I’m Teaching How To Make Sewaholic’s Hollyburn Skirt

Hollyburn Skirt

I’m truly excited to share with you the news that next month (22 & 29 April) I’ll be teaching students how to make Sewaholic’s Hollyburn skirt at The Village Haberdashery, class details here. As soon as this pattern was released, I knew it was the perfect vehicle for a class. How fortuitous that Annie of The Village Haberdashery had already asked me if I fancied a spot of teaching!

Of course, I had to make the skirt first so that I could plan my lessons. I used this fabric from The Village Haberdashery. Annie stocks loads of cottons that would be perfect for this skirt! I think we can agree that the Hollyburn is great blank canvas for playing with colour and print. Equally, it could make one of those great wardrobe staples in a neutral solid.

The Hollyburn works really well in light cotton and I would totally recommend a similair fabric to anyone taking the class. ¬†Sewaholic comes good on her promise that the pattern is beginner-friendly. It goes into the type of detail you wouldn’t find in most patterns and Tasia uses a beginner-friendly zip insertion. No invisible zips or button holes here! Yes, you may wipe your brow in relief.

There are pockets to keep the biggest pocket nerd happy. Swoon…

Hollyburn Skirt Pocket Detail

Students will learn all about taking body measurements, simple pattern grading, tracing patterns, construction and finishing techniques, inserting a zip, secret tips on lining waistband seams up, some hand stitching and how to eat cake. Yes, the eating of cake has been scheduled into these classes. Very, very important and the first thing I teach anyone.

So, sign up if you fancy joining me for some fun. Or if you know any young adults, beginners, would-be Sewists or even if you’re more advanced and just fancy a bit of communal sewing with added chinwags, you know where to come!

Chinwags. Almost as important as cake.

Didyoumakethat Hollyburn Skirt

Dates of classes  Monday, 22 April, 6:30 Р9:30 pm and Monday, 29 April, 6:30 Р10:00 pm

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to I’m Teaching How To Make Sewaholic’s Hollyburn Skirt

1. sylkotwist says:

How exciting, I wish I lived in London! I’d love to make another Hollyburn in a summery fabric surrounded by other sewists. And cake, sounds perfect! Yours looks lovely!

2. Becky says:

If I didn’t have to fly across the pond, I would be there! There is that fabric that you showed that I loved so much. Lovely, lovely, skirt.

3. gmariesews says:

Your skirt is stunning! I too would be there for cake and chinwags if I didn’t include a long, long flight. g

4. Elizabeth says:

Wow, that’s fantastic! Break a leg! You’ll be great, I’m sure of it.

5. Michelle says:

I adore the print you used to sew your skirt! I sewed my version in a solid wool, better suited to winter, but I think I’ll have to try something similar to yours for spring… if spring ever decides to show-up.

6. Nessa says:

Sounds like a lot of fun will be had by all your pupils! Look forward to hearing how it goes for you. Wishing you lots of confidence and fabulousness!

7. Tilly says:

Yay, how exciting, Karen! You’ll be such a fab teacher xx

8. Gjeometry says:

Go Karen! Wish I could be there and learn to make this skirt. (I have the Sewaholic Crescent skirt pattern, but have not made it yet, have you tried this one? It also looks nice).

9. Alex in California says:

Pretty. Skiirt is nice too.

10. Zoe says:

Ah so glad to hear you are teaching again! All the best with the class. I’d say good luck but know you totally don’t need it! xx

11. That’s exciting! And I love your version! That fabric is positively the epitome of spring.

12. Lori says:

How fun, your skirt is so cute.

13. Marie says:

Yay Karen, how exciting!!! I hope you’re supplying said cake…the chocolate delight you offered us at your bound buttonhole workshop was…well…delightful!

14. Super cool! That’s a fun pattern to use for a class, suitable for lots of figures but not so hard to fit.

15. Bri says:

Well I hope you have fun teaching this class, I love how your skirt turned out! The fabric is such a beautiful print!

16. Philippa says:

This skirt is so pretty. It looks very neat and I like what you have put it with too. I am rarely in London but wish you lots of fun teaching your class x

17. Bobbi says:

I just wanted to tell you how utterly cool you look in that outfit. I’ll have to check out that pattern because, darn it, I want to be cool, too!

18. Katherine says:

I’ve been a bit of lurker here for a while, but I had to comment on that fabulous fabric – it’s perfect for the Hollyburn skirt! I’m very jealous. And may just have to buy that pattern now. . .

19. sewexhausted says:

Oh I love that fabric- and the skirt is so pretty. SIGH. So many patterns- so little time. But I am thinking this one would be well worth it! Wish I could join you- It is a little far to travel tho… ~Laurie

20. CGCouture says:

Very exciting! You’ll be great! :-) I’m curious though, what are “chinwags”???

21. How much fun would that be?! Have a great time! It’s just a bit too far for me to come – otherwise I’d be there!

22. Louise says:

This sounds amazing! Sadly I’m not too far but I am skint :0/. Maybe I should set up a support-my-fledgling-habit group?!

23. gingermakes says:

Congrats, girl! I know you’ll be a fantastic teacher!

24. Danielle says:

Absolutely love that fabric pattern!! Good luck, I’m sure everyone will love the class ;)

25. Tracey says:

Cute ! Love the fabric!

26. Ptinutz says:

I would have loved to do a class like that… but I think a 28 hours flight is a little bit long just for that… Your skirt look really nice! Do you think it is possible to do it with a 1.5 meter fabric and change the waist band with another fabric?

27. Pingback: Miette Cardigan | Did You Make That?

28. Pingback: Can you sew in a straight line? No? You could probably still make these cushion covers | Strange Notions