Crochet Is Interfering With My Sense Of Who I Am!

P1030423

I know myself. I understand how I operate. Start a project, finish a project. Start a project, finish a project. Repeat. I’m not one of those people who has multiple makes on the go, swivelling on the spot, frozen like a deer in the headlights.

So what the heck is going on my with my crocheted granny blanket, started 13 months ago with the launch of the Crochaliser?! Completed granny blankets are popping up all over the place! Stitch and Witter completed a beautiful (and massive) baby blanket in the most beautiful colours. According To Matt has just finished his second vibrant woolly joy. It only took him six weeks! Where is mine?

P1030425

This just isn’t good enough. I’ve hit a massive block. At some point, the granny blanket became my travel project. I crocheted on the tube, on planes, trains, buses, in cafes and hotel rooms – but not at home. Never at home. Problem is, life changes. I had to do loads of reading for work, which meant my commute became reading time, not crochet time. Then I got Ella. When I’m not with the puppy, I now commute via cycle as my running has ground to a halt. (Though I am doing shed loads of walking and my Fitbit stats are through the roof! Here’s a painful truth: I’m getting a lot more exercise walking than when I kidded myself I was still running.)

But, of course, these are all just excuses. I’ve taken my eye off the ball. I’m at a slightly tedious administrative section of the make, crocheting borders on all the squares and crocheting them together. Yawn. I really want to start crocheting the yummy border, but I can’t do that until I get past this hurdle.

There’s nothing else for it. I’m going to have to put my nose to the grindstone. Particularly because I’ve promised someone a crocheted ripple baby blanket for March. Gulp.

Any tips for getting past that slightly boring stage in a make? Maybe it’s time to adapt Tilly’s Sewing For 15 minutes scheme to crochet?

P1030416

This entry was posted in crochet, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Crochet Is Interfering With My Sense Of Who I Am!

1. Joanne says:

Oh love I feel your pain on the borders and putting it altogether! I can only suggest you do a first row of squares. Seeing them all teamed up together does provide a boost – honestly!

2. Jenny says:

I struggle the same way. I finished a blanket as a Christmas present on the 30th December. Fail! But I was still impressed with the end result as was my sister. I too find trains etc a great place to crochet. One tip, find an audio book or pod cast and use the listening time to crochet. I listen to ‘This American Life’ on-line and make loads of blanket progres.

3. happyhermit says:

I can’t help with crochet all though i do think the 15 minute trick is a good one! I want to know more about your fitbit! Would you recommend it? which sort do you have? please tell us more!

4. just giggling my head off at the crochaliser. what did they do with all those milk bottle tops? surely no one pays for them?

i am knitting at the moment (Kate Davies Deco cardigan) and am really finding that i don’t have time for sewing (but i’m going to try and planning to do steph’s Tiramisu Sewalong in 30 mins a day). so i’ll be trying the short blocks idea but in reverse of you. who knows, it might work! i had great plans for taking my knitting on the train to work, which seemed really easy when the knitting was tiny but it’s all in one piece and now that i’m half way down the first sleeve, it’s a bit unwieldy to carry around with me!

5. JacqC says:

I love crochet but loathe the sewing in ends and joining together stage – you totally have my sympathy. On the plus side, if your next project is a ripple blanket you won’t have the joining to do. I’ve learnt the hard way to sew in ends as I go – otherwise it’s a demoralising hold up when finishing a project. I totally recommend the 15 minutes approach – it doesn’t work for my sewing (I like to get my head down and work for a chunk of time) but for finishing a crochet project it really helps. Good luck :)
    PS – I find a glass of wine helps!

• Sam says:

Just to add to Jacq’s comment, if you’re doing crochet stripes as in a ripple blanket, you can crochet over the cast off end of the old colour and cast on end of the new colour and hide them in your stitches – no sewing in of ends at all!

6. LinB says:

Just bear down and do it is the only advice I can offer you. As stated several times above, doing the boring bits while listening to edifying books or television or radio can make the time spent more bearable. It’s sort of like hemming and sewing on hooks-and-eyes: tedious and awful but extremely necessary. You’ll feel so virtuous when you’ve finally finished!

7. Noooooo that’s exactly the reason I was explaining to Mel the other day why I would never crochet a granny square blanket. That’s like seaming a sweater times eleventy billion. I have no advice, other than maybe treat yourself to something swell if you can bang it out in X period of time?

The ripple blanket however should be much more fun. I’ve been toying with making one for our c-c-c-old living room!

