True Confessions – What Colour Scheme?

Crochet

A massive thank you to all the readers who sympathised with my blog post bemoaning my lack of progress on a crocheted granny blanket. Even more thanks to those of you who very sensibly suggested piecing a few squares together, to get the juices flowing again.

Look! It’s totally worked! Isn’t it mega yummy?

BUT I am not scheming the colour at all. Well, a little bit. At random. On whim. As long as two squares the same colour aren’t side by side, I don’t really care. I’m trying hard not to think about how limited my options may become as I get deeper into the piecing together. It will all be fine, it will all be fine…

Better people than me would have drawn up diagrams or organised spreadsheets, logging squares and colours. They’d make the process scientific. Not me. I’m flying by the seat of my pants. My granny pants…

THAT IS THE END OF THIS BLOG POST.

Hold on, what’s that cacophony?! The screams, the wails… You want to know which was the 15mm fold from Tuesday’s post? Oh, go on, then. Ready? If you picked number two, you were correct! If you picked number four, you were on the right track – that was 17mm, a mere 2mm difference. If you picked number one, that was 10mm, and if you picked number three – I think that was 20mm. Thanks for joining in the fun!

This entry was posted in crochet. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to True Confessions – What Colour Scheme?

1. You post of Tuesday stayed with me. While hemming a top today I stitched the first fold line (unheard of !) and then used my measuring tape for the second. It’s my most even (and therefore best) hem to date. Somethings are worth taking time over. Thanks for putting this eyeballing thing to front of mind. Your granny blanket is looking oh so fab!

2. Jo says:

Oh thank you – small victories are such a good way to start the day! I shall henceforth be merrily and recklessly eyeballing all hems all the time!

3. MrsAlex says:

Yahoo, my slightly smug smile will warm me through this very snowy and cold morning ….

4. loving that granny gorgeousness.

5. It’s gorgeous, well done! x

6. Ella says:

Remember I picked option 2. I’m right, always right (ask my husband….) lol
    And I say your squares look super pretty, they made my grey, snowy morning so much brighter.
    Science is totally overrated!

7. Jenny says:

The blanket is coming along beautifully! Yay I picked #2 also!

8. Shari says:

Yay on the granny blanket progress! I totally agree with your on a whim color matching, though I imagine the last fourth you may need to be more careful, as you already know. It’s looking lovely!

9. Michelle says:

I would have taken the time and did a diagram, hated it. Started over and made a new diagram. Decided that I need more color. Re-diagramed it, still hate it. Remove the extra color I spent so much time creating, re-diagramed it. Then box everything up and never finish it. :P

10. LinB says:

Unless you enjoy mapping out graphs and searching out crayons/markers/colored pencils and filling in the squares (or doing it on computer), then I say random piecing is the way to go! In quilt design, there are two schools of thought: the “German” way, where you plan everything to the nth degree and then pursue fabrics and thread to exactly match your scheme; and the “Irish” way, where you take what you have and surprise yourself with the result. I tend to be more celtic in my approach to life.

11. EJ says:

I’ll be keeping that tape measure to hand then… I was out by 5mm!

12. Yay…not often I’m wrong but I’m right again *tongue stuck firmly in cheek*.
    I’ve been pin fitting a pattern today and measure all the seam allowances. It’s no wonder the weather is changing!

13. The blanket is looking beautiful! I made a start on a bunch of squares just after the Summer and it was all coming along nicely… until I came back after the New Year to discover a family of moths playing house in my crochet basket :( now each square I complete is immediately shunned to the freezer to await further instructions! I. Hate. Moths.

14. Adrienne says:

The blanket is looking good! Keep up the good work Karen!

15. Aha! I was right… That I always overestimate slightly ;)
    2mm out isn’t too bad, but I’m going to try to stitch and fold as a few of your readers suggested…
    And what a lovely snuggly blanket for this chilly weather! And now it’s wide enough that at least one of your legs will be warm while putting it together? :)

16. pat says:

Thanks for allowing me to surprise myself. My math challenged self picked 2. Yay!

17. Yipee I was correct, I just need to learn to crochet now. Love those squares. (don’t tick the box, don’t tick the box)

18. Amy says:

Whatever it takes to get the squares together, then I say it’s worth it. Who needs a color scheme anyway?!

19. Well hey, I consider that a triumph that I was a mere 2mm away from the answer all the way across my computer over here in the US! ;)

And your color scheme sounds perfectly relaxed and a good way to do it. Go, go, go!

20. Yes its just so lovely! Ive only just learnt to crochet so blankets arent going to happen just yet but one day id love to make something like this!

21. Tamsin W-P says:

Yay -I got it right – I had to go back and check what I’d said though! The blanket looks lovely. It is possible to overthink things sometimes,

22. Have you seen this post? http://livinginred.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/simple-pressing-guide/ I think it was a neat idea for a quick guide for the often sewn measurements.
    I am glad to hear there has been progress on the granny squares. Sometimes the first few steps are the hardest, it seems you are on a roll now.

23. jamahistory says:

I really love the colours in your blanket – I would never put so many bright colours together, but it looks amazing! You’ve inspired me to re-learn how to crochet!

24. MariaDenmark says:

I should have read ahead in my reader:-) Well….