A Safe Haven Scarf

Haven Scarf

So, what did I make with the Debbie Bliss Riva I bought in Oxford? This! It’s the Haven scarf from Kim Hargreaves’ Heartfelt: The Dark House Collection.

I have a love/hate relationship with knitting compilations such as these. They’re not cheap, but they clearly cost a lot to produce, with excellent photography. That being said, I often find that I knit a couple of projects at most from these books. Then, what? Some have gone on Ebay, some languish in drawers. I’d say Heartfelt is the exception. I’ve knitted four projects and there are other very wearable items I’d still be happy to make. Do you have knitting compilations you’d recommend?

This is my second iteration of the Haven scarf. My first time knitting it was during a trip to New Zealand, five years ago. Often during my latest knitting project, I’d drift back to that holiday. We ended up at a remote lake. I’d sit outside by a wooden bench, a waiter would bring me a glass of wine and I’d sit and knit and knit, occasionally lifting my head to gaze across Lake Wakatipu. Pretty good memories. I swam in this lake!

lake wakatipu, new zealand
The scarf is very simple to make – a 12 row repeat. If you knit the recommended 27 rounds of this 12 row repeat, you’ll end up with a huge Doctor Who length scarf, which can be huge fun to make and wear. I restricted myself to 15 repeats, which was as far as my three balls of wool would take me. Totally wearable.

Haven Scarf ii

Don’t you love the colour ways in this wool? It straddles the range from deep purple to an almost orange-red. Very clever. Some people might claim I have an unreasonable obsession with knitting from this colour way. To which I say, so what? It makes me happy.

Knitting

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing and knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to A Safe Haven Scarf

1. Your scarf looks super snuggly :)
    I love the Kim Hargreaves books – I don’t have Heartfelt but I do have Amber, Precious & Misty. I think most of her designs are timeless, they knit up beautifully and whilst expensive you can’t go far wrong with Rowan yarns. I’d agree with you on other compilations but I come back to my Kim Hargreaves patterns time after time. Having said that I recently bought Rowan Magazine no42. It was for a specific pattern but have been really impressed by the wealth of gorgeous projects – so much so I’m now spoilt for choice. I think I’d consider getting another one in the future :-)

2. Rachel-Lou says:

I generally don’t bother with knitting books, I have two exceptions ‘Little Red in the City’ by Ysolda Teague (and I actually want a couple of her other books as well!) and I have managed to smuggle ‘The Unofficial Harry Potter Knits’ magazine-a-book from across the pond. I without exception love every pattern in these two, sadly life keeps getting in the way of my knitting time.

3. Kerry says:

That’s lovely, beautiful colours and really snuggly.

4. Andrea says:

Lovely scarf in what looks like yummy yarn. I agree with you about compilations, and in particular the Kim Hargreaves ones where you can’t just purchase the one pattern of fifteen that you might like and instead you have to buy the entire book (which is even pricier in Canada!). My one exception to compilations has been Jane Richmond’s “Island” book. It only has five designs and I am merrily knitting my way through all of them with only one more to go. Her upcoming second compilation, Journey, looks to be quite good as well so I may be tempted by it. By the way, I think your obsession with that particular colourway is perfectly natural – it is the best, after all!

5. EmSewCrazy says:

I LOVE this color way! Beautifull scarf too!

6. Sheena says:

I really love Melissa Wehrle’s new book Metropolitan Knits. It’s the first pattern book I’ve ever seen where is almost every pattern is something I would buy from a store. I’ve made the Meir Cardigan and the Washington Square Hat and they both turned out beautifully!

7. Andrea says:

Your scarf is very pretty. It is funny how clothing can conjure up memories. I would have to say though, you are very brave to swim in lake Whakatipu. My daughter had a bought of carsickness once and I found myself cleaning up the evidence in that lake. It was mid summer and by the time I was finished I couldn’t feel my hands! My memories are not nearly as romantic as yours but I do remember exactly what she was wearing! Queenstown is a stunningly beautiful spot though.

8. SeeKatSew says:

That is a gorgeous scarf, worth all time and money invested. Those colors make your face glow, it is so beautiful. Lovely, beautiful and yummy. I think I am trying to say that I like it.

9. I have made good use of Kim Hargreaves ‘Quirky’. And still want more from it. Expensive – yes, but money well spent for me.

