Rooibos – A Year On

Admiring My Work

If it’s autumn, it must be time to pull my wool Rooibos dress out of the wardrobe. Yippee! I haven’t worn this dress since the Spring. So after several months’ absence, what did I think to this make and what would I do differently:

• I might reduce the width on the shoulders. They’re a bit ‘blocky’.
  • I would choose the lining fabric for the collar detail much more carefully. I used some cheap as chips purple stuff that refused to crease – or press. Not ideal for that tiny turned collar.
  • I would make a narrow upper chest adjustment. This time last year I didn’t even know I had a narrow upper chest!
  • I would try to give a better quality finish and attempt a handpicked zipper.

What would I do the same?

Wool, wool, wool. The best versions I’ve seen of this dress – Gertie’s and Green Apple’s – have used wool. It suits this make so well, particularly the panelled seams down the front torso.

Those three buttons down the front, rescued from an aged cardigan. I’d definitely go down the button route again!

What do I like about this dress?

It’s incredibly flattering. I’ve already talked on this blog about my paunch. In this dress – what paunch?

It has pockets – and piping! There’s nothing as satisfying as making your own piping.

So take my advice: buy yourself some wool and make a Rooibos. It’s the perfect autumn dress.

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Rooibos – A Year On

1. Tasia says:

So pretty! It’s nice when you pull out last season’s projects and still enjoy wearing them. A true classic!

2. Roobeedoo says:

It looks fab! I am scared of the Rooibos – seems like everyone has to re-design the pattern to fit and that’s just not my idea of fun!

3. Funnygrrl says:

You had me at pockets!
    Great dress. I may have to try this along with the Crepe, Gertie’s next sew along.

4. I can’t decide about the Crepe dress. It’s lovely, but I have a feeling it wouldn’t be very flattering to my figure.

5. Jane says:

I’ve been procrastinating about the Rooibos for ages but this has convinced me to put it on my list. Definitely in wool too, it’s gorgeous. x

6. Christine says:

Oh I love the idea of a wool Rooibos! Yours turned out great and I love the buttons! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

7. Pingback: MMJ30 – I Made It! | Did You Make That?

8. Tia Dia says:

Karen, i just want to say that your Rooibos is the only one I really like anywhere. I just made this dress for a friend out of super lightweight poly-cotton. It’s a meh dress, IMHO, but yours takes the cake, even with all the tweaks you’d do if you made it again. You’re right: wool is a must for this dress.