8. lemur178 says:

And that is why I neither knit nor crochet. Sewing, I start and can’t wait to get to the end of the project. I’ll go in the zone with no respite until I’m done. Whenever I’ve tried to knit or crochet though, I’ve hit that same wall you speak of and I give up. It once took me over two years to knit a jumper for myself, and by the end of it, it looked exactly how it was supposed to but I was so sick of it I gave it to my Mum. I simply don’t get the pleasure in the process.

OK, so I guess that’s not a particularly helpful comment, but just so you know, you’re not alone!

9. Well that’s a blog title that sure grabbed my attention! I love to crochet, love the process of it, love the repetitiveness of it, I find it very soothing. But when it comes to the final push of getting a project finished, particularly assembling and sewing in ends, I find VERY TEDIOUS (I oddly don’t particularly enjoy starting a project either). There’s nothing for it really than grinding your teeth and getting on with it, odd thing to say for a hobby! 15 mins a day may not be a bad idea. Just before bed? (if your eyes will put up with poor light, oh boy I feel glasses are a’comin). Try concentrate on the end goal and the mega satisfaction of the completed project (I missed whether the blanket is for you, if so you’ll get the added benefit of the use of the thing). Your post reminds me why this year I’m not planning on any blanket making. Except my sister in law has recently announced she is due this year, with twins, and as she has admired my daughter’s blankets so often, I may not be able to stick to that!

10. LLADYBIRD says:

I have the same problem with not wanting to knit while I’m home – knitting is my portable project, I should save all my spare home time for sewing! But sometimes I feel like knitting, not sewing. It was difficult to pull myself out of that mindset (when I get a mindset going, NOTHING can stop me haha), but I started bribing myself. TV time is knit time now :) The only problem with that is, well, now I’m way too interested in watching TV haha :)

11. It is something I struggle with too. It’s like mending. A button popped off my dressy coat mid December when I kneeled on the coat and reached. With the holidays being casual at work, I wore my more fun coat thinking I’d get that button back on before having to dress for work today. Guess when I did it? While I was wearing it 2 minutes before I went out the door.
    You may find that once you start you’re okay because you see how close you are to being done, it’s just about starting. The 15 minute increments may do that for you to get the ball rolling. Could you bribe yourself with a movie you want to see at home? Do it while watching that?

12. CGCouture says:

I think the 15 minutes a day would be a great way to get motivated to finish, and once you get a decent start going, you might find you’ve overcome your block. :-) So, can you tell me more about this fitbit thing? I’m curious. I’m off to see what it even is…I’m guessing a pedometer?

13. Shari says:

Your blanket squares look so colorful and cheerful, perhaps think of how cozy it will be to wrap up in them :) When I’m sewing, I can’t wait to wear something new! I find that tedious tasks do well with a little distraction to make the time go faster, such a a good movie, great music or good company, so your mind has something else to focus on. Then before you know it, you’ve made progress. The 15 minute plan is also useful, because it really is amazing how much can get done in 15 minutes. Just one 15 minute period may inspire you when you see how much was accomplished or you could make a lengthwise crochaliser!

14. I am just like you and have little projects all over the place! which I guess is good cos if I get board I switch to something else! x

15. Pella says:

Well, you’ve done pretty well to get this far. My own forays into knit/crochet usually stray off into a tangent of experimentation half way through, so I totally relate to the lack of enthusiasm for the boring stuff. Joanne’s tip of aiming for a row seems like a good one – just one row. No pressure to make it a long row.

16. Simple – pub meet up including experienced crochetists – sometimes it takes a village! ;-)

17. sewbusylizzy says:

When I hit a roadblock like this I ‘make’ myself do a certain amount a day. Not 15 minutes but when I knit I ‘must knit xx rows’ a day. I find I can the see how I am going to finish it as it becomes staged. Then I seem to get inspired to knit double what I commanded myself. This is easier to do with knitting, patchwork or crochet due to the row/block nature of the project.

18. alibobs says:

As one of those people who has just finished a double bed sized blanket I totally understand the mid-blanket drop in enthusiasm! I agree with joanne that once you’ve got enough sewn together then you will be able to visualise the end. I had a crochet-lull in the spring but once I had sewn enough together to cover my lap I got back in the crochet groove. Keep going, it will be worth it in the end (typing this while snuggled under 12 months of cozy crochet :-) )

19. Susan says:

I have the same issue which is why I have a sack of yarn hiding in my sewing room that was purchased for some Vanna White granny square afghan I was tempted by on the Lion Brand site. You’ve gotten this far, though…you might as well finish. Maybe once a few rows are assembled you’ll be more motivated? Good luck!

