Jennifer Lauren, The Afternoon Blouse

The Afternoon Blouse

What do you think, peeps? Is Spring here?

As soon as I saw The Afternoon Blouse on other blogs (here and here) I knew I had to make this pretty, vintage style, kimono sleeved blouse. It’s named after the amount of time it takes to put together – a pretty accurate name!

This could also be called The Perfect Stash Buster Blouse. I used fabric bought over Christmas at Birmingham’s rag market. It has a lovely drape and warmth to the touch. I wish I’d bought more!

Fabric Purchases

The Afternoon Blouse is a downloadable PDF pattern that needs taping together. This one really didn’t take too long. I like to trace my taped pattern pieces onto Swedish tracing paper – so much easier to store and work with. I traced according to my size and didn’t bother to toile. After all, this is a fairly forgiving style. Doesn’t it go well with my red triple crepe Hollyburn En Rouge? I can’t stress enough how well this skirt sews up in crepe.

The Afternoon Blouse Close Up

Because of my fabric print, it’s difficult to see the sweet neckline detail.

Afternoon Blouse Version 1

I added a mother of pearl button. My fabric has lots of drape and flip flap, so I hand sewed down the decorative neckline.

Afternoon Blouse Detail

Would I share any other tips?

• Remember to obey the instruction to finish the outer edge of your facing. I finished mine on the overlocker, but this could be as simple as trimming with pinking scissors.
  • I’d add a second instruction to understitch your facing as far as possible. You won’t be able to get all the way around the decorative neckline, but do as much as you can. It will definitely help the blouse sit properly.

Below is a photograph of both the above details:

Understitching

I think this is such a sweet pattern! Perfect for pretty prints and pretty buttons! I really want to make another version in a voile or maybe even a Liberty lawn. Have I finally found the perfect excuse to buy some Isle of Wight print? What would be your perfect fabric for this blouse?

Flower For The Lady

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Jennifer Lauren, The Afternoon Blouse

1. Carolyn Boland says:

Great photos — great work!

Sent from my iPhone

2. Jenni says:

Love your version, most inspiring :-)

3. Fadanista says:

Lovely, lovely, lovely (blouse, skirt and setting)!

4. Barbara says:

Love it in that fabric and can also see it in one of the Liberty Isle of Wight prints.

5. Rachel says:

Really lovely! And it does look great with your skirt!

6. sullivan1970 says:

This looks wonderful! I just finished my first version, in some suiting I had in my stash, but my next version will definitely be in lawn. Super easy construction but lovely fit!

7. Linda T says:

Very pretty and feminine.

8. Auntiedini says:

That is lovely! You’ve inspired me to try a pdf pattern for the first time.

9. senjiva says:

Is your blouse a silk crepe? I think I need to make this now.

10. so pretty, you look great in red. great photos!

11. Jane says:

Oh it’s lovely Karen, so pretty! And it teams up perfectly with that red skirt. Yup, once you’ve made one, you just have to make another – I’ve got a 2nd one all cut out and ready to go in Liberty print! x

12. Sally says:

Really pretty blouse – I like it in a print! And that first picture is absolutely beautiful!! Happy Spring! @-’-,–

13. Spring has sprung! Lovely photos and makes :-)

14. foxplanning says:

Definitely go with the isle of wight lawn. It’ll be your summer go to top. Dress up for work or down for weekend dog walking. I’m thinking a contrast facing. Baby pink?

15. Rachel says:

Very nice blouse and ensemble. Can we talk about your pins? They look great – such a fine gauge and are they black/oxidised? Very cool. Rachel ☺

16. gingermakes says:

This really, really suits you! So cute!

17. Hello Spring! What a pretty blouse and a great match with your skirt! Love the pictures too!

18. Lovely blouse, perfect for your wonderful crepe skirt. I love the kimono sleeves, and how you have mastered fabric and pattern to perfection. Thanks for the tips, I will give this paper a try. It is wonderful how the new season resets our creative brains in patterns and fabrics! It is like rebirth again, jeje!

19. This is such a lovely version Karen – oh so pretty and springy! So glad you like the pattern and I can’t wait to see your next version :)

20. oonaballoona says:

you beautiful spring blooming woman.

21. ShanniLoves says:

Yours is beautiful!! I’ve made one already and have plans for a silk version next. I just love this pattern.

22. Debbie says:

I love your version of this blouse. It would look stunning in silk as well!

23. BusyLizzie says:

I’m making it in a rayon first, then I’ll see what else might work!

24. erin says:

So pretty with the skirt!

25. The perfect colour on you Karen, you look gorgeous! And I’m liking this blouse, it’s got a nice bit of detailing that I haven’t seen before.

26. Laura says:

Lovely! This looks great with your skirt :)

27. Suzie says:

Beautiful! This pattern really lends itself well to fabric with drape. Love your version!

28. Roobeedoo says:

Lovely lovely lovely!
    I was a bit worried about interfacing the front facings in a fine fabric – doesn’t it get a bit “starchy”? Maybe I just need to find finer interfacing!

29. Carol cowey says:

Really pretty!
    How much fabric does the afternoon blouse need?

30. Jeanne Grunert says:

Love it! Now you’d inspired me to try it. I wish we had a discount fabric store nearby, but I”d try it anyway.

31. CUP + PENNY says:

Beautiful photo shoot!

32. Well, I think between you, Jane and myself we’ve established this blouse is particularly wonderful in red or red prints! I love the floral you chose, so pretty and feminine. Looks wonderful on you, and I love it with the red skirt. And that first photo in the field… SO gorgeous! I could stare at it all day. (In a non-creepy way, I promise.)

33. nita says:

Oh, I love this! Do you think it could be made into a dress?

34. Wow, this looks great on you! I saw these blouses popping up on the interwebs lately and yours is my favourite version so far!

35. Fab outfit. Your fabric choice is spot on and the photo with the button close up really shows it off. It looks like crepe.

36. Ruth says:

It’s lovely, and red is really your colour.

37. Philippa says:

I saw Tasha’s version first and then yours. I love them and am buying the pattern! Pretty in print and sharp in a plain – perfect!

38. sarahsewlove says:

beautiful :) you look great in red, pattern looks like a great wee stash buster indeed

39. Pingback: The Afternoon Blouse in Liberty Lawn | Did You Make That?

40. Jan Carr says:

Ooh i have some of that isle of wight print probably not enough but as it happens (this doesn’t help my lack of fabric though) i’m on a boat to the Isle of Wight at this very moment!

41. Jan Carr says:

Forgot to say your blouse looks lovely!

42. Wow, Karen this is great and good pics as well. You sure do have a lot of me made clothes these days. Remembering back to those days when you got your first sewing machine is like omg. You actually did it and are continuing to do so. Well done.