Top 5 of 2013

The Hits Collage

I’ve taken a deep breath and dived into Crafting A Rainbow’s Top 5 of 2013. Let’s start with the hits, shall we?

A mere nine months ago, I apparently had the energy to make a Minoru in a weekend. Wowzers! This has been a great coat, using fabric that was part of the Tessuti Gridlock competition and some buttery voile from The Village Haberdashery. Proof that combining two distinctly different prints in one make can work.

Mathilde Blouse En Rouge. I love this pattern so and am excited to hear that Tilly is soon to release paper patterns. My first make of this blouse shrunk, shrunk, and shrunk in the wash until it had to be thrown away. I must make another version. The Mathilde is sooooo feminine.

The wool and leather Simplicity 2451 mash up. This has become a stalwart of my wardrobe. Neutral colours but with that flash of something different. This skirt has received so many compliments, yet was simple as to make. A lesson in the power of good basics with a twist.

Another basic – my black wool crepe Hollyburn skirt. I’ve worn this one to death. Not long after making this skirt, I began teaching a Hollyburn skirt class at The Village Haberdashery. I’ve recently bought some red triple wool crepe. Is another Hollyburn skirt in my future?

Bound Buttonhole e-book

For my fifth hit I’m going to include my Bound Buttonhole ebook. I’ve been flattered to see this featured on three high profile blogs recently – Tilly’s, Scruffy Badger’s and Lladybird’s. I couldn’t understand the sudden surge in interest, until I remembered that we’d hit coat season. Perfect for bound buttonholes.

What do my Hits have in common? They’re all separates.

Misses Collage

Now, onto my Misses. Shall we confront the elephant in the room? I STILL haven’t finished my dress made with Mood fabric, following Susan Khalje’s excellent¬†Craftsy course. It’s a shame – it’s a great dress in the careful making and I haven’t given up on it yet! I am nothing if not stubborn. (Plus, I’m gonna be in New ¬†York in March and would quite like to visit Mood without cringing with shame.)

Next up is my sleeveless version of a Mathilde blouse. Made in a mad rush of pre-vacation sewing. A reader compared this top to a dinner lady’s tabard and so the death knell was rung!

Anyone remember the granny square blanket I was crocheting? Me neither. Those crocheted squares languish in my spare bedroom. Maybe I should have a ritualistic burning?

The jersey dress I was too disgusted to blog about! I made a dress, it was very sweet, I tried it on, decided I didn’t like it and started hacking the heck out of it. I managed to rescue a skirt from the whole experience, but this was definitely a lesson in why we shouldn’t sew when stressed.

Only four Misses mentioned here. Maybe there’s one last Miss waiting to be blogged about. Or maybe not… Did someone just say the word ‘Sewlution’?

More to come, my friends!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Top 5 of 2013

1. Rachel says:

I coat is in my 2014 sewing plans… so maybe a copy of your e-book is in order! Thanks for sharing!

2. I’m sure that granny square blanket could be made into an Ella blanket. And I’m pretty certain she would love it.
    The Minoru is the first of my projects for 2014 but I am sure it will take much longer than a weekend!

3. LLADYBIRD says:

March, you say? Hm… Should I plan my annual NYC trip so we can have a round two? ;)

Also, that bound buttonhole ebook rules! Now someone grant me the courage to open up the back of my facing and complete mine…

4. Sheree says:

Karen, I think you have the wrong photo for the mash-up skirt, or are you testing us to see if we are paying attention!

5. Pingback: Top 5 of 2013: The Misses | said & done: Handmade by Chris

6. Thistle Sniffing says:

Your Anna dress Karen – make it a top 6 ! That dress was amazing, and really hot (minus a slut factor, always good over a certain age….). Must admit though that your leather mash-up skirt is also rather soooper. But Anna has a special place in my admiring heart ;0)

Have the best 2013, and I hereby resign from 2013 Sewlutions cos I have been rubbish.
    Morag
    x

7. Debbie Iles says:

I remember that Minoru Gridlock Jacket. I loved that!

8. lisa g says:

i love your hits, especially the leather accented skirt! i’d love to copy that idea sometime. and the mood dress can’t be a miss if it hasn’t been completed yet… right? ;-)

9. Helen says:

Oh, I’d forgotten about your ebook, and there my coat is, languishing in the cupboard, for fear of some bound buttonholes! Thanks for the reminder!

10. sewamysew says:

I loved that Mathilde when I first saw it, I’m so glad to hear your getting lots of wear out if it.

I guess you know it’s a miss when it remains a UFO right? ;)

11. What about that fabulous coat you made? I was so inspired by that.

12. LinB says:

Happy new year! I agree that the crochet squares should become a blanket for Miss Ella. I don’t think they would burn properly, just melt into a horrid lump of plasticky nastiness.

13. Joanne says:

That Minoru is absolutely fabulous! I can see why it made your top list :D

14. Treva Putsche says:

I love that minuro jacket so much I want to make on, as well as the black skirt with leather. I think you’ve had some wonderful success’s and your misses aren’t so far off. Your still working on the dress. I don’t think your red dress look liked a tabard ( being american I had to look this up, but still not a lunch lady’s top, I’m sure its very cute with white slacks or shorts. I understand on the granny squares, they are so tedious to sew together, I made one of those blankets the first year my daughter moved to London and decided never doing that again. 200 squares and a billion hours sewing them together not my cup of tea. It has served her well over there feeling a bit like home. So overall Karen a brilliant job! I so love following you and Ella’s little adventures.

15. Treva Putsche says:

I love that minuro jacket so much I want to make on, as well as the black skirt with leather. I think you’ve had some wonderful success’s and your misses aren’t so far off. Your still working on the dress. I don’t think your red blouse look liked a tabard ( being american I had to look this up, but still not a lunch lady’s top, I’m sure its very cute with white slacks or shorts. I understand on the granny squares, they are so tedious to sew together, I made one of those blankets the first year my daughter moved to London and decided never doing that again. 200 squares and a billion hours sewing them together not my cup of tea. It has served her well over there feeling a bit like home. So overall Karen a brilliant job! I so love following you and Ella’s little adventures.

16. Ann says:

Love your look back at the year. Great projects.

Please don’t burn the granny square blanket. It may be the red border that is putting you off. I would change the red to a cream or white.

17. oonaballoona says:

i’m sorry, all intelligent thought went out of my head because YOU’RE GOING TO BE IN NY IN MARCH?!!!!

18. Kat H says:

*currently trying to figure out how to get to NY in March….* ;-)

19. One of my own personal favorite Hits of 2013 is that I got to meet YOU! :) :) Happy New Year, Karen! xo