I Think It’s Time, Don’t You…?

P1040054

Yes, that is my hand dipping into the Sewlutions Jar, and that’s one person’s bit of paper already scattered on the table. Which two other people will join him/her?

P1040055

Recognise yourself?

All will be revealed very soon. In the meantime, I should really start thinking about my own Sewlution to conquer the blouse – collar, placket, the works. I have one problem. I don’t have a clue what to make! Can any of you recommend a blouse pattern? I’m not good at the classic blouse – too many memories of school uniforms and the luck of working in a creative industry. But I do want to challenge myself with some classic blouse techniques. Nothing too taxing there, then! Seriously, I’d love pattern experts to come up with suggestions. Help me, please!

Then flex your fingers. Very soon we all need to start tap, tapping on our keyboards to ask three special people … how’s your Sewlution going?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to I Think It’s Time, Don’t You…?

1. Adrienne says:

You’re so evil Karen!
    I made this blouse recently and I totally recommend it. It would look nice on you! It might not be challenging enough for your sewlution, though.

2. Nessa says:

My next blouse (about 7th pattern in my queue) is Butterick B5804. It is a simple one so possibly not challenging enough for you. But maybe others might be interested anyway – do ignore the awful envelope styling though!

3. Wendy says:

I’m busy with Vogue 8747 and I really like that it’s not a plain classic shirt. It can work for both casual and work type outfits. I’m dipping in and out ofthe Craftsy Classic Shirt course and am so happy with the collar I have just made, a thing of beauty ( well almost :)) I think this is a great course for collars and plackets and all those touches that make a difference.
    The shirt I have made most often is the StyleArc Sissy blouse (with and without the frill).

4. soisewedthis says:

I’ve already started working on my sewlution ;)

5. Houseofpinheiro says:

Oh, I’m glad my project is in progress but I better start moving it forward soon

6. alison says:

Eeek! This has made me panic! I haven’t sewn any new clothes so far this year (just finishing UFOs) so maybe I need to get sewing this weekend. Unless it is so cold I need to snuggle up with knitting…

7. Morag in Inverness says:

Does a skirt made in January but not yet hemmed and requiring slight alteration count as my January make…..?? (Hope it is someone else…. ;0)

8. Juliet says:

Shoot, I had really get my current resewlutions on the blog then, shouldn’t I??

9. Jenny says:

Can’t wait to see what people have been up to! What type of blouses do you like? Fitted, loose? I have a few I want to make up soon too.

10. redsilvia says:

A few that spring to mind are Burda Style 09-2012-118 asymmetric collar, 11-2012-109 has a bow and cuffs or 03-2012-127 with a collar stand (no collar) cuffs and gathers. There are actually lots of nice blouses on Burda Style, though you may have to look at the line drawings to get past some of the tragic fabrics used. Good luck and have fun!

11. symondezyn says:

I didn’t make it into the jar but my Sewlutions are coming along pretty nicely! I have the majority of my skirt drafted, and just a few more steps before I can make a muslin – I’m so excited! :D

Looking forward to seeing how the lucky chosen ones are doing ;)

Have you seen Sunni’s recent blouse make? (http://www.afashionablestitch.com/2013/sewing/wearable-muslin/)
    She used a Simplicity Amazing Fit pattern, which I have too, and it’s a pretty great versatile basic piece :)

12. I would love to find a pattern, currently in print, for a peasant blouse. Not one that’s off the shoulder, but has the elastic around the neck and short sleeves. Possibly a loose fitting, hemmed bottom. I can find patterns that are out of print, so I’m looking for one that’s available now. http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/782#.URVcjWc47fU Is exactly what I would love to make.

13. lifeaworkinprogress says:

Hi Karen, I have just prepared a post on blouses. Have a look at some of the less usual Vogue patterns – you are welcome to have any of them you’d like to try. Maureen

14. Gail says:

I really enjoyed making the Pussy Bow Blouse by Pattern Runway. It’s got all the features of a “real” blouse: collar with separate stand, cuffs, buttons down the front.

