Thwarted At Every Turn

Ruined WoolSo, this happened. I’m not sure who I’m more cross with. Myself, for leaving my knitting in paw’s reach, or Ella for succumbing to temptation. That is going to take some serious de-knotting. Maybe I’ll tackle in front of the telly tonight as the second series of The Great British Sewing Bee launches. Huzzah!

Then there are my adventures in sock making. I decided to use this (fantastic) free e-booklet to learn something new. So far, so good. I have successfully knitted one sock. Now, we have a problem. I’m not sure I can be bothered to knit the second one. It’s a bit like running laps – been there, done that.

But if I ever want to set up as a children’s entertainer, I’m sorted. What do you think my sock puppet is saying? Also, can you see why a friend calls Ella The Dark Lord? Seriously, that face is impossible to read.

Sock Puppet

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing and knitting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Thwarted At Every Turn

1. kristiellkay says:

Oh no, I really felt for you when I saw this on IG! I’ve left my yarn within reach of my dogs before.
    =(
    I found out Duncan has extraordinary scissor-teeth, too, when I was unknotting and found something like 8 different “ends” to the yarn. Beware!

2. Oh, bad dog!
    Good luck unraveling that nest :)

3. christine says:

I knit the same cowl five times, thanks to my cat, Dorothy. I guess at least she attacked at a different point every time, so it became kind of like a roulette wheel – “Will I make it to the end? I’m farther than last time! I’m in! I’m in! Nope, she got me.” :)

4. I am so sorry, my cat just sits and tries to scissor bite her way through yarn. All is removed and put away when I am not in. Also yay for the Great British Sewing Bee I have it on record as football is on. Lucky that she did not do any damage to herself with the needles though :)

5. Jennifer says:

Hah! I have so many single socks with no pair, I definitely suffer from Second Sock Syndrome!

That mess of yarn looks like it will be a big headache to wind back together. Good luck!

6. Sewingjen says:

I also have had to record GBSB as away from home and in a football watching environment. As for the socks Karen, having now conquered sock knitting may I suggest the ” toe up two together” method.
    My sock knitting engineer daughter had the same disease as yourself – commonly known as “second sock syndrome” so she discovered that you can actually knit 2 together using a circular needle and the magic loop method. This method is best done by beginning at the toe – so no Kitchener grafting to do at the toe, and better still no markers required. After years of knitting individual socks on dpn’s I now follow the above method for all socks. See my socks on Ravelry – Sewingjen – Icelandic socks – use Knitpurlhunter’s Lacery pattern also on Ravelry – you don’t have to knit the lacy pattern but her patterns are foolproof and her videos (which show Judy’s Magic Cast on – required to begin) are excellent and looking at them can pass a very happy hour!! I always have socks on the go as they are so compact and easy to stuff into a handbag so that they are always ready whilst travelling or waiting for appointments. You can easily mesmerise fellow travellers!!

• LinB says:

I like doing it that way, but I am old-fashioned enough that I much prefer doing conventional top-down socks, using two sets of needles. I cast on both socks, then knit a bit on one sock first (say, an inch or two of ribbing) and then knit the other to match — takes two sets of needles, and is no time saver, but when you are finished, you are finished with both socks. Have tried the 19th-century method of one-set-of-needles-two-balls-of-yarn in which you knit both socks at the same time, one inside the other; but it is too easy for me to mess them up by inadvertently knitting the two fabrics together. Also one of my socks came out three sizes smaller than the other.

Good luck on the the detangling! Finishing it will be good for your project, and add immensely to your backbone and sense of virtue at accomplishing a necessary task.

7. Angela says:

Anyone know how us across the pond can watch GBSB? Will it be on You Tube?

Sorry about the dog’s fun time… :( that does not look like a fun job.

8. Sweetpeagreen says:

2 at a time is definitely the way to go – Melissa Morgan-Oakes has a couple of books, one top down, the other tie up. There’s a Ravelry group dedicated to 2 at a time too 😊

9. Gjeometry says:

Yup. I don’t know how many pics I’ve posted on IG and Twitter of “Kitty interference”. Some more devastating than others. But, Ella told me to tell you she’s sowwy.

