Geocentric Laptop Case

So, I made myself a laptop case! This is totally thanks to readers, Kathryn and Miriana, who suggested I follow the Sew Mama Sew tutorial.

What an awesome tutorial it is. The reader is gently encouraged to check dimensions, and double check key steps before proceeding – without being made to feel like a total fool.

Long-term readers will know that my relationship with numbers is heinously bad. (Just don’t ask me to fill out an expenses form!) So working out the dimensions for this was scary. Yet, somehow I pulled it off. I know – can you believe it? My laptop actually fits inside its new case. This feels like progress, people.

The main fabric and flannel lining are both from The Village Haberdashery – a truly awesome site. I was worried about the Flock In The Sky Nursery Flannel lining being too twee for a woman of my  years, but it’s gorgeous and snugly soft for my laptop. I just wish I’d thought my cutting out a bit better, so that the wee birdies don’t sit side on. But, hey – I’m not gonna lose any sleep over it!

I was inspired to buy the main fabric – Geocentric Circles In Turquoise – after seeing Handmade Jane’s bag, made with a gift from Annie of The Village Haberdashery. May I take this moment to big up The Village Haberdashery’s engagement with the blogging community? Yes, Annie is running a business, and yes, her contact with us has been to drive business. But she has been charming, sincere, proactive and imaginative. She has a genuine passion for her product and blogging, and an online business to be admired. I wish more retailers could follow her example.

I bought half a metre of each fabric, plus a packet of fusible fleece. Along with postage, my make came to £22.75. This felt much better than spending £35 on the ugly black case I’d seen in Heathrow airport!

I absolutely love my new case. My laptop is snug as a bug in a rug, and can travel safely with me now. Plus, there’s enough fabric left over to sew something else – another little make-up bag? Hmmmm. A girl can never have too many self-sewn make-up bags…

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Geocentric Laptop Case

1. Fabulously stylish!! I like the coziness of it with the flannel lining…and I can imagine it, at airport security sitting proud on top of the tray as it gets passed through the X-ray machine!! Gorgeous!

2. Pella says:

Nice! With the added bonus that it doesn’t scream ‘laptop, please steal’

3. Pendle Stitches says:

Beats the black hands down. Very chic indeed.

4. Kathrin says:

I love the colors, and the fabrics look great together. Makes me want to make one myself.

5. That looks like a wonderful way to keep your laptop safe.

6. Sooooo chic and stylish, I love that fabric and the flannel birds inside are a lovely surprise! Thanks for the link to what looks like an excellent tutorial. I tried to make an iPad cover this week and used a rubbish tutorial. I’ve unpicked it all and was on the verge of making up my own method when I saw this post – perfect timing! x

7. Jamie says:

I love it!!! As for the nursery flannel, it’s perfect. One advantage of getting older is that it becomes easier to focus more on what you like and less on what other people think…I’m going to have to start checking out the baby fabrics myself. :)

8. gmariesews says:

I think it’s lovely and why are we all so concerned with whether it’s ‘twee’ or not? It’s the inside and it makes you smile – sometimes that very important in life. Enjoy it. g

9. Miriana says:

Your laptop case looks lovely, and I’m glad you liked the tutorial :-)

10. I think it’s so lovely to make something functional also be something beautiful! Well done you.
    And I love the birds! (I have frog fabric I love, but haven’t yet dared use for myself…!)

11. sew2pro says:

And can I add that I think your necklace is just fab. I’d steal that sooner than a laptop (not that I make a habit of stealing but you know what I mean).

12. gingermakes says:

How cute! Love this case!

13. Pin Queen says:

Love it! Thanks for sharing the links. Have you tried any of the Craftsy on line classes? I’ve just picked up the overlocker class and it has a lovely pattern for a wash bag that could be adapted for make up, knitting kneedles etc. I’ve just ordered a load of fat q’s from fancy moon to make Xmas presents for my friends at work.

14. Tamsin W-P says:

That’s a fab case Karen! I love both the fabrics!

15. poppykettle says:

What a tops idea… it was only the other day I was in a shop baulking at the cost of a laptop case. Thanks for the link – I’m off to check it out!

16. Simona says:

Love! Love Love! I cann’t express how much I like your case! Looks great! You’ve done a pretty good job considering you and numbers don’t really like each other! Or I susspect it is the number’s fault for not living you.
    Ohhh! And your necklace is really nice! I like it too!

17. ZoSews says:

This looks great! So much better than anything you can buy – and it looks great against your red top :o)

18. punkmik says:

i love this so much! that fabric is one of my current favourites! fusible fleece!? never heard of it ! thanks!

19. Pingback: Ally Pally Knitting and Stitching Show | Did You Make That?