Comfortable Coco

Comfortable Coco

When I’m travelling, I like to be comfortable – enter my fourth Coco! This is made from some organic cotton raspberry interlock  from The Village Haberdashery. It comes in several colourways and is ever so soft to the touch. In fact, The Village Haberdashery has a load of really gorgeous knit fabrics. Drool.

Comfortable Coco iii

The first thing I did was whack the jersey through the washing machine and the dryer. I believe in giving fabric a baptism of fire. Because one day soon, I can be absolutely sure I’m going to shove a make into the laundry with little care or attention to temperatures. Let’s get any rude shocks out of the way!

This fabric did not come without its challenges, as it does have a tendency to stretch as you sew seams. See what happened to my cuffs!

Cuff Collage.jpg

Fortunately, I had enough leftover fabric from my two metres. So I snipped off those stretched hems and attached the turned cuffs that come with the pattern. This worked much better.

Because of the fabric’s tendency to stretch I made several executive decisions. I added interfacing to the collar section. I abandoned attempts to add pockets – they quickly become distorted during the sewing process. I chopped three inches off the length, making this more of a tunic – I wasn’t convinced this stretchy knit would live up to a dress silhouette. My best decision was to use Steam-A-Seam on the skirt hem, before stitching. It really helped stabilise it.

Steam A Seam Collage.jpg

Comfortable Coco Walthamstow Village

This fabric was definitely worth the careful attention. Teamed with thick tights or jeggings it has made a colourful and comfortable Coco, really soft against the skin. Perfect for four-day weekends! Are you doing anything nice?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Comfortable Coco

1. Cherry says:

Thank you, I love your blog and this is something I would love to attempt at some point. I bought something similar from Debenhams (mine has pockets and is probably slightly more fitted) and then bought another similar one in a different pattern as I wear it to death. I would love to be able to make a few as I think they are great for home, work or anywhere and so comfy.

2. Nessa says:

Thanks so much for sharing your ‘fix it’ tips. Knit fabric can be a mixed bag of issues, but always worth wrestling with and figuring out.
    Have a GREAT long weekend Karen!

3. Lovely fabric choice even if it is a little wayward. Laundering fabric in this neck of the woods including some lovely Pokemon print. Have a Happy Easter. xx

4. hedgewick says:

OK, I’m confused…Isn’t cotton ponte an oxymoron? Cute make, and great tips. Thanks for sharing the nitty gritty AND the mistakes to avoid!

5. Great idea to tumble dry fabrics first. This is a lovely make so colour and bright.

6. Katie M says:

I love this fabric. I was eyeing the knits at The Village Habadashery when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I have a large stash of knit that I need to get through before I can justify buying any more.

Do you use a walking foot on your machine? I don’t have one and I’m wondering if it would make a bit difference to those stretched out, wavy seams. They’re quite expensive and I want to be sure it will get enough use before I take the plunge.

7. SarahStar says:

This Coco tunic-dress look is gorgeous! Nice work with that stretchy fabric too, you’ve definitely whipped it into shape! Thanks for the steam-a-seam tip, will have to try that one.

8. Jan says:

Steam a Seam is great for lots of things – and a real sanity preserver when working with knits. The steam a seam tape is really good for hems. Love all your versions of the Coco btw !

9. beebeesvintagedress says:

Love it Karen, Coco is so versatile and looks great in bright colours like that pink!
    Good idea with steam a seam. Knits often need a bit of showing who’s boss!

10. katemcivor says:

The steam-a-seam was a great idea. I never turn a knit hem without it, or something like it. I love this coco. AND, thanks to your recommendation, I’m going to sew with Beth at Sunny Gal Studio next Saturday. It turns out I grew up just a few miles from her. :)

11. Philippa says:

I made my first Coco (dress but without collar) from some soft-ish interlock. It didn’t wave but like you I discovered with a drapier fabric it needed to be quite short as it doesn’t hold the shape. I wore it for a day of reading to primary school children and most recently travelling to my brothers (5 1/2 hours). I find I am more comfortable with wearing it with leggings for modesty, but was happy all day on both occasions! Truly, a comfortable dress.

12. Jean says:

Love your Coco. You are really making me want this pattern.

13. Great tips for dealing with a troublesome knit, I love a bit of steam-a-seam! You look great in the tunic length!