A Mini Too Mini For Me

So, this is my Breton top – with a spot of variation. I love Sew U Home Stretch! The book has you take basic blocks and just adapt them. The neckline became square, the main sections were lengthened and slightly flared, sleeves became adjusted to elbow length. Trace it all out on your fabric – bish, bash, bosh. Done! These adjustments take five minutes. All you need to do is pick out a fabric to work with.

This is some jersey I bought four months ago in Paris for a few Euros. I’m really glad to see it being used, as it took up a lot of room in my stash. And, look! A successful make with a knit fabric. Get me!

I LOVE the square neckline – I think it’s really flattering to my face shape. I don’t wear small necklines well. The pattern has pockets, though you’d struggle to spot them with this print…

One amusing side note. This pattern is listed in the book as a mini dress – and I didn’t shorten it as much as the instructions called for! Well, if I was sixteen years old and out on the lash with my mates, I might consider wearing this as a mini dress – but I’m not and I shan’t.

I would love to see this in a ponti knit with contrast patch pockets – how Sixties would that vibe be?

A couple of notes for other users. Both times I have ended up seriously taking the sleeves in – by about three inches at each seam. If you’re going to attempt this square neckline and you’re using a solid colour, you’ll really want to be sure of your work. It’s ickle bit tricky. And if I had my time again, I might bring the neckline in a tiny bit – but not too much. I do like the space it gives my visage.

I’m gonna say it. Sew U Home Stretch has been worth every penny so far.

28 Responses to A Mini Too Mini For Me

1. MrsC says:

Love it. :) And yup, there’s Minis and there’s Microscopics!

2. Stevie says:

That looks lovely Karen! I have the book but I’ve never really sat down to muck about with it. I think I might have to have a go now! I have a lot of jersey to use up in my stash,

3. I love that book, and I saw it on sale for cheap at ‘the works’ the other day, I considered buying it again just so I could have another copy of the patterns

4. i was just going to say that the works have it for £6 at the moment! definitely worth that as it’s less than the cost of one pattern. it does come down heavily on the side of having a serger tho which is not an option for me that the moment, so i’ll be battling on with what i have!

5. sewbusylizzy says:

Love the neckline and love the necklace! Lovely!

6. Melizza says:

This will totally become a go-to top. The neckline really is flattering and it has such a lovely drape.
    And you know what, I can totally see women wearing it as dress. In fact, I have seen many women wear tops that short as dresses. Aye yai yai.

7. prttynpnk says:

Really cute…and you can bend over in it!

8. liza jane says:

Very nice! I want one. I love the length as a tunic, but yikes- not as a dress!

9. Sam says:

I love this! The square neckline looks fab, and is indeed very flattering on you. I must look out for this book.

10. Great top Karen. I have the same book, keep flicking through it on the weekends :). Did you need to do anything special to stabilize the neckline at the corners at all please? Also do you mainly use your overlocker or your normal machine for constructions (just bein’ nosey is all LOL!) please?

• There’s a facing on the neckline, no particular stabilisation of the corners. I’d say 50/50 overlocker and machine – overlocker for side seams and sleeve insertion.

• Ah – I can see how a facing would add some natural body & stabilisation to a squared neckline – nice idea. Plus, overlocked sleeve insertion – I am envious, I’ve only mastered straight lines so far on my overlocker (can only do curves if I straight stitch them first haha) :)

11. Elizabeth says:

Great top, so flattering on you. Love the print too.

12. gingermakes says:

I love this on you! You’re right– you look great in this neckline! It really draws attention to your face. Super cute!

13. Janice says:

Super cute! I love the pockets.

14. Kerry says:

Great tunic, it really suits you. That book sounds like an excellent buy too.

15. Jo Batey says:

I made this ‘dress’. It was the first knit thing I made and I made a real bodge job of it (I used some weirdo really heavy fabric)! However, I will make it again in a more appropriate fabric because i really like the style. I left the sleeves as the plan was to wear it as a layering piece, which works if you can ignore the really bad sewing! I like the baby doll style dress as well – must try soon.
    Thanks for the nudge to do this again.

16. oonaballoona says:

ooh, don’t you love it when you find the perfect neckline?! it’s perfect on you. now pull those thigh highs out from the back of the closet and let’s have some action shots…

17. A knit you enjoyed making?! Hurrah!!
    And needless to say it looks fabulous (I know you know it! ;))

18. Roobeedoo says:

Oh my – that really WOULD be mini!
    It’s fab and you know it – that’s brilliant! Yay – Karen is coming round to knits! :D
    So I need that book…

19. symondezyn says:

I can’t believe that was meant to be a dress… even if i was a tweenie and young enough to wear it, my mum would never have let me out of the house in something so short! LOL

20. Diane says:

That’s lovely, Karen, but I don’t think I’d ever have thought that was a dress, even when I was young and had thighs that didn’t meet in the middle! Have jumped on the bandwagon and ordered the book from The Works as I want to sew some every day clothes as well as flouncy flummery.

21. Swoon! Youve got the Sew U Home Stretch fever! Love it. I am so glad you find these patterns as accessible & fun to make / alter as me. But yes. I would never wear anything *that* short as a dress!!

22. macstabby says:

Adorable! I love the whole thing- square neck, sleeve length, the print. Seriously considering buying that book now, which is a bit of a dilemma as I’m moving in a few months and MORE BOOKS = MORE HEAVY. Gah! Drat you and your cute makes that get me feeling spendy!