The Okay-You-Were-Right-And-I-Was-Wrong Dress

Alright, so I made a sodding muslin.

So my first muslin of the V1183 dress proved that a second muslin was definitely needed if I was going to address the issue of that baggy middle and the gaping arm holes. I decided that for once in my sewing career I would take the Right Way rather than Bodge Road.

I visited MacCullough & Wallis and asked for some muslin for an, erm, muslin. In her best cut glass accent the sales assistant asked me, ‘Do you mean canvas for a toile?’ Er, yes, that would be the one.

With my new rotary cutter and attention to detail I commenced making my muslin. I followed The Cupcake Goddess‘s top tip of using a longer stitch length for a) speed and b) easy ripping out.  I also made adjustments for a narrow upper chest to the front bodice pieces and sliced a good inch off the depth of the midriff pieces.

Conclusions? Like several other Sewists I ended up taking the muslin in at the side seams. I also still had a baggy middle section so made some tucks to my midriff. As soon as I was satisfied with the midriff I ripped it out and used it as a template for a new pattern piece:

Adjusted Midriff Piece

I’ll be honest. I feared that the midriff would still give me issues in the final make, but I’d gone as far as my skills would take me. It was time to start cutting out the fabric for the real dress:

Slices like a dream with that rotary cutter.

And finally, before commencing on the final make I thought I would sew a test seam on some scraps of fabric. Each seam demands a top stitch and an edge stitch, so I decided to employ a quilting foot, as recommended for this dress by Adventures From The Sewing Studio, to keep lines straight:

Extremely Satisfying Sewing

There’s nothing else I can do now. Procrastination won’t help; I’ve done all my research and experimentation. The Paris fabric has been cut.  It’s time to start sewing…


This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Okay-You-Were-Right-And-I-Was-Wrong Dress

  1. stitchywitch says:

    I love your final fabric – can’t wait to see it! I’m definitely going to take your advice and muslin this one, as well as use my edgestitch foot.

  2. rachel says:

    It looks so professional with the quilting foot! I can’t wait to see it finished.

  3. Debi says:

    oooohhhh…I am so excited! I must get myself one of those quilting feet—that looks very useful for straight stitching!

  4. Jacky says:

    Good Girl!
    Now you can use that toile, and design another dress. eg doing a strapless – Draw a line on it above the bust, thats modest enough for you, cut it, pin in darts to make it fit, cut a new pattern, and make the adjustments, and ta da, your a pattern maker. Easy Peasy..

    Love Jacky

  5. Tilly says:

    Good work, Karen! And well done for braving MacCullough & Wallis, I’m far too scared to go in there. Can’t wait to see your finished dress…

  6. Roobeedoo says:

    OooooH! Exciting! I wonder if there is a quilting foot in the bag of tricks that came with my sewing machine…? That would solve so many dodgy eyesight issues!

  7. Hmmm in my brief days as a fashion student, we definitely referred to it as muslin (the fabric) and the mock up garment as a toile and never called anything canvas. I’m surprised Maculloch and Wallis is still going, I was very sad that VV Rouleaux went from Marylebone High St.

    Nice dress. I’m dreadful at sewing hence my failed fashion career!!

  8. Elizabeth says:

    Ooooh your topstitching looks delicious! I love my rotary cutter and can’t imagine using scissors to cut my fabric. However, I do love a good pair of scissors. I was using the cheapo ginghers for awhile, “saving” my good scissors for who knows when. But I broke out the good ones and don’t want to go back to the cheapies again!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.