Feel The Fear And Knit It Anyway

Colourful Wool

Thanks to all the people who commented on my recent shawl make – and to those of you who suggested other shawls to knit. I’ve plumped (I think!) for the Cabernet Sauvignon (ha!), as nominated by A Little Of What You Fancy. Thanks, friend! This shawl looks eminently wearable and easy to knit in front of the telly.

So, off I went to buy some DK wool. I’ve gone for turquoise, although I really had to frogmarch myself to the counter. I love it but it slightly terrifies me, and I still can’t work out why. Do any of you have an insight? Why can I happily sew and wear a screaming red dress, but feel the fear of a turquoise knitted shawl? What’s your greatest crafting fear?

In other news, I’m featured in February’s Sewing World magazine! Much less scary.

sewing world

This entry was posted in knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Feel The Fear And Knit It Anyway

1. Cassiefairy says:

Congrats on being featured in Sewing World! My greatest crafting fear is simply making that first cut into a piece of fabric – I have to measure, double check and measure again! :)

2. Sam says:

Oh, I’m so pleased you chose the Cabernet Sauvignon. I hope you love it as much as I love mine. It’s a fun knit and lovely to wear, and will look great in turquoise.

3. Ooh, that colour is wonderful! I’m looking forward to seeing that all knitted up in its glory. I think my greatest crafting fear is making such a botch of whatever I’m doing that I can’t rescue it. And yet feeling obliged to wear it, anyway. :(

4. joanfrankham says:

thata shawl looks lovely, keep us updated when you get going.

5. nataliec1603 says:

It’s great to see bloggers being mentioned in magazines at the moment and you definitely deserve a spread :)

6. So proud of you! Love the pics you chose for the magazine! [Note: I bought that coat pattern after you made it...unfortunately I am still to make] I wonder why you chose Cabernet Sauvignon ;o) That shawl will be the perfect companion for glamorous wine tasting nights in London.

7. helen says:

Congratulatons on the magazine article.
    The shawl will look fab, I tend to hesitate over bright colours. Which is silly as they do suit.

8. Karen says:

Turquoise will look beautiful with your coloring- Go for it!

9. Fear not, for the color is fabulous!! :D
    I have just finished a cardi in nearly the same color. I was a bit sceptic at first but I am loving it!

10. symondezyn says:

Ah but you made that beautiful teal Simplicity dress – the turquoise is not that far off! :) Congrats on the magazine feature! :)

11. redsilvia says:

I am thinking of making bright red pants! My curves and bright red have never met…we shall see.

The turquoise yarn is amazing. It’ll be gorgeous, so keep on!

12. maddie says:

Congratulations on the feature, Karen!

13. I love turquoise. I have chosen turquoise cotton to sew up my simplicity 2617 monochrome bag :-) my biggest fear is making something for someone and it going entirely wrong. :-/

14. Ooh, congrats on the magazine!! And that turquoise is beautiful, you should have no qualms draping yourself in that beauty! And what a luscious yarn, too– I actually have a single skein of that in emerald green, I bought it with Debi when I was in Edinburgh! I haven’t figured out yet what to make since I just have the one, but I’m thinking a beret. :)

15. Alina says:

Loving the colours, plus I’m loving the beautiful things you’ve made. A new follower for sure :)

16. Andrea Moran says:

I think the turquoise is lovely. We all need some colour in our knitting, otherwise it’s just not enjoyable!

17. SW says:

A shawl is more of an accessory than a basic part of your wardrobe such as a dress or even a jacket. Bold accessories scare some people.

18. I made it!! says:

Congratulations on the magazine!

19. Kat says:

That’s awesome! Good on you!

20. Fadanista says:

Oh, congratulations on the lovely writeup, and well done on buying turquoise – needed in London, I would have thought!

21. Amy says:

Congrats on the magazine feature! And, the turquoise is gorgeous. I hope you grow to love it! Otherwise, perhaps it’s just not one of your colors? I’ve recently realized black probably isn’t one of my most flattering colors, which is a bit crazy since I wear a lot of black!!

22. Daniela M. says:

Congrats on getting featured in the magazine! That’s amazing! The color of your wool is lovely and hopefully you will start to feel more confident with it, when seeing the actual outcome :) But maybe you are afraid of the color because your will be wearing it much closer to your head, than lets say the dress, and you are afraid that it will not complement your skin tone?!

23. Carolyn says:

Congrats on The Sewing World piece…it is well deserved!

24. Maureen says:

Orkney angora is lovely but the tiny (or to be truly Orcadian – “peedie”) fibres can fly everywhere so if it’s getting up your nose and making you sneeze then stick it all in the fridge for a wee while to calm it down. It is lovely stuff to wear.