing every single skirt seam with bias binding. Um, no. Not when there’s an overlocker in the house.

I really, really love the V1247 pattern package. It’s not for everyone. Think carefully about whether or not a blousy top and short skirt appeal to you. But if this is your bag, I am going to promise you won’t regret investing in this pattern. The skirt’s so miniature it’s an obvious stash buster. The blouse is what I would call ‘academically’ interesting – it makes you think. Plus, you end up with the perfect weekend outfit.

Talking of weekends… What are you up to, peeps? Any sewing planned? Me? I’m going to the theatre, darlinks.

44 Responses to V1247 – Skirt To Go With The Blouse!

1. Carolyn says:

I like how you’ve styled this outfit! That skirt is one of my all time favorite skirt patterns. I even transferred the pockets to my TNT dress pattern. You should make another one to match the other top because this look is really cute on you!

2. Love this outfit. Styled perfectly, especially those red shoes. You look great.
    This is a three-day weekend here in the U.S., so I’m hoping to get some sewing done. I’d love to get a LOT of sewing done, but we’ll see.
    Congrats on another fabulous ensemble.

3. alibobs says:

I can’t believe you added 3″ to the hem! The pattern must be so mini. This weekend I am going to measure some left-over fabric in the hope I have enough to squeeze a skirt out of it, but I’m going to need more length than your skirt so I’m not hopeful!

4. Graca says:

Your skirt looks great with the leggings and red shoes. Love your version of the top too.

This skirt pattern is one of my favourite patterns, hands down, best skirt pattern ever. I have four versions of this skirt but I’ve added 10-12 inches on the hemline (and I’m only 5’1″) lol.

I have the top cut and sitting in my sewing drawer. I started it and it is half finished. I just don’t seem to have the energy to tackle it this summer. You are right, it does test the sewist–it is presently testing my patience–that is why it is in the drawer. I haven’t had the patience to finish meeting all those seams in the front. Maybe I shouldn’t have cut it in a slippery polyester fabric?

5. ruth says:

I love your version of this great combo, I made the skirt – a little longer and planed on sewing the top, but summer seems to be slipping away before I manage it!

6. Olivia says:

That’s a cool pattern! It looks great!

7. Super cute outfit. And my words are coming back to bite me (scrub top). I know you will get lots of wear out of that skirt in the winter, perfect with a sweater and tights. What am I doing this weekend? My birthday, Jetting off to Hawaii, mai tais in my future :) whoo hoo!

8. sew20something says:

This is beautiful!

9. Roobeedoo says:

At LAST! I knew you would love this skirt!
    Fab fab fab! :D

10. liza jane says:

Love those pockets. I also love the word “meurgh.” I may have to steal it.

11. I have been on the fence about this pattern, because I have always seen it on seriously slender and tall people. I think it looks really good on you and your version of the top looks really nice. Well done :-)

12. You beat me to it…I kind of knew you would, but hey, I’ll ride on the crest of your wave any day. Looks great by the way….so glad it delivers what it promises :-)

13. tinygoldenpins says:

Ooooh! Nice. I’m really loving that my fellow sewists have rediscovered leggings — with so many tempting tunic tops around and short little scalloped skirts, it’s nice to have a non-tight solution. I love this outfit and the pearls and red shoes look really great!

14. sewbusylizzy says:

I love this skirt. It’s such a flattering shape and the pockets make it so practical. I think I’m re-inspired to make it again (for the third time!).
    The top is on my ‘to-do’ list , I’ve just been a little scared…
    I agree Karen, this pattern is worth every cent.

15. Amanda says:

That skirt and I need to elope together! This looks fab and the internal view is too cute for words. I am somewhat agast that you added extra length- it must have been quite sassy beforehand. Love the comb- you look fab!

16. while it’s not a look I could ever have carried, it looks wonderful on you and just the thing for a cross between casual and dressy. I too was stuck by how well the pearls sit with the whole outfit.

17. oonaballoona says:

that internal shot is killer, i’d want to wear it inside out. pray tell, what shall you see at the theater?

18. redsilvia says:

Super cute skirt! I gasped when I saw that neat inside pocket finish. Gorgeous!

19. Sam says:

Looks great! I made the skirt last winter, but it’s a bit too big so hasn’t been worn that much. I need to make another one and get cracking on the top as well.

20. lloubb says:

3 day weekend, woohoo! I will be attending a wedding, in my first Cambie just hemmed up today!
    Glad to see you found a pattern you love– a top And bottom one at that!

21. MrsC says:

It is lovely! The pose did make me smile – if you have seen my latest blogpost, it is the same pose struck by the trompe de ‘oeil hooker painted on the wll down from my shop! hehehe. It is an affectionate tribute though, not an insinuation against your character!
    My weekend is taken up running our booth at the annual paper arts fair – although we don’t sell any scrapbooking or stamping stuff, we are selling all manner of glittery prettery :) And if you know the works of children’s author Lynley Dodd (“Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy” anyone?) we are selling lots of cross stitch patterns based upon the illustrations from her books :)

22. Rachel says:

It’s the first day of spring here in Oz, so we have spent the day doing spring cleaning. The flat is spick and span! (how’s that phrase spelt?!). Hopefully I’ll be able to fit a little bit of sewing in tomorrow, but the main goal tomorrow is to go to the garden centre and start my balcony garden!

23. Fiona says:

I made this blouse myself this summer, and it is a lovely pattern, but I cannot believe anyone would want the skirt as short as it comes in the pattern! Yours looks great with the little extra length, and together the two items do co-ordinate beautifully – I especially like the floral print of your blouse. Think I would need to lengthen the skirt by at least a foot though, if I were to avoid prosecution.

24. Clare says:

Be still my heart! You look fantastic. That pattern is going straight on my wish list – batwing sleeves and scandalously short skirts are my fashion drug of choice. Have a great weekend! I’m working unfortunately, but my town has its annual wine festival at the mo so I plan to unwind later!

25. You look super in that outfit. Those pocket seams are impressive too, I wonder if I’ll ever be that good.

26. Christina says:

Great (and versatile) skirt. And it even has pockets. And they look devine from the inside of the skirt! You just have to love sewing skirts, don’t you!?

27. Marie says:

Karen! I love this! It literally is the perfect smart/casual outfit, apt for so many occasions! I’ve been a fan of your top since you first posted about it…I really must get round to getting the pattern one day. And the skirt is so much nicer than I imagined it would be. Good work!!!

28. Emma says:

Lawks! You’re prolific! That’s such a great outfit Karen. Do you feel different when you wear pieces you’ve made?

29. Pingback: The Shirt Dress Cometh | Did You Make That?

30. Velosewer says:

Great outfit. I really need to make this skirt and I’ll definitely check the hem before I deal with this pattern. Thank you.

31. gingermakes says:

Super cute skirt! I love it! I’m so tempted to try both the skirt and the blouse, but I’m not sure either one would look that good on me. But yours are both so sweet that I really am interested!

32. Tilly says:

It’s lovely, Karen. I really like utility-style pockets. Although do you think you’ll actually keep stuff in them or are they more for playing with when your hands haven’t got anything better to do? xx

33. Janice says:

It looks great!

34. Pingback: Spring/Summer Plans 2012 | Sew Busy Lizzy

35. Pingback: The Breton Top | Did You Make That?

36. Pingback: VOGUE 1247 from head to toe | Sew Busy Lizzy

37. Pingback: Vogue 1247 | Jane's Sew & Tell

38. Marianne says:

I love both the skirt and the blouse and seeing your beatiful longer skirt has made me think that I might just make myself one, even longer than yours!