Kamikaze Butterflies

So, the third attempt is when you get it right. Right?

Mistake number one happened early on – at the cutting out. I really should have placed the pattern pieces so that the finished dress would have butterflies dancing up my body. Instead, I placed the pattern pieces so that orange butterflies were dive bombing down my torso to their certain deaths. Oh, well. Move on!

I also decided to adjust the front bodice at the cutting out stage, making it a tad narrower across the shoulders. Despite going down two sizes, this dress was still roomy around the upper chest. I’ve noticed this issue before, on the Rooiboo dress, so I think it’s probably an idiosyncrasy of my body. If I was a better informed Sewist, I’d probably know exactly what this issue is. But I’m not, and I don’t. This adjustment was fine, except I didn’t think to make a similair adjustment to the back bodice. So I have more of those spontaneous darts going on around the back. The adjustment has also made the armholes tighter and brought the neckline closer to my throat. Keeping up?

What this actually means is that despite three different versions of this dress, the best-fitting one – despite its own  trials and tribulations – is the first one. Isn’t that just the way? As I commented to my boyfriend, ‘Nothing I’ve made has ever been perfect and I don’t think anything I make will ever be perfect.’ But that’s okay.

So, look. I know you’re all getting worried about me. Three versions? Don’t you have anything better to do, Karen? I’m kind of done, now. I’ve bought some cheap denim for my first attempt at the Simplicity 2512. I’m in great company, turning my hand to this skirt – Erica B‘s just made a version! I’m starting to feel nervous about making this in denim. Even handling the fabric in this heat makes me want to pass out in a swoon, and I’m now wondering if it’s going to be too structural. Oh, well. Let’s just have a go, shall we? We already know it won’t be perfect.

Finally, as we put the Simplicity 2591 to bed, let’s remind ourselves how many attempts it took me to get this dress out of my system:

Just take your medication, Karen.

Coming up:

• I meet up with Tilly and the Buttons on Sunday for an outing to the Horrockses exhibition in London. Watch out city of ours – there are Sewists abroad who may be in danger of getting over-excited.
  • Deep breath. I’ve decided to invest in a new sewing machine. I will be asking for opinions!

Hang on to your hats, people!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Kamikaze Butterflies

1. Geogrrl says:

As another perfectionist, I can say you’re pretty much the only one will notice. This version is really, really cute!

2. Elizabeth says:

Oh so funny your suicidal butterflies. I don’t think anyone would notice had you not pointed it out. I think the dress is lovely! Beautiful fabric.

3. Tilly says:

Woop! Can’t wait for Sunday!

If you hadn’t mentioned the suicidal butterflies I wouldn’t have noticed that detail… but now that you have… hehe! Still looks like a gorgeous dress though, and I can’t see any of the things you’re critiquing from over here…

4. stitchywitch says:

I think it’s very cute – I love that you called them kamikaze butterflies! About the fit… do you have a copy of “Fit for Real people” or “Fast fit?” I find both those really helpful in diagnosing fit problems, because they teach you how to read the wrinkles. I often have extra room in the upper chest too, and I think it’s because I have a very narrow upper chest in relation to my shoulders. I have to cut different sizes in each sometimes.

But I have to say, I can’t see the extra room here, so I think you shouldn’t worry about this one. Can’t wait to see your skirt – Erica’s version was lovely, and it made me think about making one of my own (I have the pattern.) I’m sure denim will be lovely, just be sure to use a denim needle!

5. Joanna says:

Your dress is so pretty, and it looks as if it fits perfectly. I love to read your adventures in sewing.

6. Thanks for your comments, everyone! Aw, I love your support. Stitchywitch – I am going to go and order those books right now. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

7. Roobeedoo says:

Now that you point it out, I think I prefer the downward-diving butterflies – it makes it look as if they spotted your dress and zoomed down for a closer look! It looks great! Love that neckline on you.

8. Pingback: Adapting an old blouse, the Karen way « Did You Make That?

9. Pingback: MMJ9 – The King Kong of Kings Cross | Did You Make That?

10. Pingback: MMJ30 – I Made It! | Did You Make That?