Time Will Tell

Remember this?

Recall when I played Email Russian Roulette and lost? The Jacqmar scarf with the badly-repaired rolled hem?

Then I invested in a new pattern and some denim fabric:

And cut out the pattern:

No cutting table for me, just the sofa.

I cut out the denim today. It was immediately clear that the special bias binding details on this skirt would be way too much if I used denim bias tape too. Sew through five layers of denim? No, thank you! I needed something much lighter. Much, much lighter. Cloud soft, marshmallow light, soft as silk. Silk… Mmmm, silk… I remembered the Jacqmar scarf. Couldda, wouldda, shouldda? Didda! I went and grabbed that scarf and lunged with my pinking shears. And whilst I was cutting out, I remembered the skirt’s pockets:

Pocket detail. What do you think?

Whilst I was rocking the revolutionary, I decided to throw caution to the wind and attempt my first ever flat felled seam. It’s not perfect, but it’s mine:

Curvy Flat Felled Seam

That’s the same denim in both photos, believe it or not. One snapped outdoors, one beneath an energy saving lightbulb (urgh! I hate them).

So, lots that’s been achieved. Lots still to do. Lots that could still go wrong. I’m braced for things going wrong. I haven’t done a muslim and the fitting could be way out. I may fail at inserting a zip. That denim is meant to be a nightmare to gather. But I’m having a go and having fun at the same time. I must say, this pattern provides a great combination of discipline and creativity – you really have to think about fabric choices and contrast bias tapes. It’s been one of those patterns that I’ve spent a lot of time thinking and dreaming about. (Do you dream about your sewing? I do, a lot.)

So, let’s see what happens next. It could be fabulous or  disaster. Time will tell.

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Time Will Tell

1. Tilly says:

Hahaha! LOVE your pattern cutting technique – very precise, I’m sure. Looking forward to seeing the finished skirt! xx

2. stitchywitch says:

I cut my patterns out while lying down on the floor in front of the tv. I refuse to stand to cut paper. Your skirt is looking great – congrats on that felled flat seam, I have yet to attempt one! I love contrasting bias tapes – I’m addicted to buying Japanese tapes off Etsy, even though I hardly ever use them. Maybe I’ll be able to use some when I make this skirt. I can’t wait to see yours!

3. Tilly – ha, ha, yes. Precision is everything to me. That and a nice. soft sofa.

Stitchywitch – the flat felled seam is ridiculously easy, but precision is everything and it’s difficult to get the tension on both rows of sewing to match because on one row you’re going through two layers of fabric and on the other row you’re going through three layers.

4. rachel says:

I cut out my patterns in the exact same way – most of the time I’m also watching TV which I’m sure increases my precision!

Can’t wait to see the finished version – I’ve been eyeing off that pattern for ages. Did you see Erica B’s version? It is gorgeous.

And — I do dream about sewing. I go to sleep thinking about it, and sometimes it keeps me awake. I really need to get a little professional help me thinks.

5. Roobeedoo says:

That is going to be such a special “high end” finishing touch to your skirt – just remember not to throw it in a hot wash!

6. Aldara says:

Beautiful pocket detail, I can’t wait to see the finished skirt!

7. jen says:

That skirt looks so cute, I cannot wait to see it finished.

I cut everything out on the floor – everything!! I have to shut my kitten in the bedroom though because he loves to play with patterns/fabric/anything he can get his little paws on.

8. Pingback: The Step Away Sensation « Did You Make That?

9. Elizabeth says:

wow, your pattern cutting technique is a new one to me. 😉 Can’t wait to see your skirt.