Coco The Fourth, Minerva Meet Up The First

Coco Number Four

Yup, this is my fourth Coco, photographed as an homage to Tilly’s original launch photos. (And also because I didn’t have time to snap myself in this top.) Do you recognise the fabric? It’s leftover jersey from the Tofino Sewalong I hosted last summer. I told you that the Coco is a good stash buster! In fact, as I finished making this Coco top I was wearing my PJ bottoms in the very same fabric, albeit faded after regularly going through the wash for the past ten months. I still wear these PJs pretty much every week! Do you still wear yours?

Sewing Coco

If you’re making the top version of the Coco, as opposed to the dress, you’ll come across a slight issue with the angled hem that would otherwise extend into the skirt section. It’s not difficult to conquer. Below is my technique for dealing with this:

Hem Collage.jpg

Trimming

I hope this helps anyone else making a Coco top.

In other news, have you heard about the Minerva Meet Up on 14 June? I’m going to be a guest speaker, so it’s a good job I attended an Eloquent Woman workshop earlier this week at Trinity College, Oxford – photos from Oxford and my other myriad adventures to be found on my Instagram account.

Any topics you’d like to see covered in my talk? I’m really excited to attend the Minerva Meet Up and am particularly thrilled to return to Lancashire, the county that gave me my university education, which set me on the route to publishing, which basically changed my life. I’ll be hot-footing it North this summer for a big old sewing love in. Will you?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Coco The Fourth, Minerva Meet Up The First

1. CurlsnSkirls says:

You’re sewin’ up a storm over there – looking great!
    del

2. I only live about half an hour away so I’m hoping to make it to the meet up. It would be lovely to see you in person again…and to hear your talk!

3. sewmanju says:

I am hoping to come. It will be lovely to finally meet you and some other bloggers in person. And it will be great to hear your talk. Do you know the title yet ?

• Oh, it would be lovely to meet you, too! I have some ideas for the talk, but am open to suggestions!

• sewmanju says:

Is it a “technical” talk or something more general? E.g technical [insert nerdy voice] “interfacings; types, when and where to use them” e .g general [optional insert of nerdy voice] “how the home sewing pattern has evolved from conception to today”. Haha both of my imaginary titles are brilliant! Er not!

4. Think this is a pattern I’m going to have to get, keep seeing so many lovely versions.

5. Dibs says:

Oh, I went to University round those parts too. I went to Lancaster University.

6. Kat says:

Great finishing technique! And congrats on being a guest speaker, so exciting! And a sewing conference too…what could be better??!! I’m in Australia, so a bit far for me :(

7. Debi says:

So much fun! I’m really hoping I can make it!!

8. Looks great :-) Really tempted by this pattern, but do you think knit fabrics are a no-go for beginners?

9. Louise says:

I love your Cocos! I made my first one a couple of weeks ago. I’m off to the Minerva meet up too – look forward to seeing you there :)

10. lovelucie1 says:

I’ll see you there too. A great opportunity to meet up with many of the Minerva Craft Network Bloggers.

11. Lorna says:

Ha, Karen, you’ve made FOUR now – and I still haven’t finished the first one! You’re a sewing dynamo. Wish I could make it to the Minerva do, I have no blog (chicken!) but follow lots avidly – it’d be great to meet you and everyone else. Maybe next time – I might even have finished my Coco by then!

12. You can join my Coco support group if you’d like. I’ve finished three dresses and one and a half tops. Thanks so much for the angled hem technique. I want to do the side splits properly in the top that I’m currently working on, and this will help a lot.
    Take care and wish I could come to these meet ups!! I’d LOVE to come back to Lancashire.
    Shelley

13. Mags says:

I’m going, looking forward to it. I think there is going to be a great response.

14. MrsC says:

Gorgeous colour!

15. Lina says:

So I’ve been lurking and reading for a while, but I had to comment (stalkerishly?) because I was so surprised at the internet bumping into real life – you came to the Speechwriters conference at my college! I’m sitting by the Porter’s Lodge now letting people through the gate, pretending to study and actually browsing sewing blogs….. I hope you had a good time here!