Go Away, I’m Blogging

Best Blogger’s Christmas Present Ever?

Don’tcha love it? My boyfriend bought me this for Christmas from The Literary Gift Company. This website sells loads of really brilliant stuff, and when I spotted this item I gave him strict instructions – Buy!

What’s that I hear you ask? ‘Karen, what’s hanging up in the background of the shot?’ That? Oh, it’s just a third make of the Cynthia Rowley 2472. I’m not going to model it for you – we all know what it looks like by now. It whips up in an evening, from cutting out to final seam and this marks my Best Ever Bargain on Walthamstow market. The fabric came in at £1.65 a metre:

It’s another soft jersey, with a teeny tiny sequin detail that you should just be able to make out. Initially, I walked away from this fabric because I’m not a sequin girl. But then I spotted it on a second trip and again found myself instinctively drawn to the print and the classic colours. At that price, who was I to argue? I bought less fabric than this pattern usually demands because I was going to hack it back to T-shirt length again. I got away with it by a whisker. If the shop holder had cut a couple of centimetres less, I’d have been thwarted.

‘I’m so clever! I’m so clever!’ I trilled to my boyfriend. ‘I guesstimated just right.’

He gave me a long, sardonic look.

‘How much would an extra half a metre have cost you?’ he asked.

I scratched my head. ‘Um. About eighty pence,’ I admitted.

But that’s not the point, is it? I just can’t bear those bits of fabric left hanging around. You feel guilty throwing them out, but then you never do anything with them. This material would NOT make good quilting.

A final Christmas present shot. My inspired and inspiring sister, Tracy, bought me the below. Much lovely knitting lined up. Which is a good job, because my make of the Metro cardigan has turned into a disaster, darling! Mum’s made the same knit with similairly dreadful results, so I know it’s not just me. It’s rare indeed for me to give up on a knit. I’m going to attempt to frog the wool. Any tips on frogging? I’ve never done this before. The wool seems to catch easily, making this a frustrating process.

Right. Off to paint the bathroom!

8 Responses to Go Away, I’m Blogging

1. V. Kathryn Evans says:

What a treat to catch up on your blog :o) Have to get that pattern, I NEED it.

2. Tilly says:

Haha! Great prezzies. Ooh and I LOVE that fabric. Yet another reason for a pilgrimage to E17…

3. Colette says:

Ha! I need a cup just like that…love it!

4. Cindy says:

Thanks for the kind comment on my blog. I am always inspired by your sewn garments. And…I need to buy that mug!! My kids would get the biggest laugh from it!

5. Siga says:

Do you know already which pattern you’ll try out of the Vintage Knitwear book? Too bad your Metro cardigan didn’t turn out nice. I hope the frogging works fine.

6. Carly says:

I love that fabric! The sequins are so pretty, really subtle. I’m hoping to get a wee trip to Walthamstow market soon, is there a best day to go or is it only on certain days?

Cx

7. Elizabeth says:

I love that fabric. What a great deal!!! *jealous*

8. Felicity from Down Under says:

I’m doing some catching up on back issues, here. You know what you can do very easily with small amounts of leftover fabric? Make small lavender bags! What kind of fabric doesn’t matter. I use ll sorts of whatever I’ve got handy, including bits of leftover satiny boxer fabric, to make small pyramids. Generally I cut them a bit more than 2 inches square, sew on three sides, fill with lavender mix, fold with side seams centred to make pyramids, stitch across the bottom, then finish with pinking shears. They’re very easy and the pyramid shape means that, if you’ve put a ribbon on them, you can hang them in your wardrobe (if you haven’t, stick them in your tea towel drawer or in with your undies) and they get a lot of rubbing action when you’re moving things around. They give off a lovely aroma and, well, you know, they don’t use much fabric.