You’re Real!

P1040283

When I knew I was coming to New York, I was straight in touch with Oonaballoona. I’ve been semi-stalking her for a good 18 months now. Every time I visited America, I’d let her know. Every time, we’d fail to meet up. Eventually, I wore her down.

When she reminded me that Lladybird was in town the same weekend and that Ginger Makes could be persuaded to come out and play, my cup runneth over. What were the chances that my visit should coincide with a visit to the city from my favourite Tennessee sewing blogger? This was like the sewing gods were forcing us to find a bar!

P1040284

Favourite moments of the evening:

• Oonaballoona ordering a Manhattan and myself ordering a Margarita. Cocktail Compadres!
  • Lladybird sitting next to me so that I could admire her from close up. (Yup, she really is that pretty.)
  • Ginger Makes inviting me to fist pump. It was my first ever fist pump of my entire life!
  • Oonaballoona graciously fielding questions from waitresses and people in the street who recognised her as an actress. Being in New York, witnessing New Yorkers get excited to meet a New York actress? Now, THAT is fun! As a rule, New Yorkers don’t ‘do’ excited – at least, not around me.*

*Though the man at passport control did get a bit animated when he saw I was British, and asked me if I liked cricket! He shook his head when I said no. ‘Only the Queen likes cricket,’ he said sadly.

I was definitely the quiet one at the table. These ladies have personality! If you don’t already know their blogs, I seriously recommend trying them out. You’ll find loads of inspiring sewing. But, of course you already know these ladies’ blogs. I was very flattered that they made the effort to join me on a Sunday – Sunday! – evening, when they’d already had a full-on sewing meet-up the day before.

It’s true what they say about Sewists. They’re some of the best people around. Now, how do we lure these tantalising creatures to London?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to You’re Real!

1. You all have had a great evening! I am sure it is wonderful to meet people ‘in real’ knowing them only from blogs… Have fun in NY!

2. Bec says:

When will you all be coming to Aus ;)

3. Michelle says:

Well I’m not at all tantalising but I am headed to London in Sept or Oct …

Glad You had a great time!!

4. sewbusylizzy says:

Wow lucky you! I’m going to New York next October – the temptation is too great!

5. Jenny says:

It’s like the sewing blog A-listers!! Somebody roll out the red carpet already :)

6. Marie says:

I am soooo jealous!!! Sounds like you had loads of fun and I love the passport man for asking you liked cricket. Haha!

7. Jane says:

Aw that’s wonderful Karen! But what on earth is a fist pump??!! x

8. gillybirds says:

I LOVE that you met up in reality with virtual friends! Makes the world seem a smaller friendlier space!
    On the passport control question, being Irish I usually get asked if I drink Guinness. I don’t.

9. Becky says:

Are we Americans as overwhelming as others say we are? No right or wrong answer, just your perception. I didn’t know Oonaballoona was an actress! How did I miss that? Duh. I would have expected that this much sewing expertise all in one place could have solved some major sewing mystery over drinks – ha!

10. CGCouture says:

Sounds like you had a great time, so jealous!! Enjoy your visit! :-)

11. gingermakes says:

So great meeting you! You may have caught the three chattiest sewing bloggers all together at once– it was a real meeting of the motormouths! Next time we’ll let you do the talking! :)

• oonaballoona says:

seriously! we were nonstop!!! i think we were all just so crazy excited to meet you :)

i was pretty pumped to witness the first fist pump. leave it to ginger to bring the noise, yo.

(and i adore that passport exchange. he sounds so melancholy for cricket!)

12. sallie says:

Looks like such a fun evening!! Always jealous every time I see these sorts of meetups with some of my favorite bloggers!

13. Tamsinwp says:

wow! I am so envious! although I think I would have been totally overwhelmed. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

14. Jenni says:

looks like you all had a fun night, very cool! very jealous :o)

15. puu says:

looks like a lot of fun – and cocktails – were had by all :-)

16. Tracey says:

So cool! Or should I say “SEW COOL!” Lucky you!

17. Maggie says:

Look like so much fun!

18. maddie says:

I was so close to joining you ladies but unfortunately, the Philadelphia Flower Show was in town and I had to cover the event for work. It looks like you ladies had lots of fun (and fist pumps!)

19. Pat says:

I’m green with envy. If some strange woman throws rose petals at your feet that would be my daughter. I told her my sewing idol is in NYC and to look out for you with rose petals in hand. I agree with Jenny – ya’ll are sewing A-listers!

20. Trisha says:

Oh, how fun! How lucky that you all got to meet up and had such a great time! Hooray for sewing buddies!

21. Rosie says:

These three young women are just full of fun and energy. I’m very glad to hear that you had a great time with them.

22. Sew neat to hear that you got to meet your blogthrobs! It seems like it would be so fun to meet the folks you follow in person!

23. Tilly says:

Omigawd omigawd omigawd I’m sooooo jealous!!!! Wow, that would be so cool just to meet one of those lovely ladies but all three at the same time??? Amazing! xx

24. You guys are soooo cute!! What fun! Isn’t Lauren a doll to meet??

I’m actually going to be over in the UK for several days late this spring…but only in London for about 1/2 a day. :-/ But I’m hoping for another trip over in the next year or so that will include some real time there!

25. Ah, marvelous blogging world, the moment I saw that you were in New York, I thought “surely you’re going to meet Oona!!” (yes, there were two exclamation marks in my thought). :)

26. Zoe says:

OMG! I’m sooo jealous you got to meet those awesome ladies! How was your margarita/s? xx

27. Gjeometry says:

Eeeee, looks like a fun trip! Good for you! I attended my very first sewing blogger meetup in Toronto, Canada, just last month, and it was so much fun. I love to put a real live face to the name. See? And people say that stalking is ‘bad’. But, look what it produced! Lol.

28. LLADYBIRD says:

It was so(oops… I mean ~sew~ hha) freaking awesome to meet you and die over how cute your accent is!! I’m still so much in awe that we were in the same city at the same time, like the stars aligned just for us! Glad you got a chance to troll around the Garment District, even if just to take photos (which obviously I didn’t do… like… at all, haha). Isn’t it overwhelmingly amazing?!

I definitely want to try to make it out to the UK; there are so many bloggers I want to meet and I want to lurk your fabric shopping choices :)

29. Pingback: Odds & Ends + Pattern Geekout: Deer & Doe Spring-Summer ’13! | Ginger Makes...

30. Pingback: The Guardian Fashion Bloggers Network – Let’s Do It | Did You Make That?