The Monkey Mitts

Some of you may have seen my recent plea on Twitter. I need an easy knitting project – help! In the end, I stumbled upon this free knitting pattern on the Internet. It was only as I was halfway through a mitten that I realised I’ve used this pattern at least three times before, cut out of a weekend supplement years ago.

So, the details. First off, the wool recommended by the pattern isn’t produced any more. That doesn’t matter. Any Aran weight wool will do. If you don’t know what Aran weight is, ask a member of staff in the shop. Or if you’re buying online, look out for suppliers such as Loop or Deramore where they’ll give you the option of choosing wool by weight.

The pattern suggests investing in two 50g balls of wool. For these tiny things? I used about 47g of wool, so I’d advise buying just the one 50g ball of wool. I used up scraps of Malabrigo Worsted that I had lying around from previous projects. I love this merino wool. Love, love, love. It’s soooo soft and it retains shape really well – which is important when knitting cosy mitts. You don’t want them to turn baggy after one wear.

Fingerless mittens are perfect for this time of year. It’s not so cold that you need all your digits muffled, yet it’s nice to have something to guard your hands from Autumnal chapping. I also find fingerless mittens perfect for fighting ferocious air con in the office.

It took me an evening to knit each mitten. I know from past experience that I always immediately forget which is the left and which is the right mitten. So, this time, I knotted a scrap of red wool in the seam of my right hand mitten. Now, I’ll always know!

I loved working with stripes. Now, I REALLY want to knit a striped Breton-style jumper. Any knitting patterns you can recommend, let me know!

Do you fancy making a pair of Monkey Mitts? To go with your Sensational Snood, maybe?

This entry was posted in knitting, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to The Monkey Mitts

1. punkmik says:

these are very cute! love your pictures too! :D do you think they are a beginner project for knitting? I used to be able to do basic knitting but that was over 10 years ago!

2. Joanne says:

Oh I LOVE your mittens! I wish I remembered how to knit! A good friend of mine has agreed to make me this beautiful cardigan – no idea whether the pattern is easy or hard but check it out http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/pattern130-sallycardigan.pdf

3. Marie says:

Oh Karen, how bloody cute are these!?! As for knitting a Breton jumper…what a genius idea! There’s a lovely pattern in Knitting Vintage (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knitting-Vintage-Claire-Montgomerie/dp/1847327346/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1348832423&sr=8-27) which I happen to have. Happy to photocopy it for you and/or send you some photos of said pattern?

4. Dilly says:

These are great! I’ve been looking for a pattern for mitts for a while and this looks great – especially as it doesn’t require double pointed needles… But can I justify starting something else when I’m already halfway through a lace-knit cardie for me and a cable-knit scarf for my sister!

5. Miriana says:

Breton jumper = small stripes in the round or endless seaming, neither of which I find massively appealling. Not to mention my loathing of trying to carrying differrent colour yarn when knitting in the round (as I draw the line at weaving in hundreds of ends). However, this looks cute

And if you’re going to the stripes in the round route, check this out (if you don’t know jogless stripes already). The whole TECHKnitting website is unbelievably amazing – up there with Ravelry in the ‘top knitting websites).

6. KristenMakes says:

Oooh, lovely! Great colour choice! I love small fun projects like that.

7. lisa g says:

these are adorable! i really ned to learn how to knit…

8. Sam says:

Lovely! Gorgeous colour combination. I’ve never used Malabrigo yarn, but I’ve heard how gorgeously soft it is. Maybe it’s time I treated myself to some!

9. They’re super cute! Now I feel like tackling a small and fun project like that!

10. I love the look of your mitts and identify well with the difficulty you might have in telling left from right. If you don’t mind knitting in the round (my preferred option, I must say) then these “Handed Yes, Fingered No, Mitts that Fit” from Twinset Ellen http://twinset.us/?page_id=1121 are very easy and fairly quick (I can knock off a pair on a weekend if I don’t do much else but knit; and I am not a fast knitter) and the gusset increases help to indicate which mitt belongs to which hand. I’ve knitted six or seven pairs and I can’t recommend the pattern highly enough. The results are colourful and warm. Mind you, there’s nothing wrong with knitting flat and sewing up, it just strikes me as extra work in a small project.

11. Ginny says:

What a coincidence- I just bought a bag of royal blue angora-effect yarn this afternoon that I plan to make into a Breton-style jumper. This is the one from Knitting Vintage that Marie mentioned:

I’m tempted to use this one myself, but size it down a bit for a more fitted result. The yarn I have is DK rather than the aran it calls for, so that should do it.

12. LLADYBIRD says:

Those are so sweet! I want to knit me up some fingerless mitts, and I have grand ideas of learning intarsia and putting some kind of little picture on the top of them. We will see if that actually ever happens, though haha

13. Karen says:

Well, I’m currently taking knitting lessons – and these mitts look like they might be something I could manage maybe sometime soon. Maybe. Thanks for the inspiration!!

14. Cute mittens, is it really cool enough to wear those? (by the way we are having an extended summer with 100º F forecast for this weekend – endless summer, I wish :)

15. Andrea says:

These look great, and what a fabulous way to use up all those bits of leftover yarn (I too, love Malabrigo). Veera Valimaki has a pattern for a striped sweater that is not quite “Breton” but it looks very comfy. Here’s the Ravelry link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/gathering-stripes—adult-version

16. Thanks for all the jumper recommendations, guys!

17. Taja says:

Love those mitts!

We aren’t even close to our very limited winter weather yet–forecast is 100 degrees (37C) on Sunday. We’ve cooled off into the mid-nineties for a few days this week and are thoroughly enjoying it! :D

Taja

18. Carolyn says:

So cute! I love the colours,and the stripes :) And marking one mitten; a “man, why didn’t I ever think of that before?” moment occurred. Thank you for the inspiration!

19. redsilvia says:

Cute mitts! Nice work using up those odds and ends for a pretty purpose.

I love stripes and have two pullovers faved: Shellseeker and Fortune Bay. Both are knit in the round so the ends won’t be such a massive chore to weave in. I will make one of these as soon as I finish my current sweater project…

20. I’ve actually knit the Veera Välimäki striped sweater. V. Nice, no seaming, easy peasy. Curious? Find it here http://prosessineuloja.blogspot.fi/2012/04/ankkurinappi.html

I named it the anchor buttons sweater as the choors and the stripes recall nautical sweaters.

21. velosewer says:

How cool. The wool makes them look great too.

22. Katie says:

There’s a really nice Breton jumper pattern in the new Brooklyn Tweed collection: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/breton-2
    I’ve not made this one, but have made some of their other patterns and they’re really well written and easy to follow.
    Great mitts!