Miette Cardigan

Miette Cardigan Didyoumakethat

This is the Miette Cardigan, a free pattern download from Ravelry. Ravelry is Facebook for knitters. It’s invitation only, but pop over and request an invite. If they let me in, they ain’t that fussy!

I started knitting this at Christmas, so it’s taken just over three months. A more serious knitter could knock this out in a couple of weeks. I used Malabrigo Worsted wool bought from Loop. It really is the most gorgeous wool and a relatively quick one to knit as it’s aran weight. That means it isn’t really slender – avoid 4ply/fingering weight if you’re a beginner and want a fast knit! There’s a useful table of wool weights here. Seriously, wool weights still confuse me. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from shop assistants – that’s what they’re there for.

P1040456

So, what do I think to the cardigan? I love it! I really wasn’t convinced, even as I sewed on the last button. But never underestimate the benefits of blocking your finished make. Blocking is one of those knitting techniques that can become shrouded in mystery and expensive equipment. Here are my tips for blocking a knitted make:

• Set your iron to the wool setting and make sure there’s water in the tank for lots of steam.
  • Find a tea towel. A clean one! Soak in water and wring out.
  • Place your make over an ironing board, carefully smoothing out to the dimensions you want.
  • Lay tea towel over your make. HOVER iron over tea towel and move from position to position. Whatever you do, don’t PRESS with the iron. You will flatten your gorgeous 3D knit into a suicidal pancake.
  • Leave for a few moments, then see if you want to do a bit more blocking or start sewing your buttons on. People advise leaving a blocked knit overnight. Yeah, whatever.

Now, please be aware that I have never properly blocked lace knits, which is a whole different game. I believe. Involves wires and pins and the like. Can’t be arsed.

So, as you can see – I don’t take my knitting too seriously! But I definitely can see the benefits of a good block.

Miette Cardigan

If you knit the Miette Cardigan, it’s worth knowing that this baby comes up tiny. I added two inches to the length of the main body and the sleeves. Yep, two inches. I’d advise doing at least the same unless you’re Tiny Tim. And you already know I advise the use of decent circular needles.

I’m wearing my new cardigan with my Hollyburn skirt. I love this skirt. I’m definitely making another one – at least. Well, you know, I am going to be teaching classes in this skirt here. I have organised for two guinea pigs aka local mates to come round to my house for a dry run on teaching this class. I am nothing if not a control freak determined to be uber-prepared!

So, what do you think to the Miette cardigan? Have you made it or would you make it?

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Miette Cardigan

1. The cardi looks great! I wish I had the patience to knit, but I don’t at the moment, so sewing only for me. I wish I could come to your Hollyburn class, just to take a sewing class. That would be so much fun! Happy Easter!

2. Becky says:

I love this cardigan on you! I love this Hollyburn skirt! I love them together! This is a terrific outfit. Can I have it? Can I borrow it? I know, I know, I need to make my own. Seriously, this is lovely.

3. Roobeedoo says:

“a suicidal pancake”?! LOVE IT! So… if you accidentally boil-washed it, would it be a suicidal cupcake (more 3d than flat…?)
    It looks lovely Karen – well done!

4. sgros4 says:

That’s gorgeous, I m dangerous with one crochet needle, much less two knitting needles!
    Lol

5. Portia says:

Gorgeous colour on you! Well done. I could never stick with a knitting project for that long! Kudos!
    Px

6. gingermakes says:

This is so cute! What a great color! I don’t really wear cropped cardigans, but yours (and Gail’s, and Johanna’s, and Lauren’s) are tempting me to try this out!

7. Looks fabulous! I really want to knit this cardigan.

8. ClaireE says:

What a great colour and pattern. I love the whole outfit. Maybe one day I’ll be patient enough to learn how to knit and how to create something this good.

9. Michelle says:

This looks lovely. Great job tackling a sweater! The color is really wonderful.

I’m a complete lover of knitting 4ply sweaters. Just finished two. Hand seamed one. It’s a lot of work but completely worth it once you build your confidence with knitting.

Oh, and I do press my sweaters. Pressing, not ironing is completely acceptable… So teaches Josh Bennett, and he sells his hand knits at Barney’s so I trust his judgment. :-)

10. Ashley0107 says:

Very pretty, I love the colour you chose :) I love this cardigan, it’s been in my favourites on Ravelry for ages.
    I really enjoy blocking lace. Though I’ve stood on stray pins too many times!

11. Jenny says:

Beautiful!! Love the sweater with the Hollyburn Skirt – such a great skirt, isn’t it? I don’t think anyone can have too many of these.
    If I were on your side of the world, I would so take your class ~

12. Kat says:

Looks great Karen! Thanks for the blocking tips, blocking scares me and my dirty secret is that I don’t usually bother…but I know I really should and that it will make for better results! Also, I think I may have mentioned before, but I ADORE this skirt! The fabric is just fabulous :) Good luck with your classes!

13. lauriesannie says:

That is one spectacular sweater!

14. Debbie Cook says:

Gorgeous! The whole outfit is fab … love that print with the cardi. It just POPS.

15. Betty Stitchup says:

Great job Karen, this cardi looks fabulous on you. I’ve had my eye on this pattern for a while now. Do you think this would be do-able for a beginner knitter who has only knitted 2 scarves and wants to take the leap into knitting a cardigan?

16. Andrea says:

Oh, I really like the colour you picked for your Miette, plus it looks great on you. I actually have the same cardigan on my knitting needles right now. Just finished the body two nights ago and also added 2″ in length. I have the feeling that while it fits at the bust, it will not button up below my rib cage but I can’t be bothered to frog it – it will just have to be worn semi open! Yours looks like the perfect fit.

