Hysteria Hits

Image of the Pointer Sisters courtesy of Rick Kramer

I‘m so excited

And I just can’t hide it

I’m about to lose control

And I think I LIKE it!

So I trilled as I unpacked my new sewing machine this evening.

‘You sound like a pub singer,’ my boyfriend told me.

‘I don’t care,’ I retorted, ‘Let’s get excited!’

Can you tell? The new sewing machine has arrived. Here’s a blow-by-blow report.

1. Greeting the delivery man.

‘This is very exciting!’ I told him, as I answered the door.

‘Sign here,’ he replied.

Delivery men! They have no idea. Here is the virgin box, still unopened:

2. Unpacking

I’ve already texted my boyfriend to let him know the sewing machine has arrived. Oddly, there is no immediate text back. What’s wrong with the man? It’s not like he has a job to do. Hmmm. Actually… So I go for the scissors and begin the opening process:

Perfection In A Box

3. Intimidation

I’m feeling a bit scared now. Have you seen some of the equipment that comes with a new sewing machine?

I barely know what half these things are.

Dutifully, I go back to my desk and do an afternoon’s work. I resist the siren call of the new equipment downstairs that is giving off that seductive smell of packaging waiting to be torn open. Finally, the end of the work day arrives and I  set up the sewing machine:

And that’s when the real silliness starts. Well, if you have a load of new stitches to try out it would be rude not to:

A taste free zone? You decide.

I need to go and have a lie down now.

11 Responses to Hysteria Hits

1. Susannah says:

OH WOW.

You’re sleeping curled up around it, right? I would be.

Congratulations on your new Bernina!!

2. Tilly says:

Lovely! That last pic is the pocket detailing on your new pair of jeans, right?

3. superheidi says:

Oh… *gasp*

Well, looks like you’ve got a walking foot, can’t explain it in English. It’s like this:
    It’s a good tool if you want to line up different pieces of a garment with checks or stripes at the seams, so the pattern continues evenly.
    Or for fabric that won’t slide easy, think of faux-leather. (but I never used it to be honest.)

4. Aldara says:

Hehe, cool! Those are some lovely stitches!

5. Debi says:

Wow! How exciting! Those stitches are amazing!!

6. superheidi says:

but maybe you already knew about walking feet?!

7. I’d heard of walking feet (Stitchywitch recommended one) but had no idea what they were or what they do, so all help gratefully received. Thank you! And thank you all for your comments, especially Tilly who clearly knows my fashion sense very well!

8. Roobeedoo says:

Hee hee hee – has yours got an ENORMOUS bag of silicon gel beads packed beside the flywheel? Mine has! Hours of fun! (Or is that just me?)

9. Suzanne says:

Have fun with your new toy!

10. Shazza says:

How exciting to get your new Bernina! Did you know that you can get a free days course so that you get to know your machine inside out. They’re held at their tuition centre in Goswell Road, near Barbican. Really worth taking a day off work for!

11. Elizabeth says:

Congratulations! I love getting a new machine. I’ve been playing with “new” Featherweight. Enjoy!