15. KathleenS says:

Like symondezyn I like Simplicity 2339.

16. Molly says:

What about Craftsy’s Sassy Librarian Blouse? That might appeal to the editor-writer in you too? http://www.craftsy.com/class/Sassy-Librarian-Blouse/74 . And the bonus is you get help from the tutor if you get stuck on anything! (Note to self: buy shares in Craftsy).

17. Sunni says:

I do recommend the Simplicity 2339 because GASP! It has cup sizes – Yes!!! Definitely make sure that if you do decide to go for it, the sizing for the different cup sizes is different that one might expect for say your bra size otherwise the pattern is pretty much awesome. I felt like I was getting away with murder because I didn’t have to make hardly any alterations and it comes complete with all those shirt items – collar, collar stand, cuffs, button placket. Only thing its missing is the tower placket which you can find a tutorial for how to do here on Threads:

This pattern is seriously such a win – highly recommend here!

18. I also didn’t make it into the jar, but I’ve just cut out my trouser muslin. I am loving sunni’s fantastic trouser sewing series – really helpful! Thread tracing tomorrow.

19. Marie says:

All I can say is that I hope I’m not one of the three drawn yet ;o)

As for a blouse, I think you know what I’d suggest…The Armistice Folkware blouse I made from my great grandmother’s silk (http://asewingodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/introducingwatch-this-lace.html). It a really beautiful pattern if you’re looking for something smart, but different…and it ticks all your boxes regarding cuffs, collar and so on. If you’re interested, you’re more than welcome to borrow my pattern.

20. Kerry says:

Oh Karen, I hope this power isn’t going to your head…

Can’t help with the blouse, never quite cracked it myself.

21. But we do have a year, right?!

22. Abby says:

Yay! I’m totally on mine. I made pj pants for January, and I’m working on a bra for Feb. Fitting this one is super difficult for me, though, and this month is so much shorter! :)

23. aisling says:

I’ve started tracing off the pattern for my first attempt at firrint about a week. It’s kind of just been occupying the lounge room floof for the last couple of days. I plan to finish tracing off tonight, if for no other reason I have my parents and their dog visiting tomorrow. The dog is the real issue with leaving it on the floor as the dog is a large overnethusiastic young labrador. Plan is to finish the first mockup this week.

24. D says:

I too have decided I ‘need’ more blouses/shirts. So my current technique is to look at net-a-porter, choose a style or model that I cant possible afford, then find a similar pattern / fabric ( stash or buy) and voila.:-) As of today, am the proud owner of a gorgeous Chloe lookalike, and am starting a Erdem inspired spotted number. :-)

25. Tamsinwp says:

I have used Simplicity 2255 which h as different sleeve and body lengths and a button placket, but not sleeve placket. It is still one of the best things I have made .

26. eronoe says:

My blogging isn’t going very well, but the sewing is! I’ve traced the pattern, made a muslin, made some changes, cut the fabric and sewn the pockets \o/ . Next up is the fly and sewing everything together. My concern is the waistband, buttonholes and most of all: the fit..!

I don’t have any tips on the blouse front, I’m more of a jersey top kind of person ;) .

27. Debi says:

I say go for a 1940s vintage blouse!!

28. Karen Lyles says:

I really enjoyed the Craftsy Classic Tailored Shirt class. Pam has a nice sewing Zen she shares and a classic tailored shirt is timeless!

29. My name isn’t in that jar so I did giggle when I saw what you had done. Cruel person!
    Good luck finding a blouse pattern. i like Patrones magazines – they always seem to add a nice detail to their garments and frequently have very nice shirt/blouse designs.

30. Amanda says:

I love Colette’s Jasmine blouse! Here’s a link to my blog post abut it: http://amandasbeautifulthings.blogspot.com/2013/01/new-outfit.html?m=0