17. Marie says:

The cardigan is beautiful Karen, what a gorgeous colour on you! And it looks perfect with your Hollyburn skirt! I’m so jealous of your local mates who get to be your guinea pigs ;o)

18. IngeMaakt says:

That is one lovely Miette! I’m working on it at the moment, and I just hope that it will turn out just as pretty as yours.

19. Maggie says:

I have this sitting in my queue on Ravelry! I love this version, that color is absolutely gorgeous! Good to know about the added length :)

20. EmSewCrazy says:

Mmm Loving the whole outfit!

21. Sam says:

Gorgeous cardi and gorgeous skirt. I love the colour combination, one of my current favourites!

22. Susan says:

Absolutely gorgeous! So many beautiful versions of this sweater in the blogosphere… Very tempting! (& I for one love Ravelry sooooo much better than Facebook) :D

23. Christine says:

Hi, I liked this so much I just downloaded it to my ravelry page. Will have to wait til I have made my vodka lemonade (such a great name for a knit)
    Christine

24. Rosie says:

Oh Karen – you did it again. You look smashing!

25. susew says:

Miette is on the needles now, but in pause mode- I need to buy a longer 3.5 mm circular for my purl rows (my knitting is much tighter than purling) to progress on the yoke, and muck around with the sizing as my yarn is thinner and very different in the row gauge.

26. Layla says:

Mine is almost done too….just finishing button bands. I started in december too, so you beat me to it! Looks lovely, I’m excited to finish mine.

27. jamahistory says:

I am knitting this exact cardi and in red right now! I can’t finish it quickly enough as I just want to start wearing it! I’m glad it comes up well and it’s easy to add length to the body and sleeves – I’m planning to do the same.

28. lisa g says:

lovely sweater! [note to self: learn how to knit already!!!]

29. maddie says:

You look great! I wish I knitted so that I could give you praise and criticism on your technique but I’m not. So I’ll leave it at – the color is amazing!

30. Oh Karen that is a GREAT combo! Love, love your Miette, and with the Hollyburn… magical!

31. Philippa says:

I am not a knitter Karen but I like it very much.

32. katlane12 says:

This is gorgeous! I have looked at the pattern before but never knit it up. It’s in my queue. I love ravelry! It’s like a free knitting library.

33. I may have to add this to my Ravelry queue, too. (But the question is, would I ever, ever get around to knitting it???) Yours is beautiful and the colour combo of the skirt and cardi is magical. Very cheery on a grey day, so thank you. I rarely block – except if I’m doing something lacy, such as a scarf perhaps, where I venture into the realm of pins and stuff – but almost always press. My pattern books are old. They tell me to press. I’m a very obedient person. Pressing really helps and I suspect it’s really another name for the sort of thing you’ve described as blocking.

34. Darlene says:

I love the sweater and skirt, both are beautiful on their own, but together they are really special.

35. Danielle says:

Lovely!! Looks comfy! (I love Ravelry!)

36. This is a gorgeous cardie! Looks fab with that skirt too. Off to check it out on ravelry. Thanks for the heads up.

37. alisonesther says:

I’ve always been a big fan of the Miette cardigan, but it’s too big for my tiny boobs. I absolutely love your version! Have you seen the Agatha cardigan? I’m making it now and it’s a lot of fun to knit.

38. stgilbert says:

I love your Miette! I’ve knitted a red one, too, and I wear it all the time!

39. Yvonne says:

Lovely sweater! Looks great at the longer body & sleeve length. Wondering if you did the bust darts ? can’t see them on your photos. From the pattern photo the darts seems more like arrows pointing to the bust than subtle shaping.

40. Amanda says:

This looks all kinds of rad! Lovely! I’m new to knitting and this is my next project. I have just bought the wool and am now looking in to where to add the length as it is way too short for me. Great tip of the wider button bands!

41. I love that cardi…I’d love to make it… But I’m hopeless… Still haven’t finished a cowl I started at Christmas… Sewing is my drug

42. Karin says:

A dry run on a couple of friends is a good idea and very professional. Best of luck!
    Cute cardi, too!

43. LLADYBIRD says:

Your Miette turned out beautiful! It’s such a fun little pattern, isn’t it? I’m glad to know it knit up just as well with 100% wool… as much as I love mine, I don’t love how the cotton stretches out over time. Might be time to knit a second one :)

44. Becca says:

It’s really pretty. It looks perfect paired with the skirt. Such a cute outfit! Thanks for the details about using this pattern, as it’s on my to do list.

45. Jo says:

I love the Miette and you are looking great in it! It was my first garment-knitting project, and it took me 3 months too! I love finding my knitting twins, haha :) Ooh I’m going to friend you on Ravelry. It’s such an awesome site. Well done on your fab project! :)

46. it looks so fabulous! I’ve hesitated to make it because I wanted to see it lengthened. you made it perfectly!

47. nettie says:

It’s so beautiful!! You’re so talented, Karen!

48. Law says:

Great cardi, I’ve been debating whether to give this a go, as |I’m still only a beginner knitter but am bored making scarves and hats now and what to give something a bit trickier a go. Would you say that this is fairly straightforward knit?

49. Pingback: Next Project – Lace Circular Cardigan | Whipped-Stitch Witchery

50. Pingback: Miette Cardigan: beginner knitter’s review | Sewing Princess

51. Pingback: My Miette Cardi | make & wear

52. makeandwear says:

After seeing your version of the Miette , I had to make one myself. I think I might even make a secong one :) http://makeandwear.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/my-miette-cardi/