Mind Your Own Beeswax!

A Week In A Life

Hey, there. What’s been going on with you? Lots has been happening this end, though no FOs to share. I’ve been working on a new top to go with jeans – nothing very exciting, but I am glad to have something that doesn’t tax my brain too much right now.

The Simplicity 2512 skirt has been worn – a lot. On four different occasions in the past week! And today it passed the ultimate test, when I cycled home from work wearing this skirt:

Cycle helmet – ultimate Sewist accessory

I don’t particularly recommend cycling in this skirt. The hem is too narrow, it rode up to more than mid-thigh and if it wasn’t for the industrial strength of denim I think there could have been a very nasty accident – and I don’t mean coming off my bike, I mean seams splitting.

So, having established that this skirt is a winner, it felt necessary to start thinking about version number two. First of all, I bought some gorgeous wool fabric from ebay. Then I popped into Macculloch and Wallis and spotted a rather amazing selection of bias tapes:

Stop salivating!

Then I popped across the road to John Lewis Oxford Street and before I knew it, I had the ingredients for an autumnal take on the Simplicity 2512:

Things of Beauty

So, let’s get down to the nitty gritty. Inspiration doesn’t come free:

Two metres of wool: £16

Caress Lining fabric:£6

Bias tape of dreams: £1.88 (Is that all?!)

Zip: £2.50

TOTAL £26.38

Let’s add half the cost of the pattern, and I’m probably looking at £30. Which means that this isn’t my usual £2-a-metre-from-the-market exercise in sewing. I’d better make this count!

In other news, I spotted this gorgeous new Rowan Silk Twist wool in the John Lewis haberdashery:

Not cheap, but oh so gorgeous

And finally bought some beeswax for my hand sewing:

Beeswax

So, now I own beeswax. But what the heck am I meant to do with that lump? I asked the sales assistant and she had no idea. Why does this piece of wax mean that I no longer have knots when I hand sew? How do I use it? Hints, tips? Please…..!

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Mind Your Own Beeswax!

1. Karin says:

The bias tape is gorgeous! Great find.

2. Lynne says:

To use the beeswax, thread your needle as you normally would. Hold the tail of the thread in your thumb and forefinger, and run the length of thread across the beeswax, using your other thumb or finger to press the thread into the beeswax.

I ADORE that bias tape!

3. superheidi says:

Thanks for the bit on cycling. Now there you got me thinking of an interesting subject. As a Dutchie, I cycle on a daily basis and I can assure you, many vintage skirts and dresses are not really up to the job.

That wool looks like knitting candy and good luck with the new skirt!

4. Roisin says:

If you’ve worn your denim one so much then the cost-per-wear of £30 is going to be really low….sounds like a good investment to me. I really like the way the skirt looks paired with that navy top – I’m really interested to see what you do next! x

5. I like your logic, Roisin!
    Lynne – thanks for the advice.
    Superheidi – another sewing cyclist, hurrah!
    Karin – yes, isn’t the tape lovely?

6. Roobeedoo says:

I go with Roisin’s conclusion too – £30 is a bargain if you wear it at least once a week all season! And since this year’s high street “default price” seems to be around £60 (everything used to cost £39, now it is £60!) it is still a huge saving and will be exactly what you want rather than a compromise.

7. superheidi says:

Actually that inspired me to do a post on the matter. I linked your post and hope it’s okay? Thanks!

8. Julie says:

With regards to the beeswax, I would also add a good pressing after you wax the thread. I run my thread through the wax twice. Then I fold a piece of paper in half lengthwise. I put the thread in the fold of the paper and run a hot, dry iron over it. You won’t get any beeswax on your fabric and the thread won’t knot or tangle up as you hand stitch. Works like a dream.

9. Suzanne says:

You did a great job on the skirt and were very dareful to cycle in it…lol!

10. Pingback: Amy Butler Swing Bag « Did You Make That?