Happy Birthday To Me!

Some gifts

Clearly, my family and friends know me well. The giant pin cushion is perfect – I’ve been sick and tired of chasing my little pin cushion around a table. The ribbon wrapped oblong is a needle case. Both of these have been made by Crafty Friend.

Crafty Friend? A couple of years ago I bought her the Beignet pattern for her birthday. This was well before I’d started sewing myself – in hindsight, my future was all mapped out. Crafty Friend never got round to using this pattern (What? I can hear your screeches from here!) so she’s given it back to me for my birthday. Now, that’s called karma!

I told my friend that I’d started crocheting. ‘Ah,’ she said with the wisdom of experience. ‘The craft that eats wool.’ She’s not wrong! You get through wool really quickly with crocheting.

The tiny silver button charm you can see is from my family, an addition for my bracelet. Perfect!

My sister bought me a handmade bag that’s just the right size to hold my knitting:

Finally, I received something that is begging for a protective pouch to be made for it:

Just another excuse to sew something.

I’ll let you know how I get on with the Kindle, but so far the signs are good. Very good. Very good indeed…

41 ain’t so bad.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Happy Birthday To Me!

1. Elizabeth says:

Happy birthday!!!! May you have many an hour to while away at your sewing machine!

2. blankenmom says:

What great gifts – especially the homemade ones! Happy Birthday!

3. cidell says:

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your Kindle! I love my nook. I’ve been thinking of making a cover for it as the cheap ones I found on eBay aren’t doing it for me. You look fantastic!

4. SewOm says:

Happy Birthday! Congrats on the Kindle. I love mine – I’m sure you’ll enjoy yours. Though the convenience of buying books from the comfort of your own couch may put some stress on your budget. Fortunately, craft books are better as printed books.

And yes, crocheting does eat yarn. But it does so quickly!

5. Suzie says:

Happy Birthday! What lovely gifts – love the button charm.

And there is no way you’re 41!

6. Shivani says:

happy birthday! what lovely gifts 🙂

7. Ah – what great gifts! Happy Birthday Karen 🙂

8. Jane says:

Happy Birthday Karen, hope you have a wonderful day and get spoilt rotten.
    Welcome to the Beignet gang! x

9. Happy Birthday Karen
    Have a lovely day!

10. Roisin says:

Ooh, happy birthday Karen! I am quite excited to see your beignet at some point in the future 🙂

11. Carly says:

Happy birthday to you! I hope you have a lovely day. Those gifts are fantastic, I especially like the handmade bag and pincushion. I’ll also be interested to see what you do with the Beignet – I’m toying with purchasing the pattern but I need to teach myself how to make button holes first. Cx

12. Roobeedoo says:

Happy Birthday!! And fab gifts!

13. melissa says:

Ahhhhh happy birthday! You’re going to love the Beignet skirt – it’s fantastic and SO versatile!

14. Ceri says:

Eeek cyber-twins! I also turned 41 yesterday. Fancy that. Do you share my hatred of a valentine birthday? Rubbish supermarket flowers from husband because he’s too mean to pay the inflated prices at the florist (I actually didn’t even get crap supermarket variety this year), no date at a swanky restaurant for same reason. Ugh.

Anyway, hope you had a good day. I’ve been following your blog for a short time and you do make me laugh. Keep it up its great, your Welsh cyber-twin-fabric-lover, Ceri.

• How funny that we have the same birthday – and we’re the same age! I quite like having Valentines day as my birthday. Some of the population are feeling very loved up and giving out good vibes, which feels like a nice mood to have for your birthday, but lots of people are happy to scramble to the pub with you to avoid it all!

15. superheidi says:

hip hip hooray and enjoy your day!

16. Tilly says:

Happy birthday, Karen! My, what lovely gifts you got. Looking forward to seeing a Beignet from you soon – my favourite pattern. Ooh and I’d like some Kindle cover inspiration please – I’ve been contemplating making one for my boyfriend, possibly to look like a book but I can’t think which one…

Hope you have / had a lovely day! x

17. Amy says:

Happy belated birthday! Like the charm, Links of London rocks!

18. Tasia says:

Happy (very) belated birthday! The Beignet is a wonderful pattern, I bet it will be just lovely on you! The button charm is adorable too. I have a charm bracelet too, and my sewing-related charm is a tiny dress-form 🙂