10. B & the Moon says:

I’ve most definitely been there. I once returned home to find a woolen cobweb extending from the living room to the kitchen then upstairs to the bedroom…thank you Bruno!…safe to say, I bagged it all up and put it away…one day I’ll get round to sorting it…maybe…

11. Oh no!! Love the sock puppet monster – seems a shame to make the other one and wear them when your dog gets THAT much out of it!! :P

12. No animals here- but I did give up trying to knit for years because of mischievous little hands undoing everything! ! Also I’m knitting a pair of socks right now and I’m doing them two at a time to avoid a lonesome sock :)

13. I once had to buy a ball of wool that I didn’t want from John Lewis because my daughter had done something similar with it while I wasn’t looking! Please tell me you made the black and white top you’re wearing (or where you bought it) – love it!

14. Maddie says:

You have a way with words, Karen, that’s for sure!

15. Stephanie says:

The title of this entry is the headline for my life! :) I remember once my golden retriever eating the end of a finished sock from my knitting basket while I was just about to finish the match. I was annoyed, needless to say, but my mother couldn’t stop laughing…

16. My cure for second sock syndrome is to reverse direction, change from toe up to top down or vice versa. It keeps the second one interesting!

17. twotoast says:

Ah yes, this is why you don’t see dogs knitting very often – they tend to play with the yarn rather than actually knitting with it! One of my greyhounds just LOVES my sock knitting – especially the nicer yarns, you know, cashmere, alpaca etc.,

And to prevent SSS (second sock syndrome) . . . knit two socks at a time (TAAT) using a circular needle. You then do not need to worry about counting rows – making sure they match, because you are knitting them together!!

18. Fadanista says:

I love the colour of the yarn, so will be worth untangling. I was also going to suggest knitting the socks together – bit late now of course! You once did a post on knitting machines; I knit all my socks on a machine as I can knit a pair in a couple of hours!

19. Elena Knits says:

SSS (second sock syndrome) is very common. To avoid it I knit 2 socks at a time in circular needles. You should give it a try!

20. roobeedoo says:

Who said socks have to come in pairs? ;)

• LinB says:

Indeed! Elizabeth Zimmerman advised giving mittens and socks in sets of threes to children in your life, as one mitten or sock is always going missing. I followed her advice to fasten my mittens together with string to keep them dangling from the sleeves of my coat … looks kindergartenish, but I’ve not lost one of those mittens in over 10 years of wearing them.

21. hehe cheeky devil! Illegal beagle got caught in the downstairs loo for about an hour. In that time he ate a packet of toilet rolls and rather ironically the Long Road to Freedom – The Nelson Mandela story. Nice work on the sock.

22. Lorna says:

Oh no – that’s going to take a bit of sorting out! I can sympathise, having a toddler who is desperate to crochet. I caught her with some Fyperspates silk last week, ‘helping’!. Thankfully it was salvageable. I can sympathise with the second sock boredom too – I used to make silver jewellery, and I’d get bored on the second earring, so a sock would just send me right over the edge!

23. Pearl says:

Second sock-itis, as we call it, is a common problem. I usually make socks two pair at a time and alternate them to keep myself from getting bored ;)

24. Ann says:

Has anyone found a way to watch Series 2 of “The Great British Sewing Bee” online? I’m in Canada and checked You Tube, but it appears to have been banned!

25. Aussiegirl says:

Yay! for the GBSB! As an Aussie living in Europe in 2013, I became ADDICTED! Now we’re home in gorgeous Brisbane, which is great BUT… does anyone know if GBSB will be screening Down Under? Youtube, maybe? We SO need a GASB!

26. Jeanine says:

My little dog loves to get into yarn. Yes, I too have had that happen.

27. louisefrost says:

Oh dear! Well…. mmm….not sure where I’d begin with that!!!

28. Louisa says: