Simplicity 2451 – The Girl Can’t Help It

Simplicity 2451

And so my twin obsessions with monochrome and the Simplicity 2451 continue. My fourth iteration. Am I gonna apologise for this skirt? No way!

I haven’t even shown you the lining yet…

Simplicity 2451 lining

Oh yes, my friends. That there is called a Double Polka Dot Whammy. Both fabrics were bought from The Man Outside Sainsburys, though I might report him to Waltham Forest council for feeding severe addiction. It just ain’t right! Or is it? At £3 a metre for the stretch cotton sateen, purchase of this felt oh-so-right.

I’m going back for another three metres. Come on! This stuff would make a great Elisalex dress. Am I right, or am I right? You’re so right, Karen. I know!

Simplicity 2451 close up

UPDATE! A few readers have requested details regarding location of The Man Outside Sainsburys. Don’t forget to check my downloadable map of Walthamstow market here. TMOS is labelled number one. (Of course he is!)

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Simplicity 2451 – The Girl Can’t Help It

1. victoriapeat says:

Love the double dots!

Your 2451 antics have prompted me to buy the pattern! I have also purchased some pink herringbone tweed. Husband is away all next week so I may just make a start….all I need to do is shift some of this timber I seem to have gained in the run up to and over Christmas!

2. Lovely skirt! Does The Man Outside Sainsbury’s have a name?

3. Kathryn says:

Ooh this is lovely! I keep putting off going up to Saeeds to buy curtain lining as I’m sure I’ll end up with lots more from there & from the man outside Sainsbury’s! Great idea for an Elisalex too!

4. Alessa says:

I also recently cut out one of these! :D Love your polka dot version! And how I wish I could visit London more often…

5. Kate says:

Lovely skirt. I’m a bit fan of dots so the double dot is brilliant!

6. sewbusylizzy says:

Fab skirt. Now I want to make another. I’ve made it three times… clearly need more…

7. mepellymelly says:

Love the double polka dot whammy!

8. Haha! You made another one and it’s very very cute! Love the polka dots! Now, where’s that man outside Sainsbury’s?? Happy New Year too!

9. Marie says:

What a beauty and very luxurious-looking too! Double dots are a winner Karen, as is this skirt on you!

10. Debi says:

I wish there was a man selling polka dot fabric outside our Sainsburys! I love this!

11. A veritable double-dotty success Karen :)!

12. Hanne says:

I love it. There are never too much polkadots in one outfit.

13. Katie says:

Love it! Do you know what days your fabric pusher is in residence? I may need to pay him a visit..

• Most Saturdays, sometimes midweek but that’s a bit more random.

• Molly says:

He’s there some weekdays too, I asked him once which days but forget now. During the week he’s further up the market towards the library end of the High St, somewhere between Sainsburys and Greggs IIRC (and once was actually outside the library, he was not a happy bunny that day).

14. Vicki says:

Too cute! Love the coloured legs :)

15. Tamsin W-P says:

Another fab version! You have made 4 since November and I still haven’t managed to blog the one that i finished *just* when you blogged your first!

16. Marianne says:

Cute skirt! Now I have to add TMOS to my IRTVLA list. Buying enough fabrics from him might justify the price of my plane ticket :) Maybe the best of all Important Reasons To Visit London Again!

17. Lynne says:

Double denim – bad: double dots – fab-u-lous!!! I squeed when I saw the photo of the inside, it’s gorgeous. This Simplicity pattern needs no apology, it’s up there with S2444. I wonder if TMOS realises he’s such a celeb on the interwebs?!

18. sylkotwist says:

I need a paper bag to control my breathing, I absolutely LOVE this Karen! I may just (if you don’t mind) have to completely rip this off … lovely styling too.

19. Rebecca says:

LOVE the lining! Really cute skirt!

20. cathynd95 says:

I think you have gotten me hooked on that pattern just from thos post! I will be looking for it next time S patterns fo on sale at Joann’s. Love love love thw polka dots!

21. dae says:

never apologize for making something so fabulous! Its like the saying, “if the shoe fits buy a pair in every color”. that style looks great on you

22. tillybuttons says:

It’s like a polka dot fabric mise en abyme [swoons]. Trip to Walthamstow soon? x

23. Philippa says:

You’ve definitely found your style! Looks great.

24. I made it!! says:

I think it is a great combo!

