Sewing A Summer Skirt

Colette Patterns Ginger Skirt

I’m going on holiday soon – yippee! But you know how these things creep up on you and you realise you haven’t thought at all about what you’re going to pack? I wanted a nice, cool, breathable summer skirt and knew that some double gauze would be just the ticket. Because double gauze fabric is two fine layers of cotton woven together, it’s almost as though your skirt comes pre-lined. Score! I bought about 1.5 metres of the below from The Village Haberdashery.

Double Gauze Fabric

I used Colette’s Ginger skirt pattern. It’s fairly simple to construct and flattering as heck. I’ve made two previous versions here and here.

Summer Skirt

There’s not much more to say other than – hello, new summer skirt! What are your summer sewing plans?

Ginger Skirt

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Sewing A Summer Skirt

1. Jennie says:

My fella wants some trousers. And then I have some tops to make for myself. I don’t DO skirts. Might do a dress though.

2. Nessa says:

Lovely skirt Karen.
    You know, I think I own 44 skirts (at my last count) and only one of them is Me Made!!!

3. I have SO MANY projects waiting for me, but I’m currently on a sewing break until the 18th of June… That’s when my final illustration project for school is due and I’ll hopefully earn my master’s degree in comics. But after that I have a few summer dresses and some more special occasion outfits planned!

4. I have dresses on the go…and I need skirts and jeans. How much of it I will actually achieve is another thing…

5. that’s such a lovely, summery-looking skirt. My winter sewing plans are just a jumble of ideas with no real form. There are many things I actually should make, but whether any of them will happen, who knows? I will certainly sew another motorcycling toob apiece for my menfolk (tubes of polar fleece worn under helmets but over noses; most important for keeping your face warm as you zoom off to a 5.30 rowing training session in the morning or come home in the chill of the evening from a late tutorial).

6. Nessie says:

Very cute skirt, and love the cardy – did you m.. ….?!!
    I’m currently sewing a summer dress for my toddler girl. Would like to have a go knitting socks. I found the half one I started aaaages ago, but can’t work out where I’m up to. Will start again!

7. ClaireE says:

What a lovely print. My plans are mainly around my 20:20 plan but I’m prioritising dresses and shorts. I’ve made a few skirts but I can see me needing a few more for summer. I love the Ginger pattern – it seems three versions is the magic number!

8. Jenny says:

your blog and your sunny posts (and your sunny skirt!) cheer me up. Thanks!

9. Carolyn says:

Such a pretty skirt! I love how you’ve paired it with the cardigan!

10. flossiejamieson says:

Lovely and summery! Shame the weather doesn’t feel the same … Having just competed my first pattern drafted skirt, I’m about to get some navy floral printed cotton to make a halter maxi dress from my mum’s original 70s stash of Buttericks.

11. Very cute! I love the fabric!

12. Erin says:

Your floral Ginger is so pretty & spring like! Plus that cardigan is the perfect match for it. Right now I’m working on some plaid seersucker Thurlow shorts that I hope turn out. I’m also planning on making a couple dresses and denim skirt at least.

13. Becky says:

Well, if this skirt is any indication, you will have a lovely holiday.

14. Melissa says:

This is adorable. I love the fabric – so summery! My next sewing plan is a skirt for my Mom.

15. Joanne says:

I love your fabric choice! I also recently made this pattern (yet to be blogged) and it is AMAZING how flattering it is. I think I might be a skirt convert.

16. Carolyn says:

OOh, your summer skirt is so divinely pretty! A perfect piece of easy breezy springtime loveliness.

17. EmSewCrazy says:

Love that fabric! Lovely skirt!
    I want to tackle shorts…. at least that’s what’s In The Jar.
    I also have at least one 50′s dress getting made as well!

18. So pretty! Love that fabric. Hope you are going somewhere wonderful and have a great holiday!!

19. Kelly says:

Your fabric is so pretty! I don’t really have specific summer sewing plans, but I do have a few work dresses ready to go in the next few months.

20. Bold Sewist says:

Lovely! And I do hope that is your bike but I fear you are going to disappoint me …

21. Gjeometry says:

Very beautiful skirt! Great fabric. I plan on sewing up a sundress in a silk that I was just gifted. Have never sewn with silk, so quite excited! And, also to make a little shift dress out of a simple cotton. Ah, summer. :)

22. 8B Creative says:

Lovely skirt! Can you buy the Ginger pattern in the UK?

23. Melizza says:

That’s an awesome skirt to take on holiday. It screams sunshine and warm weather. Hope where you’re going has both.

24. Lisette says:

Very pretty! I used to make a lot of skirts but I rarely seem to wear them…I think it is the bother of having to figure out a top to match. I’d rather just make a whole dress at that point!

25. Tracey says:

Such a feminine fabric! Nicely used on the Ginger fabric! Just a beautiful combination!

26. Jen says:

Lovely skirt ! Yes, very flattering, and I need to sew one ! I suppose that is my list of ‘summer sewing’… get reacquainted with my sewing machine.

27. Krista says:

So pretty! Love the fabric. I’m new enough to sewing that I had no idea what double gauze meant, so thanks for the clarification!

28. gingermakes says:

This is so pretty! I’ve never used double gauze or even seen it in real life, but it sounds amazing!

29. Roobeedoo says:

Ooh interesting – I thought double gauze was like voile and would never have bought it to make a skirt – am I missing out I wonder?
    I am planning another skirt today – another linen Chardon – but there is some serious floor-cleaning required before I can cut it out – sigh!

30. I always wondered what double gauze was like to sew with, this is just lovely looking! Very fresh and springy (or summery), too.

I’ve been so busy trying to fill in some wardrobe gaps I haven’t even really thought about summer sewing. But I’m feeling very into folksy prints, so I suspect some colorful skirts and matching tops may be in store!

31. lovelucie1 says:

Lovely skirt, lovely fabric. Just thinking of delving into dressmaking after a break of a couple of decades!

32. zora read says:

You look so summery and elegant. Loveit

33. Pingback: Double Gauze – You NEED This In Your Life | Did You Make That?

34. Nicolle says:

That looks fabulous on you! In fact, all your renditions of the skirt do. Love it!