Lost In Translation

Amsterdam ii

Amsterdam

Knitting in the sunI am in sunny and gorgeous Amsterdam, where knitting in the sunshine with a glass of wine has become a top priority.

It’s heartening to see that news of the Sporty Summer Sewathon is travelling far and wide. Deadline in one week from now. Gulp! Reports are filtering through (such as this and this) and I recently braved my first run in over a year, so inspired have I been.

photo (15)

Even people in Amsterdam seem to have heard the rally call to get fit in the sun this year. Unfortunately, something has been lost in translation…

Lost In Translation.jpg

Well! Thank goodness for handlebars, that’s all I can say. I had to go and have a little lie down after that unexpected encounter.

How’s your Sporty Summer Sewathon going? Don’t tell me you’ve misinterpreted things, too!

29 Responses to Lost In Translation

1. Emmely says:

When I saw your first picture I thought you must have taken that in the Netherlands and you did! And you are quite lucky with the weather so far.

2. Are you in Amsterdam? How long are you going to stay in NL? It would be great to meet!

3. Emma Jayne says:

That was a well timed photograph… I wonder if the chap in the blue shorts feels a bit overdressed?!
    Well done on your first run this year… making a start is always the hardest bit.

4. KnitNell says:

That was the sight that welcomed us in 2010 to San Francisco – a very large group of naked cyclists. They were campaigning for better road awareness for cyclists. I can’t see that being a problem in Amsterdam however as cyclists get right of way. Was it unseasonably warm? Perhaps they were hoping for someone to knit them some shorts?

5. S says:

Oh that looks so peaceful and lovely. Lucky you! :) I, too, have encountered nude cycle rallies unexpectedly in other places. Not only the sewist in me is a little bit surprised that anyone would want to circulate without clothes on. It is legal where I live for women to walk around in public topless, which is as it should be, although I admit that I have never availed myself of this luxury. I can’t imagine running into one of my colleagues on the jogging path…

6. Lovely! I like how the sticker on the window behind you says ‘stay positive’! And those bikers… Let’s just say I’m wondering about the comfort level.

7. lizard100 says:

I was in Amsterdam today!

8. Emma says:

The Brighton naked cycle went past my flat a few weeks ago

9. sassy02 says:

I’m speechless here in Milwaukee, Wi they would all go to jail for indecent exposure, I glad they have the right to dress/undress the way they want, we do have nudeness camps upnorth I never been myself, lol. You look so comfortable sitting there knitting in the sun with your wine hope you had a great time! :) Sherry

10. Amy says:

Oh my goodness, that looks so uncomfortable! Surely saddles would be disappearing places saddles shouldn’t go?! Otherwise, knitting in the sun abroad sounds lovely right now.

11. Miriana says:

Amsterdam is a wonderful city, enjoy your break, and the sunshine – it’s been pouring with rain here in Brussels…

12. lapaixjoyeux says:

I had the wonderful opportunity to visit southern France and its beaches with my sons when they were teenagers. It was so healthy for them to see young women with small breasts and older women with droopy breasts–not at all like enhanced and airbrushed men’s magazine photos.

As a small-city middle American, I confess that nude men on bicycles on a city street would have left me at a loss for words. However, I do love (intellectually, at least) the more relaxed European attitude toward nudity.

I am currently working on sewing a pair of shorts that fit my large waist without ballooning over my hips. Does walking count as sport?

13. Erika says:

Are you still in Amsterdam? Tomorrow morning there’s a fabric market at westerstraat, where they sometimes have fabulous cheap fabric :)

• That’s an eight minute walk from where we are staying. I’ve just discovered!

• Tanya says:

Also there are fabric shops and markets on Albert Cruypstraat (have written that correctly? Probably not!). The number 5 tram from Central station, takes you there. However, if you discover other fabric places out there please let us know!!

Also just to let you know a couple of weeks ago, there was the naked bike ride in London too!!

14. onedabbles says:

Quick glance without my glasses and I thought the gentlemen were wearing the same slightly wrinkled fabric that needed ironing…
    Enjoy your break. Amsterdam looks beautiful.

15. Kathy Lynch says:

Amsterdam IS fun! We lived there for 3 months late last year – quite a change from the Aussie Summer! If you have time, Utrecht (charming University town a short train ride away) has a great fabric market on Saturdays (not to be confused with the “bits of everything” market in the town centre). It’s a 10 minute stroll from the station. I purchased linen for E3 a metre!! Have fun!

16. I’m glad you are enjoying your stay! I have my sew sporty contribution ready since quite a while (and I’m very proud of how it turned out) Keeping it a secret for a few more days :)

17. Caitlin says:

I love your necklace! It’s like tiny bunting around your neck.

18. 916susanc says:

My husband is concerned those mime be rental bikes and wants to know if the gentlemen perhaps had to put a deposit on the seat? Eww! :)

19. Fadanista says:

My son has just been in Amsterdam (checked those cyclists carefully in case one of them was him!) and he actually said he saw people knitting – maybe it was you! How wonderful. You look so content and peaceful. Enjoy!

20. i was asked to participate in a naked ride a few weeks ago. i replied, i never ride without helmet, gloves and shoes. if that’s okay, let’s roll! lovely photos, took a train to the burbs many years ago to visit a friend’s family, went past flower farms to die for.

21. …snigger… they all look in good shape ;)

22. Bellbird says:

Amsterdam looks lovely! Those riders are certainly bold. I must admit to admiring their carefree/clothes-free attitude! Haven’t seen any nude cyclists round these parts but there’s a first for everything!

23. It is a global phenomenon. My daughters friend was very amused to see them here in Exeter at the weekend. http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Photos-Exeter-World-Naked-Bike-Ride/story-21305450-detail/story.html

24. It might be my sportiest summer yet thanks to your inspirational Sewathon!

25. susancarey says:

Have a lovely time in Amsterdam! You will love the fabric shop Boeken in de Nieuwe Hoostraat 31 If you have time to visit, it’s a must see for sewing fans!

26. Elizabeth says:

Thanks for this post, I needed a good chuckle!

27. Jenny Lester says:

I absolutely love Amstersam and have been there many times -‘however you have discovered many more fabric places that I ever have. Did go to the beautiful button shop once. For anyone reading this there is also an amazing haberdashery store in Eindhoven called Smitje selling absolutely everything you could wish for – from a tape measure to every colour and width of ribbon, feather and an absolutely huge range of buttons!! A yummy find if you are ever in that location!!
    Anyone know of a yarn store in Calais?? There next week and so far no joy on Google!!