20. Louise says:

I’ve found myself crocheting a bit over December, especially when watching TV but this has also meant it changes what I watch, i.e. I’ve got the whole of the latest Killing series to watch but I can’t crochet and read subtitles at the same time! And now Borgen (loved the first series!!!) has started again, I’ve watched the first one but feel a bit bereft at not having something in my hands at the same time. I think Crafting + TV = Mindless Rubbish, tough choice to make some days….

21. Don’t ask me. I started my blanket in 2009 and it’s only about half finished!

22. Helen says:

No tips, but you’re not alone. I’ve nearly finished all my granny squares, but before I start joining it all together I first have to redo some of the ones where my tension was a bit tight. Well, very tight. I am not looking forward to that!

23. Danielle says:

I know EXACTLY how you feel! At my work, there is a group of people who make squares for baby blankets when someone in the office is expecting a baby and whoever takes the lead puts it altogether. This time, I took the lead (the expecting person was my manager) and now I’m at the step of crocheting edges in order to sew it altogether. This is my first attempt in crochet and while it’s not difficult, it’s exactly as you say “adminstrative”. So I should have had this finished before Christmas, and it’s still not done. But I still have time before she comes back to work. (though she’s planning a visit in a couple of weeks… I guess I should have it done by then…) OH and all the squares came out in a variety of sizes so it’s a little patch-work-like.

24. Sharyn says:

I have been a lurker on your blog for a while, but I had to comment on this post. After being a sewer for many years, I’m a recent convert to Crochet. I love it! There is something very meditative about it. I have been making endless granny squares whilst I commute to work on the train (enough now for a double blanket), but the time came to do something with them. I have discovered I do NOT love sewing them together or darning those ends in… Blech!! But over Christmas I made myself spend hours doing just that. It was painful, it was tedious but I persisted and now I have the loveliest blanket for our bed.
    Here’s a pic of the pile of ends I darned in and shortened….

Endless ends

and that pic doesn’t even really look as big as the pile was!!
    Keep going, it will be worth it in the end :)

• LinB says:

Y’all could always resort to the trick of making your afghan/blanket one huge granny square (or rectangle). You get much the same effect, without having to seam anything.

25. I feel your pain. I usually loose passion about 3/4 through a blanket and then I use the 15 min method to get through it, because if I start another project I won’t ever get back and soon the place looks as if it’s been taken over by yarn. A granny square (pot holder, row for blanket, insert anything really) a day keeps the yarn stash at bay :-)

26. I endorse the 15 minutes at a time approach. And join as you go? Can you do that at this stage or would you prefer not to? (I’d probably do that. Anything to make life easier.) I’m pleased to hear that walking is providing such benefits for you. (I’m always trying to convince my husband that he needs to mix his exercise formats for best results but he insists, in the face of much evidence, that walking is a waste of his time. Huh.)

27. Lizzie says:

I don’t crochet, but imagine joining all the squares to be daunting. Can you join them as you go and then you could really see your progress? Or set one square a day as a goal?

28. Anne-Marie says:

For me, it would work if I set aside a good chunk of time and told myself I’d to finish so much that day. I don’t think that a 15-minute session would help me, but try it, maybe it’s just what you need to get going again. And keep the end result in mind as your motivation.

29. Lorna says:

Pub, pub, pub! Get a gang of friends together, a few glasses of wine and crochet like a madwoman. It’ll be done before you know it. If you fancy a trip to the Scottish Borders I’ll join you! Like you, I usually finish a project before I move on, but I’m stuck on two crochet projects – a giant shawl in mouse grey Kidsilk Haze (which is starting to look alarmingly like a giant merkin – never again!) and a garland, of all things…

30. Irina says:

That happens to me sometimes (with sewing projects). I’ll start a project but then another colourful fabric will get my attention off the current one. So, I’ll switch and start a new project and then realize that I didn’t really like the previous one all that much. But if my perfectionist genes scream “finish it!” I’ll make myself do it. So the method that works for me is sitting down in front of a (stand up) comedy show or some humorous program or anything that grabs your attention, so that you wouldn’t want to get up and do anything else, and slowly but surely complete your project.

31. Pingback: True Confessions – What Colour Scheme? | Did You Make That?

32. Pingback: Top 5 of 2013 | Did You Make That?