Crochet Crash Course

24 hours later…

Wow. Is this my fastest crafting project ever, from purchase through to finished object, via a crash course in learning how to crochet? If you want something fast, easy, soothingly repetitive and deeply satisfying then you really must learn how to crochet. And isn’t the snood wonderful? I love its structural feel, sitting in deep folds around my throat. Oh yeah, and it’s warm. This could save me from dragging my Dr Who scarf around with me for the rest of winter.

So what did I learn during this process?

You say tomato, and I say tomato.

Ah, UK and US. What’s that quote? ‘Two nations divided by a common language.’ Did the man who said that know how to crochet? This baffled me for a bit. Carly’s tutorial instructed me to double crochet each second line but the Youtube link she provided talked of single crochet. I chose the path of blind faith and just did what the video was showing me to do, making a mental note to let Carly know that she’d made a mistake in her tutorial. Then I looked again. Ah. What we call double crochet, Americans call single crochet. Obviously. Contradictions such as these abound in crochet, I fear. Stay alert, readers!

Purple loveliness

Don’t hate me because I’m left-handed.

Ouch. How to feel like a seven-year-old girl again? Try to follow video tutorials from the right-handed and translate everything into left-handed logic. This really reminded me of being a child, struggling to negotiate scissors cutting with blunt edges, not understanding that cutlery, doors, zips (yes, even zip openings!), bike bells are all made and positioned for the convenience of another part of the population. This was humbling and made me understand afresh what a challenge it is to be a child learning. My ickle wickle childish left-handed brain hurt! But I got there eventually.

Crocheting is fast.

Carly told me this snood could be made in two hours. She wasn’t joking! A morning, a lunchtime, an evening session in front of the telly and I was done. Instant gratification. I like this a lot.

Crocheting can’t unravel.

Another thing I really like. If you make a mistake, casting back doesn’t risk the danger of everything unravelling. Each row of work is isolated. This also means no casting off. When you’re done, you’re done!

That’s it! I have lots of other crocheting plans now. Christmas decorations are a no brainer. A grannie blanket in bright colours? The opportunities are endless. Thanks to all the people who gave me resource tips and especial thanks to Carly, who provided the tutorial.

I feel wise as a crocheting owl now. Serendipitious, then, that I invested in earrings to go with my new-found knowledge:

Too-wit, too-woo! The earrings of owly wiseneosity.

This entry was posted in crochet and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Crochet Crash Course

1. Roobeedoo says:

Oh that looks SO cosy! What did you say that yarn was again? Nothing like a spot of woolly instant gratification!

2. Carly says:

Yay! It’s so satisfying to do isn’t it, once I got started I just wanted to crochet EVERYTHING. I’ve also amended my blog post to make it clearer re the UK/US terms.

Looking good! I’ve worn mine so much it’s starting to get tatty already, I guess it’s a good thing they’re so quick to make.

Cx

3. Debi says:

You’ve convinced me to learn to crochet!! It looks so warm!

4. Kjirsten Cantrell says:

Love your crocheting! It looks so cozy!

Love the owl earrings as well! 😀

5. stitchywitch says:

Love it! Very warm looking, and I’ve seen those everywhere in the shops this year! Crochet was actually my first entry into making my own things, and I really love it – I can’t do it so much anymore because of my wrists, which makes me sad. I can’t wait to see what you crochet next!

6. Tilly says:

Wowzers! Good work! I don’t think my RSI fingers could handle crochet, so I’ll have to admire from afar, but it looks like a great skill to have under your belt.

7. Thank you all for your lovely comments.

8. Lizzytish says:

Hello from a Canadian leftie. I love the tomato colour….my brain wants to call it plum! I’m tempted to follow your lead, espeically with the wind chill factor in Toronto making it a very chilly -10Celcius. Also I see lovely Christmas gifts for my two tenneage nieces. Can I succeed in learnaing to crochet & add this to my handmade Christmas list? Time will tell! Thanks for a great post. Cheers!

9. Carys says:

Such a gorgeous snood! I love the purple.

A tip from a fellow left-handed crochet type – I sometimes watch the videos in a mirror so I can see them the “right” way, the same goes for looking at the pictures in books! I completely appreciate how frustrating it can be, believe me 🙂 there are a good number of left handed YouTube tutorials though, especially for crochet flowers.

10. Tasia says:

Wow! What a great fast project! Was that your first time crochet-ing? I’ve been pondering learning to knit but I like fast and easy and things that don’t unravel.. Anyways, it’s fantastic! Well done you!

11. Aldara says:

Congrats on learning crocheting! (And from a mirror-tutorial no less!) I haven’t done it in years but I’m wondering if I should invest in some NZ merino wool while I’m here and make one of those cute little beanie hats…