25. Jenn C says:

Love your skirt! I adore polka dots :)

26. Jenny says:

Double dots = INSPIRED! Why am I lining anything in a material other than polka dots? I have taken leave of my senses.

I have a similar obsession with Simplicity 2343 and I’m not ashamed to say it. http://cashmerette.blogspot.com/2013/11/if-it-aint-broke-make-it-in-japanese.html?m=1

27. Amy says:

Hello! You have inspired me to start my own blog – sit, knit and sew. It is very much in the early stages, but I’d appreciate any feedback and/or tips you might have. I have lots of exciting projects in the pipeline but not sure if I want to blog them before they are finished…

28. fabulous polka dots and polka lining! I am going to have to jump on the tube and head up to the market, is there a day to visit for fabrics or is he there Tuesday – Saturday?

• Sheree says:

I have been to his stall a couple of times on a Tuesday and he is further up the High Street almost by the entrance to the shopping centre.

29. Becky says:

I want this whole outfit, the whole thing duplicated just for ME! This is fabulous, and it looks terrific on you. You look so relaxed in it. I looked at the pattern, and the envelope has a skirt in black/white polka dots as well. I just can’t get over how much I like this.

30. MarrieB says:

A double polka dot whammy…You have my heart!! I really must try this pattern soon, all your versions are great.

31. Diane says:

Love the double dots. You’re so lucky to have fabric stalls selling such reasonably priced fabric. For a visitor to London with limited available time would you recommend Walthamstow Market or Goldhawk Road as the best for variety of purchases?

• DEFINITELY Goldhawk Road. There are 15+ shops there, open Monday-Friday. The market has a few good stalls, usually on Saturdays, but it’s more hit and miss. Goldhawk Road is gold!

• Diane says:

Excellent, ta. Going to make a trip down to the Big Smoke later this year for a weekend so will swoop in to Goldhawk Road – excited!

32. Pingback: Vintage pink … | sylkotwist

33. Double dots!!! I love it! You’re so right, Karen! :)

34. angela says:

Polkadots on polkadots! Cute and practical, I can see why you’ve made this pattern more
    than once.

35. Chris says:

Karen, you are so very right!! I am preparing a mental map of Men Outside Supermarkets for when I come to London next. My tourist map of London is going to be quite different from the usual tourist’s ;-)

36. Helen says:

Really lovely skirt, the top and cardigan complement the polka dots perfectly, totally fabulous!

37. Roberta Fahrni says:

Love it!

38. Sheree says:

Another great version. I have just finished one myself (inspired by you) and surprised myself by having to make no alterations whatsoever. And on top of that actually finished it! My fabric came from, guess what -man from outside Sainsburys. Will definitely make it again.

39. Essi P says:

Love the skirt, dots on dots = best thing ever. I need this pattern after having your lovely versions!

40. sewamysew says:

This is so so right! I want something double polka dot now!!

41. The skirt is gorgeous, and flawlesly sewn, but… ARGH! you make me envious with our fabric suppliers! Yesterday I was in two very big fabric stores in Barcelona to buy…NOTHING. All the fabrics were awful, and I am not exagerating. The uggly colours and patterns might be subjective, but the fact that everything was polyester is just a fact! ugh!
    Now, I will have to find an excuse to travel to London… hmf!

42. Fadanista says:

Wish there was TMOS in Perth, W. Aust! On the other hand, my stash would be even more out of control! I LOVE this skirt and ADORE the polka dots. I really don’t need another skirt pattern, but am seriously tempted by your fabulousness.

43. Star Speckles says:

That’s fab, I love the double polkadots!

44. Catherine says:

double dots! thats a winning skirt right there!

45. This skirt has soared to the top of my must-make-now list!

46. I lovvvvve your outfit! And never apologize for tried and true patterns :)

47. Carolyn says:

Double polka dot whammy! Love it!! I’m such a sucker for polka dots. : )

48. Tee hee, I went to Walthamstow last time I was in London. I wandered up and down and saw Sainsburys so then looked and thought “ha, that must be the Man Outside Sainsburys!” and then proceeded to buy about 10m of fabric! A brilliant find thanks to you!!

49. Polka dot heaven, gorgeous. I call him the man outside Sainburys too. He’s my favourite place to score me some fabric in London.

50. Elizabeth says:

Ohh, love the double dose of dots. Genius!

51. this is gorgeous :) and those tights!

52. Pingback: Inky Anna dress | the secret life of seams