10. Sarah says:

I love your scarf and have been wanting to knit Haven for ever! It’s the long slog of knitting a gian long scarf that has but me off, LOL! I really like Heartfelt and Breeze is another one of Kim Hargreaves’ books that I really enjoy. I bought both on eBay for a fraction of the price.

11. Kay says:

It is a lovely scarf.

12. lovelucie1 says:

Great scarf/lipstick combo!

13. sewsable says:

I’ve got that book as well, did start on an item from it once, but ended up frogging and using the yarn for something else once I realised my lifestyle didn’t fit that particular item. I’m still keeping the book though, along with Amber!

14. Roobeedoo says:

Ooh – snuggalicious! :)
    I agree that knitting compilations are often like those Greatest Hit CDs you buy for a couple of tracks and then end up shoving to the back of a drawer because the other 32 are so mediocre.
    I would definitely recommend the Unofficial HP Knits magazine, sadly illicit goods in the UK, but where there’s a will there’s a way ;) I also really like Hitch from Cooperative Press – the pdf is really good value with 29 patterns for just over £10. Hats, mitts, shawls, sweaters – loads of great patterns with a slightly vintage air :)

15. Nakisha says:

Love the scarf! It looks warm and snuggle and the colorway is gorgeous!

16. Rachel says:

Gorgeous scarf. Thank you for the recommendation on the book – I’ll have to look it up. NZ is my home country, so I am always so pleased to hear when people had pleasurable experiences travelling there. The South Island is particularly stunning. Awww, what a country! Rachel :-)

17. KnitNell says:

A lovely scarf – Kim H’s designs are always delightful, she must be one of my favourite knitwear designers. It is the shaping and the clever details on her designs that make her stand out.

18. Sabs says:

Really like the design of this and the colour (your colours!) is lovely!

19. Miriana says:

It makes you happy, with good reason – you look gorgeous in these colours! Lovely scarf. And what wouldn’t I give now to swim in that heavenly looking lake…

20. nita says:

Beautiful! I see knitted scarves in my future, lol!

21. Ros says:

I’m all about pdf knitting patterns these days, I’m afraid. Instant gratification and much cheaper since you buy only the patterns you actually want. And there are lots of freebie patterns on Ravelry, too.

22. Anne-Marie says:

That’s a lovely scarf. I don’t use knitting pattern books (at least not ones that I’ve bought, libraries have a good selection) but most patterns I’ve knit from knitting magazines – some purchased, some borrowed. Swimming in Lake Wakatipu – what a brave woman you are! I believed that lake is usually 7degrees C; 28 years ago we took our family there on holiday and our 9 and 10 year old daughters swam in the lake – not long though, they came out shivering and took a long time warming up… Greetings from Wellington, NZ – overcast and windy today, but who knows, it could be hot and sunny tomorrow!

23. It looks great – well done you! Fabulous photo of that lake in New Zealand.

24. Pearl says:

Beautiful! Love the color!

25. I love the colours and the pattern! I actually have some yarn that ranges in those colours and I think it’s gorgeous, haha. Try to stop me using those colours!

26. Kimmy Sue says:

Love the color :) I also love the coat you are wearing, did you make it? If you did what pattern did you use? Love your blog!!!

27. Gorgeous scarf! It looks lovely and cosy.
    You swum in Lake Wakatipu?? That lake is freezing!! You are a very brave woman, either that or it was January/February, the only time it is bearable. Such a beautiful place though.
    I always knit with colours that I am drawn to and then find they don’t go with much in my wardrobe – really need to plan better. Currently I’m knitting a duck egg blue cardi, I don’t have anything with this colour at the moment. I guess I will work on that problem next!!

28. Amy says:

Looks super warm and perfect autumnal colours! I want to knit in New Zealand now!

29. symondezyn says:

Beautiful, and love the colourway on you!! :) Very vibrant and lovely to add some colour to a dreary winter day :) I’ll have to check out that compilation… as for me, I HIGHLY recommend ISLAND by Jane Richmond… I’m biased because she’s local and I love her, but I’ve already made two projects from the book and plan on making the other three as well. Five out of five – that’s a winner to me! :)

30. quiltyknitwit says:

What a lovely, warm scarf – the colors really suit you!

31. Kimmy Sue says:

Love the colors! Love the jacket too!!! Did you make it?